Other Than Mars Thread

Page 8 of 11« First<567891011>
May 4th, 2018 at 1:12:15 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Pacomartin
So if we can't figure out how to feed the starving billions, we could figure out how to humanely sterilize them so we could get a population we could feed.

too much forced sterilization went on in the 20th century for that one to ever be revisited

not to mention the notorious one child policy of China; though clearly not as extreme as a sterilization policy, human rights groups rightly I think win the argument against it [now may finally be dropped]

Coercion of course becomes the problem
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 9th, 2018 at 12:34:02 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
The Parker Solar Probe is launching in 2 days. NASA video on why it's so hard to get to the Sun.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 31st, 2018 at 9:46:15 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
As NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft zips past a small, distant icy world early on New Year’s Day, at 12:33 a.m. Eastern time, there will still be a nagging question for people working on the mission: Did the spacecraft’s cameras get the shot?
New Horizons collected a wealth of fascinating pictures and data on Pluto when it flew by in 2015. Now it is set to speed past another object in the solar system’s mysterious Kuiper belt region, nicknamed Ultima Thule, which should yield clues about the early days of the solar system.

Getting the flyby right at a speed of 31,500 miles per hour is a challenging task that has taken years of planning. Despite the best efforts, Ultima Thule remains almost a complete mystery to the New Horizons’ managers and everyone else less than a day before the flyby.

“We don’t know a thing about MU69,” said S. Alan Stern, the principal investigator for the mission, referring to 2014 MU69, Ultima Thule’s official designation here at the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory, which is operating the mission. “We’ve never in the history of spaceflight gone to a target we knew less about. It’s remarkable that we are on the verge of learning a great deal about it.”

Getting the shot will require taking many pictures of empty space. That’s necessary to ensure that at least some of the photographs do include the target the scientists are aiming to study.

Imagine driving along the New Jersey Turnpike, hoping to take a picture of the Manhattan skyline. But you don’t get to look through the camera viewfinder. In fact, you have to decide days in advance when you’re going to press the shutter button. Worse, you’re not exactly sure where Manhattan is.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/new-horizons-approaches-the-most-distant-object-ever-visited-‘we-only-get-one-shot’/ar-BBRFdrp?ocid=spartanntp
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 3rd, 2019 at 1:08:58 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote:

Next Wednesday, at several press briefings around the world, scientists will apparently unveil humanity's first-ever photo of a black hole, the European Space Agency said in a statement. Specifically, the photo will be of "Sagittarius A," the supermassive black hole that's at the center of our Milky Way galaxy.
April 3rd, 2019 at 10:15:24 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: same article
the black hole at the center of our galaxy is "shrouded in a thick cloud of dust and gas"
so it's not clear what this 'picture' will be exactly.

Even just looking up at the Milky Way, you see big dark areas that are, to us, obscured by dust/gas

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/04/02/black-holes-first-ever-photo-should-unveiled-next-week/3343250002/

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=dark+spots+in+the+milky+way
August 7th, 2019 at 8:20:59 AM permalink
odiousgambit
You don't hear this sort of thing too much about the Apollo missions to the moon

Quote: first link
100 bags of feces and urine [were] left behind by American astronauts during the Apollo lunar landings from 1969-1972

the article is actually about an Israeli [really?] moonshot that intentionally left a form of life that is expected to survive [but doomed to remain dormant] . Naturally the stuck-as-teenager part of my brain latched on to the poop thing.

https://phys.org/news/2019-08-hordes-earth-toughest-creatures-moon.html

https://phys.org/news/2016-01-tardigrade-brought-life-frozen-years.html
August 7th, 2019 at 11:25:06 AM permalink
rxwine
Future fertilizer!
August 7th, 2019 at 11:34:59 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: odiousgambit
Naturally the stuck-as-teenager part of my brain latched on to the poop thing.

One of the most disgusting about MT Everest base camps. Frozen poop everywhere
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 7th, 2019 at 1:20:55 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Just now up to date on the fact that Israel and India both had 'fails' on their recent moon missions.

We can't gloat as we've had spectacular fails too, so that's not my point, but I have to think a fail rankles more for countries like that who are attempting to get some dap about their advancing technological prowess.

article on Indian fail:
https://apnews.com/0a042dbaf2e246389c131398126ab5bc
December 17th, 2021 at 8:27:20 AM permalink
rxwine
James Webb telescope will launch into space in just 5 days.

I think it's one of the most significant science events of a decade. If the rocket blows up or telescope fails to operate, it will be one of the biggest science disappointments of the decade..
Page 8 of 11« First<567891011>