NFL 2016

Page 4 of 8<1234567>Last »
November 2nd, 2016 at 2:27:05 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Face
THE GAME IS A GODDAMNED HOUR LONG! Wtf are you even TALKING about? It's like the NFL pension plan is a color seat, so they have to create all these shows just to employ people.

There's no more build up, no more EXCITEMENT. Stimulation only works when it's irregular. Make it regular and you become numb to it. That's the NFL in a nutshell. They looked for numbers and ignored the spirit, and that's what they got. And, it shows.

Yes and yes. Sunday is football, and Monday is a bonus. End there, all done. Thursday night football is BS
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 17th, 2016 at 3:44:37 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I found I totally lost interest in this season the moment, I'd say last Sunday, when I realized the Steelers forgot to field a defense for this season...

Seriously, grabbing the facemask is a dangerous thing and it shouldn't be merely penalized, it should be thoroughly banned. Meaning a player doing it gets ejected and then has a two game suspension without pay, plus a hefty fine. But that aside, I can understand a defensive player committing that particular indecency in extreme conditions when a loose ball carrier is getting away and will likely score a TD.

But to grab the facemask of a player who might gain half a yard more? And hand the other team a first down and 15 yards? That's criminally stupid and/or cruel.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 17th, 2016 at 4:26:38 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
I think the concussion protocol rules have actually made things worse. Use to be that if you hit somebody hard/dirty he just got up and kept on playing. If it was dirty hit your team might get a penalty or you might face personal retribution later in the game from him or his teammates.

Now if you hit one of oppositions stars hard in the head you take him out of the game. Even if he bounces up he has to leave and go through the concussion protocol. Well worth 15 yards and a first down.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 17th, 2016 at 4:48:54 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: kenarman
I think the concussion protocol rules have actually made things worse. Use to be that if you hit somebody hard/dirty he just got up and kept on playing. If it was dirty hit your team might get a penalty or you might face personal retribution later in the game from him or his teammates.

Now if you hit one of oppositions stars hard in the head you take him out of the game. Even if he bounces up he has to leave and go through the concussion protocol. Well worth 15 yards and a first down.

Tackles without wrapping are breaking people and the game. I understand why full body slams are done (it's to stop yardage, whereas a rugby tackle does allow some forward progress to be made before bringing them down), but it's much more wearing on the players AND often a great way to let the runner dodge and make more yards (see the Lions second level tackling this year).
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 17th, 2016 at 5:08:08 PM permalink
Nareed
Now if you hit one of oppositions stars hard in the head you take him out of the game. Even if he bounces up he has to leave and go through the concussion protocol. Well worth 15 yards and a first down

You're right. It may not go far enough. after all, we won't know whether it reduces cases of chronic brain injury until years from now. Perhaps players delivering bad hits should be ejected from the game.
November 17th, 2016 at 5:37:30 PM permalink
kenarman
Quote: Nareed
You're right. It may not go far enough. after all, we won't know whether it reduces cases of chronic brain injury until years from now. Perhaps players delivering bad hits should be ejected from the game.

Not that it has stopped all the violence in hockey but the rules are much stricter in the NHL. The player that makes the hit can be ejected from the game. This then automatically initiates a review by the NHL head office. They can suspend the player for further games (loss of salary) and/or fine the player for the incident.
November 17th, 2016 at 6:14:25 PM permalink
Nareed
Not that it has stopped all the violence in hockey but the rules are much stricter in the NHL. The player that makes the hit can be ejected from the game. This then automatically initiates a review by the NHL head office. They can suspend the player for further games (loss of salary) and/or fine the player for the incident.

Must be the Canadian influence.

I wonder how Canadian Football works as far as violence and injuries go. If it's still around. I think the last I heard about it was when Warren Moon came to the NFL from the Canadian league. I did watch a few games in the 80s which were broadcast on Mexican TV for some reason. I liked the larger end zone and the 3 down idea.
November 17th, 2016 at 6:17:36 PM permalink
kenarman
Similar to the NFL.
November 17th, 2016 at 9:37:26 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: Nareed
Must be the Canadian influence.

I wonder how Canadian Football works as far as violence and injuries go. If it's still around. I think the last I heard about it was when Warren Moon came to the NFL from the Canadian league. I did watch a few games in the 80s which were broadcast on Mexican TV for some reason. I liked the larger end zone and the 3 down idea.

3 downs is what kills the CFL. The kicking game is more interesting than a punt (ball is live, no fair catches, and the rouge), but it happens to often. The motions rules, passing, 12 men and the gap at line of scrimmage creates a more flowing game as well. 110 yard field with 20 yard zones as well helps. The players tend to be smaller, but suspect that's an effect of it being a second tier league rather than an aspect of the game

But 3 downs? Kills the game, as there's too many changes of possession, and not enough variety in the plays.

If it was a 4 down game, I'd probably watch much more of it. Cheaper to watch on TV and in person than the NFL. But that one little aspect... I'm always watching and wish I was watching an NFL game.

In Hockey, head hunting and goons has gone way down. Head shots and shoulders down checks has slowly gone out of favour. And the top tier guys have their heads on a swivel and more aware of the traffic in the game (still doesn't protect against cheap shots along the boards). Junior level, less so... the inexperienced players can often get lit up when they play the puck too much... checking is not introduced till later and later in the juniors.... which is just as well, as early matured boys playing physically against much smaller kids is a recipe for disaster.
November 18th, 2016 at 7:17:42 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: TheCesspit
But 3 downs? Kills the game, as there's too many changes of possession, and not enough variety in the plays.

I take it a punt results in a free ball, like a kickoff in the NFL?

Anyway, I've not seen a Canadian Football game in decades. But the 3 downs are an opportunity to do away with punting entirely. Just tweak the rules to make punts a terrible choice, justifiable only deep in your territory.

For example: IN the NFL two players can run towards the other side before the punt is away. What if that option were stricken?
Page 4 of 8<1234567>Last »