Coffee. What are your preferences?

Page 4 of 6<123456>
January 22nd, 2018 at 1:32:26 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Why would anyone care what I drink..... but here goes..... At work we have a Keureg machine...... One "perk" I get is free pods..... So I fill a 12 ounce styrofoam cup with ice, and use the 4 ounce setting of "Green Mountain Dark Magic", and get my daily iced coffee. I put a dribble of cream in it to discolor it, no sweetener.
January 22nd, 2018 at 1:34:38 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
That battery acid from the vending machine will definitely give you a jolt
January 22nd, 2018 at 1:34:38 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
coffee has many healthy ingredients and is a marvelous beverage. People tend not to think of antioxidants but its chock full of them,
January 22nd, 2018 at 2:13:03 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
At work I have a drip coffeemaker. We feed it reasonably priced, reasonably good coffee. From time to time we get better coffee from places like Chiapas. Some coworkers use a Nespresso machine. I can't say the coffee it produces isn't good, but the price is outrageous.

At home in the morning I drink one or two cups of instant, which is not the worst coffee in the world (though not for lack of trying). I have a drip coffeemaker, and a percolator, and a French press. But in the morning I'm not in the mood to wash the coffeemaker, particularly in cold mornings, when the faucet does its level best to deliver nothing but super-cooled water. I tried a single-cup plastic cone for drip coffee for a while. It works well, I can get away with just rinsing it after use, but it uses up one paper filter per cup, which I find wasteful. I could use a Nespresso, but see the thing about cost. and ditto for Nescafe's "economical" version, the Dolce Gusto. On weekends I just drive to a local Starbucks and have a latte(*).

I found another gimmicky single-cup device. It's a small plastic container with a silk filter. You fill it with ground coffee and let it steep in a cup of hot water for a few minutes. So far it works well enough. It can be rinsed, and it doesn't use up a paper filter per cup.

(*) Yes, that's even more expensive than Nespresso. But it has frothed milk, it's made from freshly ground coffee, you get a table, WiFi, sweetener, ground cinnamon, napkins, and with a rewards card a free extra shot if you want it (and I do), and occasional free drinks.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 23rd, 2018 at 2:41:29 PM permalink
Nareed
We scored some more Chiapas coffee for the office. Yum!

Better yet, the coworker who got it tells me one of his relatives will be spending a lot of time in a town there, and he's willing to send us coffee regularly.
January 23rd, 2018 at 2:58:08 PM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Anecdote where you can have a laugh at my expense....

One lunchtime, my business partner gave me a coffee to try: He's quite a connoisseur. It was delicious, and he said it should be as it's the most expensive coffee in the world and he's only bought a few ounces of it to make two cups.

So, shortly after, I was relating to one of the team about this great, expensive coffee.

The guy asked me what it was called. 'Was it called Kopi Luwak?'
'Yes, I believe it was' said I.
'You'd better google' he said.

I don't mind that my bus partner had given me that, but I could have done without the hearty laughter from the team as we all googled it.

http://www.most-expensive.coffee/
January 23rd, 2018 at 3:12:57 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: OnceDear
The guy asked me what it was called. 'Was it called Kopi Luwak?'

They had it at a nearby upscale supermarket a couple of years ago. It was too expensive to try.

People ought to grow up, seriously. All food has some very unappetizing aspects to it.

Did you know honey is made with bee vomit?
January 23rd, 2018 at 3:32:45 PM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: Nareed
They had it at a nearby upscale supermarket a couple of years ago. It was too expensive to try.

People ought to grow up, seriously. All food has some very unappetizing aspects to it.

Did you know honey is made with bee vomit?

Some say. And some others dispute that, because the nectar never starts to get digested in the way that we would recognise the term, and does not reach the critters stomach.
http://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=15512

Not that I'm really disagreeing about 'all foods having unappetizing aspects'
We would never dine out if we saw how food was prepared, stored and cooked from start to finish.

I served myself a nice sea bream with its head on for dinner last night. That didn't bother me. But I did only eat one whitebait in my life :o)

The same guy who started the laughing at my expense wretches and has to look away when I brush the dirt of a raw mushroom and eat it. Others on the team see nothing wrong with that, though mother in law peels mushrooms: Sacrilege.

I don't know if it's true that we eat a bucket full of dirt over our lifetime. Nor do I care.

ps. civet coffee is delicious and I would drink it again.
January 23rd, 2018 at 5:06:44 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: OnceDear
Some say. And some others dispute that, because the nectar never starts to get digested in the way that we would recognise the term, and does not reach the critters stomach.

1) Maybe so, but saying "bee regurgitate" merely leaves others puzzled. "Vomit" is universally understood (and pretty close).

2) Bees take pollen from flowers, not nectar :)

Quote:
Not that I'm really disagreeing about 'all foods having unappetizing aspects'

I think some people would stop eating entirely if they knew about certain aspects of food. For example, cows eat their own vomit constantly (what's with the preponderance of emesis in this thread?, also, see above.) Or simply stated: plants have evolved to feed on decay and animal wastes.

Quote:
The same guy who started the laughing at my expense wretches and has to look away when I brush the dirt of a raw mushroom and eat it.

Are you sure it's dirt?

I do eat raw mushrooms, in salads, but I wash them first.
January 23rd, 2018 at 8:03:09 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
My favorite chain coffee, by far -- Tim Horton's. They make great doughnuts too. Tim Horton's is Canada's greatest export. I hope they eventually expand to Mexico so I can learn, once and for all, how to day doughnut in Spanish.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
Page 4 of 6<123456>