New Streaming Services

Page 1 of 212>
November 17th, 2015 at 1:10:38 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
CBS launched a streaming service called "All Access" for $6 that as was noted will now include an original Star Trek series next year. NBC is now launching a $4 comedy streaming service called SeeSo, and ABC will start their service shortly called WatchABC (no price advertised).

No sign that any network is closing down, but bets would probably be on The CW, which is now 10 years old. It features only 10 hours of TV shows per week (one of which is the reality show America's Next Top Model). One is a new show with terrible ratings. Of the 9 returning shows they are all dropping in ratings from last year (like most TV shows), and four of the nine are now at averaging a million or fewer viewers.

The relative dominance of DC superhero shows has led CBS to bring Supergirl to their network.

Given the very low viewership, the concentration on viewers under the age of 35, the lack of sports and comedy, it is difficult to believe that this TV network wouldn't be more profitable as a streaming service at $3 a month.

CW TV shows Viewers Yr-to-yr genre or
2015-16 (millions) change franchise
1 The Flash 3.578 -6.82% DC comics
2 Arrow 2.519 -8.73% DC comics
3 Supernatural 1.795 -11.15% Horror
4 iZombie 1.391 -20.74% DC comics alternative
5 The Vampire Diaries 1.312 -14.84% Horror
6 Jane The Virgin 1.082 -9.83% Drama w/ Comic overtone
7 The Originals 0.996 -23.98% Horror
8 Reign 0.963 -10.83% Historical Drama
9 Crazy Ex-Girlfriend 0.904 new Musical w/ Comic overtone

The CW is an American broadcast television network that is operated by The CW Network, LLC, a limited liability joint venture between CBS Corporation, the former owners of the United Paramount Network (UPN), and the Warner Bros. Entertainment subsidiary of Time Warner, former majority owner of The WB Television Network.

Comparing CW's top ranked show, the Flash (3.6 million viewers) with other networks: CBS and ABC do not have scripted shows with so few viewers. NBC's friday evening comedies have even lower viewers. But FOX has a median of 3.25 million viewers for it's 14 scripted shows this year. FOX is increasingly about the biggest show on TV (American Idol and now Empire), but most of the rest of their ratings are crap.
November 17th, 2015 at 1:35:39 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Was Buffy originally on FOX?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 17th, 2015 at 2:30:15 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
Was Buffy originally on FOX?

No, that show was the WB network for five seasons then moved to UPN for two seasons. WB and UPN were merged after 11 seasons to create "The CW"
The WB network basically had 5 big hits that were supernatural or superhero based.

1. Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997–2001, also on UPN)
  2. Angel (1999–2004)
  3. Charmed (1998–2006)
  4. Smallville (2001–2006, also on The CW)
  5. Supernatural (2005–2006, also on The CW)

Smallville premiered to 8.4 million viewers, the highest ever for a WB debut. So a "big hit" on the WB was more or less an average show on CBS (at the time). Now even CBS is pretty happy with 8.4 million viewers. Supergirl debuted to 13 million viewers, but has since dropped to below 8 million by the 4th episode.
November 17th, 2015 at 3:23:03 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Here is a personal update on me cutting the cord
I had Brighthouse cable high def tv and medium speed internet 117.00 a month
Due to work at home now, they installed a 2nd account, high speed internet and phone.
Well I got rid of my account so just have the business account
I had a gazillion channels all high def, lost those
Plugged the coaxial cable into a regular tv.
Got about 60 channels in low def
Have all the biggies, History, ESPN, FX ect
Don't have the obscure ones which some I liked such as Smithsonian, History 2, Al Jazeera, Big10, NFL, NBA ESPNU and a bunch of others.
I thought about buying Verizon TV service. have fios in the neighborhood.
But saving 117.00 a month is sweet
I plugged in my coaxial to my high def TV.
OMG, I have High def but only a few channels. PBS ABC CBS NBC FOX, brighthouse local news, everything else( about 55 major cable channels) low def.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 17th, 2015 at 4:54:41 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: terapined
Here is a personal update on me cutting the cord
I had Brighthouse cable high def tv and medium speed internet 117.00 a month
Due to work at home now, they installed a 2nd account, high speed internet and phone.

Does work mind if you buy streaming services like Netflix or Amazon? How about cellular, do you pay for your own cell phone?

If you are using your work phone most of the time, and you just want a low cost cellular phone consider:
Ring Plus, cell service on Sprint Network

The Michelangelo (begins Friday November 13, 2015) is an excellent plan which requires a credit card with $10 plus taxes and fees initial charge. For that you get 1000 voice minutes, and 1000 texts and 500 MB data (enough to review e-mails) for free. Above that amount you are charged 2¢ per minute or text that you go over. It takes a while to go over so when your $10 is burned out, your credit card is charged another $10.

Ring+ phones are a little expensive. You can go to Walmart and buy a Boost Mobile phone. The packaging and website tell you that you must use it on Boost for at least 6 months before you can transfer to Ring+, but I've tried it right away (as have several other people) and it has always worked. You can get an inexpensive smart phone for $40. I wouldn't risk a lot of money on this trick, and if you want an Apple phone then buy it straight from Ring+.
November 17th, 2015 at 5:09:19 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: Pacomartin
Does work mind if you buy streaming services like Netflix or Amazon? How about cellular, do you pay for your own cell phone?

If you are using your work phone most of the time, and you just want a low cost cellular phone consider:
Ring Plus, cell service on Sprint Network

The Michelangelo (begins Friday November 13, 2015) is an excellent plan which requires a credit card with $10 plus taxes and fees initial charge. For that you get 1000 voice minutes, and 1000 texts and 500 MB data (enough to review e-mails) for free. Above that amount you are charged 2¢ per minute or text that you go over. It takes a while to go over so when your $10 is burned out, your credit card is charged another $10.

Ring+ phones are a little expensive. You can go to Walmart and buy a Boost Mobile phone. The packaging and website tell you that you must use it on Boost for at least 6 months before you can transfer to Ring+, but I've tried it right away (as have several other people) and it has always worked. You can get an inexpensive smart phone for $40. I wouldn't risk a lot of money on this trick, and if you want an Apple phone then buy it straight from Ring+.

Don't have smart personal phone. Have an old flip phone. Virgin Mobile 20 bucks a month plus texting charges.
When I worked in the office, people would watch youtube videos between calls.
I tried not to do that unless the phones were real dead when I worked in the office. Other employees don't care if management doesn't say something.
When off work, I don't think the company cares what I do with the business high speed internet in my house.
I have friends that make fun of my cheapness. I'm known for being cheap.
Most people pay about 200.00 a month total for Premium cable service and Smart phone with data plans.
not me :-)
On the flip side, plenty of money to vacation in Vegas where I am not so cheap.
Got a trip scheduled 1st week Dec, birthday
Got a trip scheduled Christmas, my present to myself
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 17th, 2015 at 7:47:10 PM permalink
Pacomartin

Don't have smart personal phone. Have an old flip phone. Virgin Mobile 20 bucks a month plus texting charges.

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-phone-plans/paylo-plans/overview/
This website says Virgin Mobile $20 / month for 400 minutes plus 15 cents a minute.

Virgin is on Sprint network, like Ring+.

Ring plus gives you 1000 voice minutes, and 1000 texts for free, and you should be able to use your current phone (it is a Sprint network phone).

In case you want to be the cheapest guy in the office.
November 18th, 2015 at 4:34:47 AM permalink
terapined
http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-phone-plans/paylo-plans/overview/
This website says Virgin Mobile $20 / month for 400 minutes plus 15 cents a minute.

Virgin is on Sprint network, like Ring+.

Ring plus gives you 1000 voice minutes, and 1000 texts for free, and you should be able to use your current phone (it is a Sprint network phone).

In case you want to be the cheapest guy in the office.

I'm going to look into this
Thanks
November 18th, 2015 at 10:47:04 AM permalink
Pacomartin
I'm going to look into this Thanks

Two things of interest

(1) You didn't say how many minutes you were getting for $20/month on Virgin PayLo. If you just order their service from the website, you get 400 minutes. If you buy the phone from Walmart you get UNLIMITED minutes and 50 text message, or for younger people UNLIMITED text messages and 50 minutes. If you want that you do have to buy another phone, but they start at $20.

(2) Ring+ does have drawbacks for what is essentially a mostly free service.
(a) Sometimes the system goes down for a few hours because of maintenance problems. Normal phone companies don't go down unless there is a hurricane.
(b) You have to listen to music or a commercial when you call someone. As you normally listen to the phone ringing, this feature is not really annoying. The idea is to sell songs, but it is likely to have no effect on an old guy.
(c) There can be an annoying lag time in some parts of the country. You end up "talking over" the other person because of the lag

The "lag time" can be extremely annoying. You may want to try it with an old Virgin Mobile phone if you have one before you think of cancelling your current service. If you despise the lag time by too much, then Ring+ makes a good backup phone (for example you can put it in the trunk with a power cord to cigarette lighter).

My aunt who is in her 70's fell down the stairs and her normal cell phone fell out of her pocket and shattered. Ring+ phones kept plugged in around the house are one way to get a good emergency backups.
November 19th, 2015 at 4:15:25 AM permalink
terapined
Plugged the coaxial cable into a regular tv.
Got about 60 channels in low def
Have all the biggies, History, ESPN, FX ect
Don't have the obscure ones which some I liked such as Smithsonian, History 2, Al Jazeera, Big10, NFL, NBA ESPNU and a bunch of others.
I thought about buying Verizon TV service. have fios in the neighborhood.
But saving 117.00 a month is sweet
I plugged in my coaxial to my high def TV.
OMG, I have High def but only a few channels. PBS ABC CBS NBC FOX, brighthouse local news, everything else( about 55 major cable channels) low def.

Brighthouse stopped by and outside cut off all my service
I didn't know till everything stopped working
Should of ran outside, Instead I reboot my computer. Of course it does not work
I call up
They send a different guy out
I say I have a business account and everything is down
His 1st question is did I cancel a personal account
I say yes
He says when a personal account is closed, they send somebody out to eventually cut the cable without checking for a business account
He hooked me back up but just internet and phone
No cable tv
dam

I went and bought an antenna. I have reception for the biggies, abc cbs nbc fox
On the fence if I want cable back
Page 1 of 212>