RIP Anton Yelchin (age 27)

Page 2 of 3<123>
June 20th, 2016 at 4:01:56 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
This happened to an old lady my dad used to know.

It seems that this kind of accident is not really rare. I found one source that says there are 6000 such accidents every year.
June 20th, 2016 at 5:15:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
It seems that this kind of accident is not really rare. I found one source that says there are 6000 such accidents every year.

We laughed because a woman that small
had no business owning a car that she
can't even see out of. It was a prestige
thing, she had to drive a Caddy.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 20th, 2016 at 10:39:12 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Evenbob
. When you saw her coming,
it looked like nobody was driving, she
looked through the wheel instead of
over it. How she never killed anybody
is amazing.

We had an old lady like that in my neighborhood when I was a teenager. Yes. Looked through the spokes of the steering wheel, not over it. She drove it right in a ditch one day. Got the car and her out. She was okay and so was the car.

I'm sorry I don't remember what the car it was, except it was a big blue car, and a guy I knew down at the corner gas station, told me they had to make some parts for her car because they couldn't buy them anywhere.

One day, we saw her out painting her whole car with a paint brush. All that still makes me chuckle today. Seeing a car coming down the road and not seeing the driver was funny enough.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 21st, 2016 at 11:45:54 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
All that still makes me chuckle today. Seeing a car coming down the road and not seeing the driver was funny enough.

If they sit on something so they can
see, their feet won't reach the pedals.
So they point the car and hope nothing
runs out in front of them.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 31st, 2016 at 8:50:43 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Domestic Box Office by end of 2nd weekend
$147,645,384 Star Trek (Budget: $150 million) Dom:$257,730,019+ Foreign: $127,950,427= Worldwide: $385,680,446
$146,117,582 Star Trek Into Darkness (Budget: $190 million) Dom: $228,778,661+ Foreign: $238,602,808= Worldwide: $467,381,469
$105,720,378 Star Trek Beyond (Budget: $185 million) Dom: $105,720,378+Foreign: $54,800,000= Worldwide: $160,520,378

What happened to this franchise? I think they expected it to grow, and this third one may just barely break even!
Is this a harbinger of what will happen to Star Wars?
August 1st, 2016 at 12:41:23 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
What happened to this franchise? I think they expected it to grow, and this third one may just barely break even!

I missed the original reboot, and finally caught it years later on basic cable. I've no regrets. I saw the second movie like that, too, and I expect that's how I'll see the third. Unless it comes on in Netflix before then.

Ep. VII was well liked by the fans, and the box office numbers indicate a lot more people than just the fans saw it. I expect the fans will be very enthusiastic for Ep VIII, given all the questions raised in Ep VII (Who's Rey? Who's Snoke? Who're the Knights of Ren? Why has Luke been hiding? And not least, When do the new movies stop copying the original movies?), and this even if the Rogue One movie sucks harder than an octopus.

I don't expect the numbers to match this time, but absent a disaster for the fans, it should do well enough.

What would be disastrous for the fans? A lame origin for either Rey or Snoke, for one thing. if we wind up with "these are two people we've never met before and they're unrelated to everyone else in the previous movies," fans will scream for blood.

Me, I kind of like the fan theory that Rey is Luke's "father," or rather the re-incarnation of the "chosen one" who will "bring balance to the Force." (of course, this also copies the old movies: again in the second movie, someone is revealed to be Luke's father!) The latest fan theory making the rounds is that Rey is Palpatine's grand-daughter (or daughter??). Likewise fan theories about Snoke abound. One has him as the Sith Lord Palpatine mentioned to Anakin in a movie (the one who could keep people from dying), which is a very fannish thing indeed (ie, unlikely to be appreciated by mundanes). another has him as General Hux's father, but, come on!

Anyway, anything like that would satisfy most fans and thrill a portion of them. Anything less, see two paragraphs up. The point is if the fans feel ripped off, the movie won't do as well.

On the other hand, many fans regard the prequels as expensive junk, but they did well financially. Me, I don't go that far. I regard them as not really existing (I know they do, I just like to pretend I live in a world untainted by such expensive junk, pointless movies, which have only one good thing going for them: Natalie Portman.)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 1st, 2016 at 1:13:31 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
...What happened to this franchise? I think they expected it to grow, and this third one may just barely break even!

I wonder if the press surrounding "Gay Sulu" killed it? It is a serviceable film with a loyal franchise following, and unexpected interest generated by the real life death of a regular character. I would have expected only a small fall off from the second installment.
August 2nd, 2016 at 5:09:57 AM permalink
Pacomartin
The 2009 reboot of Star Trek rated 95% on Rotten Tomatoes. It was one of the films cited as a motivation to increase the Best Picture nomination list from 5 movies to up to 10. It was felt that commercial movies that were very good were automatically excluded in favor of smaller artsy films. The bigger list was supposed to guarantee that these kind of films could at least get nominated.

Quote: Ayecarumba
I wonder if the press surrounding "Gay Sulu" killed it? It is a serviceable film with a loyal franchise following, and unexpected interest generated by the real life death of a regular character. I would have expected only a small fall off from the second installment.

I think the bottom line is still the same. This is an industry that has not grown appreciably in two decades.

In 1995 people bought 1.2626 billion movie tickets in Northern America @$4.35 apiece when Toy Story (the first computer generated animated film came out)
In 2014 people bought 1.2682 billion movie tickets in Northern America @$8.17 apiece when the LEGO movie was the biggest animated movie

BLS says $4.35 in 1995 has the same buying power as $6.76 in 2014. So the ticket price of $8.17 is above inflation and partially represents IMAX overcharges.

So in addition to the $250 million movies that they are hoping to push all over the globe like "Captain America: Civil Wars" and "Batman v Superman:Dawn of Justice" the industry is trying to develop all these other franchises.

The animated and computer graphic films are wildly profitable, because a big part of the movie audience is still families and children
Finding Dory
Zootopia
The Secret Life of Pets
Kung Fu Panda 3
The Jungle Book (2016)

But there just isn't enough interest in all of these franchises to justify the huge production budgets.

The Legend of Tarzan
X-Men: Apocalypse
Alice Through the Looking Glass
Independence Day: Resurgence
Warcraft
Gods of Egypt
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
The Huntsman: Winter's War
Star Wars: Beyond
Ghostbusters (2016)
The BFG (not a franchise)

There are exceptions, of course. The film "Jason Bourne" (5th in the franchise) with a Production Budget of $120 million has generated $110 million in worldwide box office in only 3 days. Tough guy films, stupid comedies, horror films, buddy films, ethnic and racial comedies all seem to be very profitable, because they have much smaller production budgets.

August 2nd, 2016 at 8:39:20 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29

No.

The upcoming Star Wars movies will not make as much as Ep VII did, but they will never have an issue breaking even.

Episode VIII will be the biggest movie of next year, easily.

Rogue One will be a hit this holiday season as well (although, since it is an "offshoot" story and not related to Ep VII or Ep VIII, I don't see it being nearly as successful as Ep VII was - which may lead some people to incorrectly label it as a "disappointment").
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
August 19th, 2016 at 5:36:33 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Domestic Box Office by end of 2nd weekend
$147,645,384 Star Trek (Budget: $150 million)
$146,117,582 Star Trek Into Darkness (Budget: $190 million)
$105,720,378 Star Trek Beyond (Budget: $185 million)

Well if the Star Trek movie looked bad at the end of 2nd weekend, it looks like an unmitigated financial disaster at the end of the fourth weekend.
Foreign boxoffice is almost minimal at $72m.

Domestic Box Office by end of 4th weekend
$242m Star Trek (Budget: $150 million) Worldwide: $385.68m {95% Rotten Tomatoes}
$204m Star Trek Into Darkness (Budget: $190 million) Worldwide: $467.38m {86% Rotten Tomatoes}
$143m Star Trek Beyond (Budget: $185 million)Worldwide: $214.90m {83% Rotten Tomatoes}

Although Star Trek is slightly outearning Ghostbusters {73% Rotten Tomatoes}, it's budget was a whopping $41m higher.

It is being destroyed by Suicide Squad with a similar budget
$143m Star Trek Beyond (Budget: $185 million)Worldwide: $214.90m 4th week {83% Rotten Tomatoes}
$242m Suicide Squad (Budget: $175 million)Worldwide: $484.97m 2nd week {26% Rotten Tomatoes}

I may have been wrong. This film may kill the franchise. It's sad because the reviews are not bad.
Page 2 of 3<123>