Poll
1 vote (50%)
1 vote (50%)
No votes (0%)

2 members have voted

June 7th, 2016 at 1:27:40 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Real Clear politics has Clinton at 2,383 delegates, one more than the required 2,382 required to win. So she will certainly have the required number of delegates after they call the winner in New Jersey (before the polls close in the Western States)

New Jersey June 7 126
New Mexico June 7 34
North Dakota June 7 18
South Dakota June 7 20
Montana June 7 21
California June 7 475

Will she give her victory speech before the polls close. California may very well take a few days to sort out the winner.

I think it is a reasonable assumption that Bernie will not make a concession speech until after California's winner is called. And if he wins California, maybe not even then.
June 7th, 2016 at 3:57:15 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Ain't had my morning coffee yet. I saw the headline of this thread and thought I'd missed the election.

Gonna go drive to the grocery store and get my free coffee real soon now.
June 7th, 2016 at 5:44:00 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
She'll give her speech after New Jersey is called. She is way ahead in NJ so it should be shortly after 8 pm EST.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 7th, 2016 at 9:56:59 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: ams288
She'll give her speech after New Jersey is called. She is way ahead in NJ so it should be shortly after 8 pm EST.

I kind of think you are correct. The Associated Press is already calling her the presumptive nominee based on survey of superdelegates.
June 7th, 2016 at 10:01:16 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
I think it is a reasonable assumption that Bernie will not make a concession speech until after California's winner is called.

He's said he'll try to get the super delegates to vote for him in a contested convention.

Good luck with that!
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 7th, 2016 at 11:13:10 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
He's said he'll try to get the super delegates to vote for him in a contested convention.

A candidate is allowed to say that as he technically could still win enough delegates to be ahead of Hillary (not counting superdelegates). But once the voting is over, regardless of outcome, he will be pressured to concede.
June 7th, 2016 at 11:24:16 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
A candidate is allowed to say that as he technically could still win enough delegates to be ahead of Hillary (not counting superdelegates).

anyone can claim anything at any time. backing it up, or claiming something likely, is a different matter.

Quote:
But once the voting is over, regardless of outcome, he will be pressured to concede.

No one actually has to concede. Not any more. In older times, when resorting to force on the face of an adverse election was a distinct possibility, things were different. So it became traditional for the losing candidate to "concede" the election to the winner.

Can you imagine Bernie telling his supporters to storm the convention and strip Hillary of the nomination? :)

I can imagine Trump doing so, either at the GOP convention or after losing the general election. I can't imagine the Trumpkins following through, though it would be interesting to watch.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER