refusing to accept cash

January 30th, 2018 at 10:44:18 PM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: Pacomartin

Walmart has found a way to make you check out your items in the store.
Hmmmm. She weighed the apples but did not print off a bar code, nor scan anything in.

Tesco (UK) have hand scanners that you carry round and scan as you go, and at the end you scan the scanner back into a machine that you pay at, with your Tesco Clubcard. However, the first few times I used it, it must have been in a trust building mode, because it called an associate over, who rescanned either everything, or later a few apparently random items.
I suppose they have evaluated the cost of 'shrinkage' (Fraud/shoplifting) compared to the saved wages and decided that it costs in for now
But they are still scared of the Aubergine Terrorists
I do hope shoplifters don't ruin this for us by driving up prices
https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/General-Discussion/tesco-scan-n-shoplift/td-p/9659190/page/4
January 30th, 2018 at 11:15:27 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: OnceDear
However, the first few times I used it, it must have been in a trust building mode, because it called an associate over, who rescanned either everything, or later a few apparently random items.

I have to think that the only way those systems are going to work is with trust building mode. Build in a counter in the app so you start with 5 items and gradually work your way up. You obviously need RFID tags on any item that meets a minimum price (probably $20), but you should randomly seed a few lower priced items to catch shoplifters. If the "forgotten" item is in a purse then you red flag that person.
January 30th, 2018 at 11:30:54 PM permalink
OnceDear
I have to think that the only way those systems are going to work is with trust building mode. Build in a counter in the app so you start with 5 items and gradually work your way up. You obviously need RFID tags on any item that meets a minimum price (probably $20), but you should randomly seed a few lower priced items to catch shoplifters. If the "forgotten" item is in a purse then you red flag that person.
The personal data that Tesco collects is probably more massive than all the other organisations put together. With Clubcard, Tesco phone, Tesco credit, and a full profile of pretty much everything that you buy, they can soon get a 'trustworthiness index'
Anecdotally, there have been situations where Tesco Clubcard owners have found out their wives or daughters were pregnant after receiving promo vouchers for nappies (dypers to you guys) after wife or daughter bought pregnancy testing kits.
Tesco also use 'Civil Recovery' which is legally and morally very VERY shady, where they 'backroom' any apparent shoplifters and impose a £150 'fee' for not calling the police before 86ing the alleged perpetrator.
https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?410399-Sainsburys-DWF-Solicitors-civil-recovery-letter
All done outside the UK's legal system.
January 31st, 2018 at 12:52:29 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Anecdotally, there have been situations where Tesco Clubcard owners have found out their wives or daughters were pregnant after receiving promo vouchers for nappies (dypers to you guys) after wife or daughter bought pregnancy testing kits.

Anecdotally, I have heard they identified pregnant women by simple purchases that are not so clearly indicators like pregnancy testing kits. They were simple "nesting purchases".
January 31st, 2018 at 1:12:21 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

I was reading that the crooks have already
figured out 14 ways from Sunday to beat
the Walmart self scan app.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 31st, 2018 at 5:18:21 AM permalink
Pacomartin
The famous IBM commercial from last decade showing RFID technology

Quote: Evenbob
I was reading that the crooks have already figured out 14 ways from Sunday to beat the Walmart self scan app.

It must have been quite a shock to storekeepers of the 1930's-1950's as shopping began to transition from clerks to self serve.

Self checkout inevitably will have the same problems. But crooks will always beat technology.

The secret has to be to start small and build a loyal client base.
January 31st, 2018 at 10:56:02 AM permalink
Evenbob
It must have been quite a shock to storekeepers of the 1930's-1950's as shopping began to transition from clerks to self serve.

In the old, old days, 1900, you gave
the clerk a list and he got everything
for you. In a dept store no merch was
where you could handle it. They were
paranoid in the extreme of crooks.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 31st, 2018 at 12:53:16 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
They were paranoid in the extreme of crooks.

Now it is just a cost of business.
January 31st, 2018 at 1:25:48 PM permalink
OnceDear

When I ran an ebay selling business as a sideline, my (unstated) refund policy was 'Two sincere apologies: A total refund, including carriage: The buyer kept the item with my compliments ( If he had received it ) AND a replacement sent by first class recorded delivery. Unless it was an export to Europe, where I also banned the buyer from buying from me again.
It might seem absurdly open to abuse, but I costed it all in to the business, and it was a success. I was able to mark up perfectly ordinary items by 100 to 300%
January 31st, 2018 at 1:31:30 PM permalink
Evenbob

They figured out people would buy
more if they could handle the merch,
and the store could write off theft by
increasing prices. Win/win for everybody.

Even on Dalton Abby, count the number
of times petty theft is mentioned over the
six seasons. It's because it was a sin, and
pointed to a persons character, more than
the dollar amount stolen. Even though
pawn shops in those days did a robust
business as barely concealed fences for
stolen property.