2017 Eclipse

August 24th, 2016 at 10:14:26 AM permalink
Nareed
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 345
Posts: 12542
I'm considering a pilgrimage to Oregon(!) for next year's Total Solar Eclipse.

The show won't pass through Portland, but it will be easily visible a couple hours drive away. It will take place at a decent hour (10:20 am), and the northwest has the best chances for clear skies.

There's some time yet (361 days, give or take), so I'll be busy a while looking for the cheapest way to get there.

Ideally I'd combine it with a trip to Vegas, and I'd get to Oregon earlier in the day and return to LV in the afternoon. The problem with that is that Vegas in August ought to be a fair approximation of the inside of a kiln, perhaps a touch warmer <w>
Donald Trump is a fucking liar
August 24th, 2016 at 10:26:23 AM permalink
rxwine
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 145
Posts: 10281
Not sure what the cloud situation is in Oregon. In the desert, there's a good chance the sky will be clear, but otherwise...
Trump says his supporters are dumber than a sack of rocks
August 24th, 2016 at 11:05:34 AM permalink
terapined
Member since: Aug 6, 2014
Threads: 52
Posts: 6501
Quote: Nareed
I'm considering a pilgrimage to Oregon(!) for next year's Total Solar Eclipse.

The show won't pass through Portland, but it will be easily visible a couple hours drive away. It will take place at a decent hour (10:20 am), and the northwest has the best chances for clear skies.

There's some time yet (361 days, give or take), so I'll be busy a while looking for the cheapest way to get there.

Ideally I'd combine it with a trip to Vegas, and I'd get to Oregon earlier in the day and return to LV in the afternoon. The problem with that is that Vegas in August ought to be a fair approximation of the inside of a kiln, perhaps a touch warmer <w>


Check out Crater Lake
I found it pretty amazing
Largest fresh water lake in the USA
No streams feeding it, just rain
Old volcanoe
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 24th, 2016 at 11:16:11 AM permalink
Nareed
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 345
Posts: 12542
Quote: rxwine
Not sure what the cloud situation is in Oregon. In the desert, there's a good chance the sky will be clear, but otherwise...


The path of totality goes through Oregon, Idaho and Wyoming out West. I don't think there's any desert nearby.

Down in Nevada you may catch a partial eclipse. That's all well and good, but not worth traveling for.
Donald Trump is a fucking liar
August 24th, 2016 at 12:46:29 PM permalink
fleaswatter
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 1
Posts: 542
Here is the path of the eclipse as it crosses the US http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2017Aug21Tgoogle.html
sleepy Joe has dementia
August 24th, 2016 at 12:51:27 PM permalink
fleaswatter
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 1
Posts: 542
If you want to wait until 2024, there will be a total eclipse that will cross Mexico and the US
http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2024Apr08Tgoogle.html
sleepy Joe has dementia
August 24th, 2016 at 2:13:35 PM permalink
Nareed
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 345
Posts: 12542
Quote: terapined
Check out Crater Lake


Even if it's on the totality path, it's best to avoid tourist attractions which are sure to be crowded.


Quote:
Old volcanoe


OMG! You took English with Dan Quayl? :)
Donald Trump is a fucking liar
August 24th, 2016 at 4:29:04 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Member since: Feb 19, 2014
Threads: 15
Posts: 2282
Quote: terapined
Check out Crater Lake
I found it pretty amazing
Largest fresh water lake in the USA


Lake Michigan?
August 24th, 2016 at 5:02:25 PM permalink
terapined
Member since: Aug 6, 2014
Threads: 52
Posts: 6501
Quote: SOOPOO
Lake Michigan?


My mistake
Deepest, not largest
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"