Sample Size question

Page 2 of 2<12
December 21st, 2015 at 4:43:42 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
I don't think there will be any possible exceptions. The system that takes the app would not allow say "M" instead of "L." IOW, the universe of possible answers is fixed as there is no free-form.

Done over 300 of these and zero errors. This is what you end up doing when you stay in school.

Makes it a tractable QA problem, and therefore testable by something a bit more subtle than the brute force approach your being put through.

It's a bit like dealing a single card from the top of deck, and seeing if it's not a joker, and shuffling each time. How many times would you have to do it to be confident there's no joker in the deck?

Then imagine there's 20 decks, and you get a random one each time. How many times before your confident there's no joker in any of the decks? Far better to try and spread out all the cards and take a look inside them :)
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
December 21st, 2015 at 5:14:19 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: TheCesspit
Makes it a tractable QA problem, and therefore testable by something a bit more subtle than the brute force approach your being put through.

It's a bit like dealing a single card from the top of deck, and seeing if it's not a joker, and shuffling each time. How many times would you have to do it to be confident there's no joker in the deck?

Then imagine there's 20 decks, and you get a random one each time. How many times before your confident there's no joker in any of the decks? Far better to try and spread out all the cards and take a look inside them :)

Hey, don't look at me, I'm the one who not only summed up 90 minutes in three sentences and said sentences were more understandable, I'm the one who actually thought to ask what the needed sample size to assure confidence was.

So glad I never got my MBA.....
The President is a fink.
December 21st, 2015 at 11:13:43 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
Hey, don't look at me, I'm the one who not only summed up 90 minutes in three sentences and said sentences were more understandable, I'm the one who actually thought to ask what the needed sample size to assure confidence was.

So glad I never got my MBA.....

I'm just confirming your suspicions that you've been asked to do a task in a really inefficient way :)

Your summary is a good one, cos it made quick sense to me. You should look into product ownership as a career. Or may be not, you might end up committing acts of violence on the bodies of some of the clients and some of the developers :)
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
December 22nd, 2015 at 2:58:04 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: TheCesspit
I'm just confirming your suspicions that you've been asked to do a task in a really inefficient way :)

Great, because I would hate for it to be my imagination! lol

Quote:
Your summary is a good one, cos it made quick sense to me. You should look into product ownership as a career. Or may be not, you might end up committing acts of violence on the bodies of some of the clients and some of the developers :)

I still take it back to that business class where I told my team we needed a simple answer and the girl on the other team made their team say the answer about the guy needing to analyze his target market. Of course, the person with the simple answer usually gets a lower GPA because they don't really fit the academic world of learn-regurgitate while the person with the book answer does. In the real world I cannot just repeat what they want to hear, if I did I might have went further?
The President is a fink.
Page 2 of 2<12