Windoze 8

September 16th, 2014 at 7:50:25 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
It's NOT official:

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-invites-media-to-meet-the-next-version-of-windows-7000033210/?s_cid=e539&ttag=e539&ftag=TRE17cfd61

But there will be a major Microsoft event on Sept. 30th.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 22nd, 2014 at 1:41:33 PM permalink
Nareed
Microsoft is offering a whole lot of free gigabytes on One Drive for iOS, if you're willing to enable automatic backup for the camera roll with One Drive. It's good until the end of September (and in no way related to the iCloud breach<wink, wink>).
September 25th, 2014 at 8:01:52 AM permalink
Nareed
The big Microsoft event is less than a week away. Rumors contradict each other on whether or not a preview will be released just then.

I think I'll write up a rather long recap of the whole Windows 8 fiasco as seen by me. I'd love to send it to an online tech magazine or website, but I've no idea where exactly (InfoWorld is rabidly anti-Win8, but they already have a resident Win8 basher). I think I have a couple of new insights to offer, especially how MS erred in assuming familiarity with the Win7 desktop ways of doing things, when a lot of people still sued XP almost exclusively.

If I do this, though, I should write it up by Sunday and submit it then. Does anyone know which sites accept submissions over the transom?
September 29th, 2014 at 6:43:41 AM permalink
Nareed
Microsoft's big, low-key(ish) event is tomorrow. Curiously for once rumors have dried up almost completely.

Lately, in fact, many commentators seemed more interested in what MS will name their new Windows. I fail to see how that matters, except if it's named just plain "Windows," IT departments all over the world will face massive turnover in tech support.

The one thing I'm sure of is it won't be called Windows AE (Apology Edition), as I've suggested in various fora.
September 30th, 2014 at 10:52:40 AM permalink
Nareed
I'll do a complete write up later, but bits and pieces are leaking already. I'll tell of one:

The new OS is called Windows 10.
September 30th, 2014 at 11:43:51 AM permalink
Nareed
I seem to recall the Onion predicted MS would skip Windows 9 because it was too good and skip instead to Windows 10.

If so: :)
September 30th, 2014 at 12:01:57 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I figure it is only a matter of time before someone calls it "Windows X"

You know, to catch up with both Apple OS X and X-Windows at the same time.

Perhaps they will nickname the OS releases after the names of large dogs.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
September 30th, 2014 at 1:05:06 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Dalex64
Perhaps they will nickname the OS releases after the names of large dogs.

That seems to be the rationale. That is to say: this is the LAST ever major release of Windows. Ergo 10.

But large dogs is too like Apple. let's instead do Android one better: Windows X Meatloaf, Windows X Enchilada, Windows X Chicken Kiev, Windows X General Tso's Chicken, Windows X Cream of Tomato, etc.

Maybe they'll actually use the codename they'd have used had they been working on Windows 11 and so on. That would make this one Windows 10 Threshold. I can't predict the next one, but fans of Halo might (I understand it's some form of game).
October 1st, 2014 at 6:41:02 AM permalink
Nareed
There isn't really much to report regarding Windows 10, if you've been reading the leaks in the tech press for the past two months.

The big news:

Reborn start menu, which has tiles on one side <sigh>. I actually think the "live" tiles are a good idea, but the regular, and I suppose "dead," tiles all look the same to me. Maybe that's because they come only in a handful of primary colors and all are the same shape. But it seems all this is highly customizable.

"Modern" (or metro) apps will run in the desktop like normal programs.

The Start screen is toast. You can run it, but it won't appear at all times.

Apparently the "charms" bar is still there, but its future is uncertain.

With a 2-in-1 tablet/laptop machine, Win10 will run either in touch mode or desktop mode depending on whether there's a keyboard and mouse operating or not. Better yet, the systems asks, at least initially, whether you want to switch modes (if you check the "don't ask me again" box, good luck taking it back)

Snap view for 2 or more windows now works on the desktop.

There are now virtual desktops native to Win10.

The same OS will run on PCs, laptops, tablets and phones, and "apps" will be the same for all devices. The crucial "but" here is : But the experience, ie the interface, wont' be the same across devices (what took them so long to understand that?)

I intend to run the preview as soon as possible. Nothing's been said about the lock screen, the mandatory sign-in with an MS account or the awful flat theme. And it seems, too, those running the preview may have some ability to give feedback to MS about Win10.
October 1st, 2014 at 7:32:16 AM permalink
Nareed
Watch this space for the preview:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-coming-soon