Build a wall -- where?

Page 1 of 3123>
August 28th, 2016 at 11:25:10 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

A country is building a wall (660' by 11' ) to keep out illegal refugees. It's above the arctic circle between Norway and Russia.
August 30th, 2016 at 10:23:19 AM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
Quote: Pacomartin
A country is building a wall (660' by 11' ) to keep out illegal refugees. It's above the arctic circle between Norway and Russia.
660'???
Two football fields long?
How's that supposed to be effective? Why can't ya just go around or over it?
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
August 30th, 2016 at 10:36:42 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
How about build a wall along the Atlantic Ocean to keep Muslims out?

In a new poll: 31% of Trump supporters support this idea (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

You can't make this stuff up!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-immigration-atlantic-ocean-wall-migrants-us-election-2016-a7216966.html
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
August 30th, 2016 at 10:38:55 AM permalink
Canyonero
Threads: 10
Quote: DJTeddyBear
660'???
Two football fields long?
How's that supposed to be effective? Why can't ya just go around or over it?

There is a lake at the one end, and a "reindeer fence" at the other end.

Refugees that have crossed this particular border crossing in 2016: 0
(There was quite some refugee traffic in 2015 though, so proponents don't want that "to happen again".)

It is a publicity stunt by populist nutcases, that suddenly don't seem to mind government spending of tax kroner.
August 30th, 2016 at 10:46:26 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I find it hard to believe so many Mexicans are trying to cross into Russia that a wall is really necessary...
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 30th, 2016 at 11:23:49 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
I find it hard to believe so many Mexicans are trying to cross into Russia that a wall is really necessary...

Actually people are bringing Syrians into Russia and they are crossing over. In the 1980's there was a lot of people in the lab who escaped from Europe in the Nazi occupation. They would drive them to Canada and let them walk across the bridge so that they made it into the USA by foot. It seemed that there were laws in the 1940's that gave sanctuary to anyone who made it into the USA on their own power.
August 30th, 2016 at 12:27:04 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Where are they driving them from into Canada? Canada only has one land border with another country. :)

Or do you mean across the pack ice? If that happened, I'd love to read more about it.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
August 30th, 2016 at 12:33:07 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: TheCesspit
Where are they driving them from into Canada? Canada only has one land border with another country. :)

Or do you mean across the pack ice? If that happened, I'd love to read more about it.

No they took them in ships from Europe to the USA, but they were here illegally. So they would drive them across the same bridge to Canada, let them walk across the bridge back into the USA, and then drive them back to the laboratory.

Often they were Germans or Lithuanians. At the end of the Second World War, a group of German scientists working on the V2 and other rocket systems were captured by the Allies and ended up working on the US space program, while another lot of Germans ended up working for the Soviet Union.

The line from the film, “The Right Stuff”, based on the book of the same title by Tom Wolfe. The character who uttered those lines in the movie was Werner von Braun.
He says “Mr President, our Germans are better than their Germans”.
August 30th, 2016 at 12:43:43 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Pacomartin
No they took them in ships from Europe to the USA, but they were here illegally. So they would drive them across the same bridge to Canada, let them walk across the bridge back into the USA, and then drive them back to the laboratory.

Ahhhhh, they flag-poled them. Right makes sense.

I did much the same in reverse when I became a worker in Canada (I wasn't there illegally though, just had to get papers updated). Left Canada, went around the flagpole on the US side and came back in again. Though the second time I did it to be a resident of Canada I stopped for beer and burgers... and came in by a ferry.
Quote:

Often they were Germans or Lithuanians. At the end of the Second World War, a group of German scientists working on the V2 and other rocket systems were captured by the Allies and ended up working on the US space program, while another lot of Germans ended up working for the Soviet Union.

The line from the film, “The Right Stuff”, based on the book of the same title by Tom Wolfe. The character who uttered those lines in the movie was Werner von Braun.
He says “Mr President, our Germans are better than their Germans”.

Cheers.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
August 30th, 2016 at 2:23:23 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: TheCesspit
Ahhhhh, they flag-poled them.

I never heard that term before.
Quote: Saket Gokhale, Quora
From what I've heard, a lot of migrants that get their PR status usually choose to flagpole to change their 'landing status' (since once you switch from, for instance, a student visa to a skilled worker visa, you need to exit Canada and re-enter). This is called flagpoling.

The way it is done is you drive over to the border where Canadian Immigration will ask you where in the US you're headed. Once you show them your documents and tell them you've got your PR, they'll tell you to drive to the US border post and pull over. Once you go to the immigration counter, they'll ask you if you have a valid United States visa. If you don't, you'll be asked to wait for a while and then be issued with a letter that says you've been refused entry into the US. You got to take that letter and take the u-turn that the officer points out to you and head back to the Canadian side. Once you're there, inform the Canadian side that you're landing as a PR and from what I've heard, they let people in.

That said and done, while it is a 'common practice' one cannot say if it is 'legal'. Immigration officers retain the right to refuse entry to anyone though technically since you do not have a US visa, they probably won't leave you in no-man's-land forever.

The term seems to be only used in the Canadian border. I can't find any reference to it on the US-Mexican border.

US citizens often play fast and loose with rules. They visit on a 6 month tourist visa, and instead of applying for a longer visa, they drive back to the border every 5.5 months, and get another tourist visa. Most US citizens do not purchase property in Mexico because of the laws, and they simply rent. But you don't need a visa to rent property.
Page 1 of 3123>