San Diego chargers to move

January 30th, 2016 at 7:02:00 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
San Diego Chargers have signed an agreement that gives them the option of moving and sharing a stadium with Rams after next year. The new stadium would be roughly 120 miles from the old stadium (near LAX).

San Diego's stadium Opened August 20, 1967 @ Construction cost $27.75 million

The four oldest stadiums in the NFL are:
4. Qualcomm Stadium, Opened: 1967, Capacity, 71,294 San Diego Chargers
3. O.co Coliseum, Opened: 1966, Capacity: 63,132 Oakland Radiers
2. Lambeau Field, Opened: 1957, Capacity 80,750 Green Bay Packers
1. Soldier Field, Opened: 1924, Capacity: 61,500 Chicago Bears

It is very unlikely that the SD chargers won't move unless San Diego builds them a new stadium. If they did, then it is most likely that the Oakland Raiders would move to Los Angeles. Then there would be three NFL teams in Southern California, so San Diego will probably consider going to Las Vegas or even further.

Adelson to meet with Raiders owner about moving Oakland to Las Vegas.
January 31st, 2016 at 4:37:29 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Pacomartin
It is very unlikely that the SD chargers won't move unless San Diego builds them a new stadium. If they did, then it is most likely that the Oakland Raiders would move to Los Angeles.
who is the 'they' ? do you mean if the Chargers move, Raiders move? Or do you mean if SD builds a new stadium, Raiders move? [why?]
Quote:
Then there would be three NFL teams in Southern California, so San Diego will probably consider going to Las Vegas or even further.
It doesn't seem like San Diego might build a new stadium for the Chargers and see them promptly leave. On the other hand, if they will leave unless they get a new stadium, then when they leave there are only the Rams left in So Cal at that moment.

I can't seem to get 3 teams in So Cal at any particular moment.

You wouldn't think all this would baffle me, but it does. Of course, this business of the Rams moving back and forth confuses the hell out of me, maybe I am the only one [edit]

PS: nothing to do with anything, but google translate doesn't seem to want to translate San Diego. I know that San means Saint, but seems to me Diego would translate into some other English word.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 31st, 2016 at 6:55:37 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin

The four oldest stadiums in the NFL are:
4. Qualcomm Stadium, Opened: 1967, Capacity, 71,294 San Diego Chargers
3. O.co Coliseum, Opened: 1966, Capacity: 63,132 Oakland Radiers
2. Lambeau Field, Opened: 1957, Capacity 80,750 Green Bay Packers
1. Soldier Field, Opened: 1924, Capacity: 61,500 Chicago Bears

Soldier Field is that old but was extremely remodeled in the 1990s.

Quote:
It is very unlikely that the SD chargers won't move unless San Diego builds them a new stadium. If they did, then it is most likely that the Oakland Raiders would move to Los Angeles. Then there would be three NFL teams in Southern California, so San Diego will probably consider going to Las Vegas or even further.

This would just return us to 1995. Amazing that three teams want to return to a city they left in the first place. Are the dollars that good from luxury boxes and they hardly care if anyone shows up for the regular seats? LA is a kind of city where there is so much else that if you are not winning you may not be selling out?

I saw the Raiders looking to move to Vegas as well. That would be anathema to the NFL for sure. Would probably make the team another Washington Generals as the Cardinals were at Sun Devil Stadium. Namely a team with few local diehards that sells tickets so transplants and tourists can watch their team have a probable win.

The NFL just came off their longest period of franchise stability in history. Time that a local mayor responds to ever escalating stadium demands by telling them to call 877-720-4066.
The President is a fink.
January 31st, 2016 at 9:51:35 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Interesting article, Paco.

Yet I cannot avoid but summarize it as: "Chargers to disappoint fans at a different city." ;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 31st, 2016 at 12:39:06 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: odiousgambit
who is the 'they' ? do you mean if the Chargers move, Raiders move? Or do you mean if SD builds a new stadium, Raiders move? [why?] It doesn't seem like San Diego might build a new stadium for the Chargers and see them promptly leave. On the other hand, if they will leave unless they get a new stadium, then when they leave there are only the Rams left in So Cal at that moment.

The Rams are leaving St Louis and returning to Los Angeles next year and playing in the 1920's stadium Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum . During that year they will be constructing a new stadium about 5 miles away which should be ready by the 2017-18 season.

The San Diego Chargers have not paid rent since 2005, and they were paid nearly $3.3 million by the City of San Diego to play at Qualcomm Stadium from 2006 through 2013, from reimbursements from a settlement that made the stadium compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act. So the City is unlikely to sweeten the deal even better than free. Nor are they likely to spring for a billion dollar + new stadium

Both the Chargers and Raiders have been offered both of them the opportunity to move and share the new stadium with the Rams. San Diego was given first right of refusal. There is always the possibility that Chargers will elect to stay where they are located now, but it is a possibility. They may feel like the B option franchise.

But once the Chargers refuse, than the Raiders get to say if they want to accept. Then you would have Raiders, Rams, and Chargers in southern California.

Sheldon Adelson is meeting with the Raiders as well, to try and persuade them to move to Las Vegas.

(Yaʿqob, Yaʿaqov, Yaʿăqōḇ), literally "one that takes by the heel" is a Hebrew name for the son of Isaac and Rebecca and father of the founders of the twelve tribes. It became Iakobos in Greek, Iacobus in Late Latin , Jacob in English, Jago, Iago, also Diego in Spanish, Giacomo in Italian.

The city of San Diego is not named directly for the apostle, but the Spanish Franciscan Father Diego de San Nicolás del Puerto from the 16th century , more popularly known as San Diego de Alcalá (died 12 November 1463, birth unknown) .

Rodríguez Cabrillo claimed the bay for the Spanish Empire in 1542, and named the site 'San Miguel'.
Sebastián Vizcaíno RENAMED THE BAY IN November 1602, for Saint Diego.
January 31st, 2016 at 1:01:54 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
thanks Mr. Martin

I get it now about Diego. Now if I can only untangle the Chargers/Raiders/Rams
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]