Stockholm, Sweden to get 5G phones in 2018

Page 1 of 212>
January 25th, 2016 at 2:57:29 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Stockholm, Sweden and Tallinn Estonia to get 5G phones in 2018. Could you use gigabyte data speeds on your phone?
January 25th, 2016 at 6:33:48 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
Stockholm, Sweden and Tallinn Estonia to get 5G phones in 2018. Could you use gigabyte data speeds on your phone?

I'd settle for a reliable, always there, connection which would allow me to look up a route on Waze before I walk the 60 meters to the parking lot.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 25th, 2016 at 7:48:39 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
AT&T is discontinuing 2G support at the end of this year. My son and I will both need new phones.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 25th, 2016 at 8:44:24 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Dalex64
My son and I will both need new phones.

How old are your phones? My parents still have phones that were approved by the FCC on Dec 19, 2003 and they are labelled CDMA (2G / 3G) so I assume that means they can operate as 3G phones.
January 25th, 2016 at 1:19:18 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I haven't seen anyone advertise true 4G service in the U.S. yet. It is always "4G LTE" I am not sure what the difference is, but I suspect that it is the equivalent of naming a car model "Charger", but not putting a supercharger in it.
January 25th, 2016 at 2:32:37 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Ayecarumba
I haven't seen anyone advertise true 4G service in the U.S. yet. It is always "4G LTE" I am not sure what the difference is, but I suspect that it is the equivalent of naming a car model "Charger", but not putting a supercharger in it.

Or naming a car "Dart" when it's a goddamn Neon.

Sorry.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 25th, 2016 at 2:50:28 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Ayecarumba

That's pretty good description. The following explanation is pretty succinct.

Quote: Digital Trends

The International Telecommunication Union (ITU-R) set standards for 4G connectivity in March of 2008, requiring all services described as 4G to adhere to a set of speed and connection standards. For mobile use, including smartphones and tablets, connection speeds need to have a peak of at least 100 megabits per second, and for more stationary uses such as mobile hotspots, at least 1 gigabit per second.

LTE stands for “Long Term Evolution” and applies more generally to the idea of improving wireless broadband speeds to meet increasing demand. When the ITU-R set the minimum speeds for 4G, they were a bit unreachable, despite the amount of money tech manufacturers put into achieving them. In response, the regulating body decided that LTE, the name given to the technology used in pursuit of those standards, could be labeled as 4G if it provided a substantial improvement over the 3G technology. Immediately networks began advertising their connections as 4G LTE, a marketing technique that allowed them to claim next-gen connectivity without having to reach the actual required number first;

it would be like the U.S. claiming they had landed on the moon because they got pretty close and the spaceship that got them there was a lot better than the previous ship. It’s not entirely trickery though, despite inconsistent speeds depending on location and network, the difference between 3G and 4G is immediately noticeable.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/4g-vs-lte/

The official name of 3G is called IMT-2000
144 kbps for high mobility,
384 kbps with restricted mobility and,
2 Mbps in an indoor office environment;

For the terrestrial mobile network, there are six family members identified as being IMT-2000 compatible:
IMT Direct Spread (IMT-DS; also known as UMTS/UTRA-FDD);
IMT Time Code (IMT-TC; also known as UMTS/UTRA-TDD, TD-CDMA and TD-SCDMA “narrowband TDD”);
IMT Multicarrier (IMT-MC; also known as CDMA2000);
IMT Single Carrier (IMT-SC; also known as UWC-136 or EDGE);
IMT OFDMA TDD WMAN (also known as mobile WiMAX)
IMT Frequency Time (IMT-FT; also known as DECT).
January 25th, 2016 at 3:15:22 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: Pacomartin
How old are your phones? My parents still have phones that were approved by the FCC on Dec 19, 2003 and they are labelled CDMA (2G / 3G) so I assume that means they can operate as 3G phones.

My phone is a Sony Ericsson z300a, approved 2 december 2005. My son's phone is a little newer than that, I don't know the model off the top of my head. I don't use it much, and it still has the original battery.

The SIM card says cingular 3G, hopefully it will work with my next phone, because at&t has stopped offering their 10 cent a minute plan and is back to 25 cents a minute. I still have the 10 cent plan.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 25th, 2016 at 9:46:27 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I don't know what kind of phone I have.

I can rarely find it. If it rings it picks up too soon.

It mainly calls me to sell me more minutes.
January 26th, 2016 at 6:59:14 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I have what is by now described by archaeologists as a pre-pre-pre-paleoelectronic iphone 4. It is believed to have been widely in use in Middle Kingdom Egypt for a short time, before the goddess Siri was conceived from Ra and Nut in one of those complicated Egyptian incestuous deals. And long, long before the goddess Cortana tried to slay Siri in the land of Lollipops and Marshmallows.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 1 of 212>