Big Lunar Eclipse

September 25th, 2015 at 6:37:05 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
This weekend there will be a total Lunar eclipse (google for details on dates and places).

This means the Earth will get between the Sun and Moon, completely obscuring the Sun. As the Earth is rather bigger than the Moon, totality lasts longer than in a Solar eclipse. Also as the Earth has an atmosphere, light passing through it's edges will reach the Moon. Light which travels through the thickness of our atmosphere turns red, which means the Moon will look red as well during totality. It's a rather impressive show.

My plans for it are to read about it and maybe look for a live webcast, as the weather will be cloudy with a chance of further clouds and rain :(
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 28th, 2015 at 7:18:08 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
As predicted, the sky over Mex City was cloudier than a could factory during the world's thickest fog.

What I didn't count on was having the webcast interrupted every two minutes. I have a really good internet connection that streams Netflix without breaking a sweat. By the time totality took place and the Moon reddened, I lost patience with resetting/reloading the site.

It's ok. I've seen Lunar eclipses before.

BTW, the next "Super Moon" total Lunar eclipse will take place in 2033. But there will be other eclipses between now and then. Just with the Moon not at perigee.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER