Local politics

August 28th, 2016 at 7:04:12 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

A charter school in my area released this flyer and brought down the wrath of the local political establishment. It is no secret that one of the main reason parents put their kids in charter schools is they want them exposed to fewer drug dealers.
But if you put that in an advertisement then you lose your job.
August 28th, 2016 at 8:01:54 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
well, what do want the ad to say: More white kids, fewer black kids, fewer bullies, if we find someone doing drugs we can boot them out, the local schools can't. Heck one local school got its attendance up 90 percent just by installing a laundromat for all the unwed mothers (you wan't your daughter in that school???). Alot of the fear of drugs is cop generated and school generated ... why shouldn't they play on such fears.

Maybe are teachers are no betterand no worse, but we can FIRE them, the schools can't even have the principal in their room except on day a year and he has to give ten days written nlotice to the union first.

Its all fear and lies generated. What isn't.
August 28th, 2016 at 8:18:41 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Tough to the local establishment. They should be doing a better job in the government schools. Nationwide, between charters and home schooling, parents are voting with their kids since their real vote keeps getting ignored.
The President is a fink.
August 28th, 2016 at 11:36:48 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
When I was a teen it was drilled in my
head I would get a job after HS. Heck,
I worked when I was in school. There
was no safety net then, you worked or
you became a bum. Living with your
parents till you were 35 wasn't an option.

Now kids choose unemployment as a
career option. Welfare, food stamps,
living in their old bedroom till their
40 even if they get a degree. Even white
girls are taking their fatherless kid and
letting grandma raise it, just like blacks
have been doing for 50 years.

Meanwhile we have a crisis coming in a
lack of skilled labor. Plumbers, electricians,
carpenters, all once considered good family
raising jobs are now looked at by Millennials
as beneath them.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 28th, 2016 at 1:47:08 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Fleastiff
Its all fear and lies generated. What isn't.

Today's Headlines

Quote: Local News

'Liberty does not have a drug problem,' superintendent says.
Innovative Arts CEO resigns amid mailer controversy
The mailer was sent two weeks after someone placed a full-page ad in The Morning Call promoting the charter school. A Bethlehem Area School Board member raised questions about that ad at a public board meeting. Roy believes that's why the mailer targeted Liberty and was sent to Bethlehem households. He noted it wasn't effective — only two former Liberty students are enrolled at Innovative Arts Academy.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/bethlehem/mc-liberty-drug-arrests-20160827-story.html

In July the Charter school said it had enrolled 220 students and was hoping to get 300. Obviously someone felt a last ditch effort was needed. Hypothetically, what would happen if the Charter school had released a flyer, by pulling figures from a website, and listing the equivalent figures from the enrollment to date.

Quote: Liberty High School US NEWS

Total Enrollment 2,784
Total Minority Enrollment (% of total) 53%
Total Economically Disadvantaged (% of total) 54%
Full-Time Teachers 156
http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/pennsylvania/districts/bethlehem-area-sd/liberty-high-school-16811

Would that be unethical.

You know that people look at those websites when buying homes. Here is another high school 9.3 miles away

Quote: Nazareth Area High School US NEWS

Total Enrollment 1,539
Total Minority Enrollment (% of total) 9%
Total Economically Disadvantaged (% of total) 13%
Full-Time Teachers 94