Trivia You'll Try Hard to Forget

Page 3 of 4<1234>
June 25th, 2016 at 3:23:42 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Mr. Cesspit, Perhaps you failed to note the geographic span of the various crimes as well as the vast numbers of different types of crimes. NO criminal could possibly have interests in so many different types of crime over such a wide geographic area and wildly differing settings and circumstances. Also no one forensic lab was involved nor one set of forensic officers. You were on the right track however and I agree with the "close enough" nod.
June 25th, 2016 at 9:50:25 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Fleastiff
Mr. Cesspit, Perhaps you failed to note the geographic span of the various crimes as well as the vast numbers of different types of crimes. NO criminal could possibly have interests in so many different types of crime over such a wide geographic area and wildly differing settings and circumstances. Also no one forensic lab was involved nor one set of forensic officers. You were on the right track however and I agree with the "close enough" nod.

I didn't like my answer much, but felt like a starting point... the geography bugged me, but wondered without looking to hard, if someone had been changing jobs?

The real answer is an interesting one... might borrow that in the future.

It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
August 19th, 2016 at 12:11:48 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
If you google "ode to a chigger" you will get plenty, taking several pages

[note the title of the thread LOL]

they've been really bad this year around here

a 100+ yr old ode,

"Because of chiggers, those blamed little diggers,

No more dare I bask in the green woodland nook,

No more draw a measure of sweet wholesome pleasure

From seeking the groves with a bat and a book!

A man can give battle to serpents that rattle,

To all the wild creatures infesting the woods;

But chiggers defy him; as soon as they spy him

They camp on his frame and deliver the goods.

With swatters and beaters he fights off the skeeters,

With smudge fire he baffles their cousins and aunts;

The chigger bird senses his futile defenses

And calmly crawls under the leg of his pants.

A man on the leas'll meet polecat or weasel

And come out the victor, if given a show;

The coon and the possum -- he's able to boss 'em,

He'd whip seven owls if they stood in a row;

But ah, what a figure he cuts when the chigger

Gets into his system, a-drilling for oil;

He gets on his knees and his yells bust his weasand,

He claws up the grass and bites chunks from the soil.

The woods are deserted where erstwhile we flirted

With Susan Mirandy and t'other nice maid;

The tall poplars wonder why no one sits under --

The chiggers have driven the boys from their shade!"

["Chiggers," by Walt Mason. Copyright 1912 by George Matthew Adams.]
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 28th, 2016 at 12:19:33 PM permalink
odiousgambit
The surgeons knew things can go wrong in such things, but a hand transplant recipient showed them that one of the things is your patient may be ''a psychopath, somebody who will tell anybody anything that he thinks they want to hear''.

It takes 'reading between the lines', but the case of Clint Hallam seems to be one of just being the type of person who isn't going to do what he is told. The modern transplant phenomenon in medicine largely owes its success to the anti-rejection drugs that have been developed. And it turns out that a guy who has been in prison for fraud, who could con his way into such an operation, is a guy who is going to do things his way, including not taking the pills if he doesn't feel like it. And he didn't feel like it. His transplanted hand had to come back off.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/02/27/science/the-doctor-s-world-a-short-speckled-history-of-a-transplanted-hand.html?ref=topics&pagewanted=1

October 2nd, 2016 at 6:17:01 AM permalink
odiousgambit
try hard to forget this one

https://www.google.com/#q=partly+sunny+partly+cloudy
October 2nd, 2016 at 7:58:50 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
would fears of his noncompliance have permitted them to deny him the operation? Are there that many people waiting for hands?
October 3rd, 2016 at 2:47:51 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: Fleastiff
would fears of his noncompliance have permitted them to deny him the operation? Are there that many people waiting for hands?

I don't know, but an article in Atlantic magazine that mentions this transplant fiasco hints that there is a theory that he just didn't like his hand; it felt alien to him, couldn't shake that it was someone else's hand.

The article is about some doctors who want to transplant a head. Not making that up. They say it is more properly thought of as a body transplant.
October 3rd, 2016 at 5:31:46 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
What pitcher holds the Major League record for career losses
Yup, not wins, total career losses
The answer
Only the most famous pitcher ever in baseball :-)
Cy Young
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 2nd, 2017 at 1:14:59 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Sometimes when you eat scallops, they are fake scallops, cut from shark meat with a cookie-cutter-like device - so they say.

Must happen sometimes when you order a multi-seafood dish like Frutti di Mare, but ever since someone told me this can happen I've suspected I've only had fake scallops, since I only eat them when I order multi-seafood dishes. I notice they taste a little sweet, like they've been soaked in sugar. It strikes me that real scallops wouldn't taste sweet? only thing this, sometimes it's a fancier restaurant where the practice of substitution is a little harder to believe, and they still taste sweet. I'm not real crazy about that taste.

It's the adductor muscle we eat in the US - the muscle that opens and closes the shell.

example of a site where this is mentioned:

http://homecooking.about.com/od/seafood/a/scallopfakes.htm

btw scallops have eyes, pic from Matthew Krummins - https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattkrumins/12341256663/, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=34839107

January 2nd, 2017 at 4:50:36 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: terapined
What pitcher holds the Major League record for career losses
Yup, not wins, total career losses
The answer
Only the most famous pitcher ever in baseball :-)
Cy Young

Not surprising... if your good and have a long career, you might well set records for losses. I believe Brett Favre has the record for most interceptions thrown and games lost.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
Page 3 of 4<1234>