"The Silencing: How the Left Is Killing Free Speech"

Page 1 of 212>
August 9th, 2016 at 1:54:29 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Powers starts by making a distinction (and correcting a misimpression created by the subtitle): she is not talking about the “left,” she says, but about the “illiberal left,” the far end of the political spectrum that wants to suppress debate rather than engage in it. Good point. But it quickly gets lost in the rest of her book, as more often than not she refers only to “the left,”, including “lefty” pundits like Ed Schultz and liberal Democratic politicians. - See more at: http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/159901#sthash.sShpDX0Y.dpuf

What is interesting is that Powers leans liberal in most of her political views.

Powers supports
1) universal health care
2) civil unions for same-sex couples, and sees marriage strictly as a religious institution
3) comprehensive immigration reform and providing a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants
4) gun control
5) closing Guantanamo Bay and transferring its prisoners to federal prisons
6) the pro-life movement

Power opposes
1) the "don't ask, don't tell" on homosexuals serving in the military,
2) the Fairness Doctrine,
3) a constitutional amendment to ban flag burning.
4) the Iraq war
5) the death penalty
August 9th, 2016 at 2:22:23 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin

Powers starts by making a distinction (and correcting a misimpression created by the subtitle): she is not talking about the “left,” she says, but about the “illiberal left,” the far end of the political spectrum that wants to suppress debate rather than engage in it. Good point. But it quickly gets lost in the rest of her book, as more often than not she refers only to “the left,”, including “lefty” pundits like Ed Schultz and liberal Democratic politicians. - See more at: http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/159901#sthash.sShpDX0Y.dpuf

You can't expect her to keep saying "militant left" or whatever and add, "well, not everyone on the left....." to every statement.

We do have a serious problem with this. Colleges are thought control zones, and it keeps getting worse. Mainstream liberals need to start calling out the crazies who tolerate no dissent in their fiefdoms.
The President is a fink.
August 9th, 2016 at 2:25:39 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
So she should not oppose the Ultra Liberal Left because the speech they suppress is favorable to her? Freedom of speech exists or it does not, its not based on content or popularity or political correctness. Look at the rape accusations on college campuses... reporters drowned out by chants, facts ignored, only politically correct actions tolerated. Faculty in the fore front of the torch and rope bearing Lynch Mob.
August 9th, 2016 at 6:31:45 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
Freedom of speech exists or it does not, its not based on content or popularity or political correctness

Clint Eastwood is 86 years old and in a recent interview with Esquire he was quoted as saying “Everybody’s getting tired of political correctness” and that “We’re really in a pussy generation”.

Liberals are calling for a boycott of his films. I actually don't know if there exists an 86 year old man who doesn't think that way.

Have they never seen is homage to love conquering fear of multiculturalism?
August 9th, 2016 at 7:02:03 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Liberals are calling for a boycott of his films. I actually don't know if there exists an 86 year old man who doesn't think that way.

I haven't heard anything regarding boycotting Clint's movies
I think its absurd
like Repubs upset that Bradley Cooper is a Dem and attended the convention

Clint is about entertainment, he aint no Michael Moore
One of my faves, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot

He did lose his man card when he talked to the chair :-)

As to old men that don't think like Clint
Jimmy Carter is 91
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 9th, 2016 at 11:28:33 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Let's start with one very important thing: Freedoms of speech means that the government, at any level, may not take judicial cognizance of any type of speech. That is to say, you can neither be fined nor imprisoned by the government based solely on the content of your speech.

It does NOT you are free from any consequences of your speech by anyone other than the government. You can be fired from your job, for instance, for insulting a customer. People may choose not to vote for you in a race, based on your speech. You can be banned from a website or from a social media site, for things you say. And so on.

It also does NOT mean all speech must be provided with an outlet of any kind, much less mass media.

Carry on.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 9th, 2016 at 12:21:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

Liberals are calling for a boycott of his films.

That'll really hurt him. Not. If he was 86 and
didn't think this was a pussy generation,
something would be wrong with him. He
was a teen during WWII, the non pussyist
generation we've ever had.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 10th, 2016 at 5:22:49 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
That'll really hurt him. Not. If he was 86 and
didn't think this was a pussy generation,
something would be wrong with him. He
was a teen during WWII, the non pussyist
generation we've ever had.

This is an excerpt from an interview in Esquire when Eastwood was age 78 (he is now 86). It seems that he simply repeated the phrase "pussy generation" in last week's Esquire interview. We can presume he has been saying the phrase repeatedly over the years.

Quote: Eastwood in Esquire

In the first place, I was taller than most kids in my classes. In the second, we were always moving. Redding. Sacramento. Pacific Palisades. Back to Redding. Back to Sacramento. Over to Hayward. Niles. Oakland. So we were constantly on the road, and I was always the new guy in school. The bullies always thought, Here's this big gangly guy. We gotta take him on. You know how kids are. We gotta test him. I was a shy kid. But a lot of my childhood was spent punching the bullies out.

I kind of had a feeling "Make my day" would resonate, based upon "Do you feel lucky, punk?" in the first movie. I thought that Smith & Wesson line might hang in there, too. But "Make my day" was just so simple.

I still get it a lot.

As you get older, you're not afraid of doubt. Doubt isn't running the show. You take out all the self-agonizing.

What can they do to you after you get into your seventies?

Even in grammar school they taught you to go with your first impression. It's like multiple-choice questions. If you go back and start dwelling, you'll talk yourself out of it and make the wrong pick. That's just a theory. I've never seen any studies on it. But I believe it.

As Jerry Fielding used to say, "We've come this far, let's not ruin it by thinking."

My father had a couple of kids at the beginning of the Depression. There was not much employment. Not much welfare. People barely got by. People were tougher then.

We live in more of a pussy generation now, where everybody's become used to saying, "Well, how do we handle it psychologically?" In those days, you just punched the bully back and duked it out. Even if the guy was older and could push you around, at least you were respected for fighting back, and you'd be left alone from then on.

The band guys were looked down upon when I was a kid. I remember playing the flügelhorn and everybody said, "What the...?"

I don't know if I can tell you exactly when the pussy generation started. Maybe when people started asking about the meaning of life.
August 10th, 2016 at 1:08:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I don't know if I can tell you exactly when the pussy generation started. Maybe when people started asking about the meaning of life.

The best line in the piece. The only meaning
life has is what you give it. At one time people
understood this automatically, it's obvious.
Trouble starts when others tell you your life
has a meaning it doesn't really have. Religious
types, for instance.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 4th, 2022 at 9:09:55 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
BBC.com: Trump's Truth Social app branded a disaster.
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-60922717

This is why Twitter is private property. They spend a lot of money on their software to make sure it's not the disaster of Trump's Truth social app
Anybody here on it ROTFL
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
Page 1 of 212>