Buying Hints: GPS

Page 1 of 212>
September 9th, 2015 at 2:08:50 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
We have a GPS thread already but I didn't see any tips for what to buy.

I have a handheld GPS and can tell you how to do a lot of stuff with it, including putting stuff in from Google Earth [and vice versa] using latitude and longitude: degrees, minutes, and seconds and how to convert since one starts using decimals instead of going as far as seconds. And plenty of other tricks and the difference in meaning of heading and bearing, and compass north and true north, and more.

But none of this translates to knowing:

*what a good GPS brand and model is to buy for a vehicle, a different beast

*what features to actually avoid

and that sort of thing. I am going to buy one, can anyone help in our vaunted collection of smart guys here?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 9th, 2015 at 2:14:27 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I'm thinking of getting one to mount on the handlebars of my unicycle. Any suggestions?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 9th, 2015 at 2:28:19 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Wizard
I'm thinking of getting one to mount on the handlebars of my unicycle. Any suggestions?
As long as you guys are talking about being on the road system, are you going somewhere where there is no cell signal?

For nav purposes where cell signal exists, I believe it more accurate than GPS, especially with "selective availability". It may have changed but I put a unit in my truck big enough to see and got so pissed at it within a day, I took it back. Lying SOB's.

Is there an "app" for that?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 9th, 2015 at 2:31:18 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Get a Garmin instead of a TomTom. I tried TomTom this time and really do not like it, Garmin does a bunch of little things way better.

I'm not big on the extra features. I want to be able to type in the address and go, plus have a good "points of interest" to find food/gas when needed.
The President is a fink.
September 9th, 2015 at 2:53:31 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Here's my tip of the day.

I don't subscribe to Consumer Reports at the moment, but sometime when I'm looking for something I type "consumer reports" and the item in Google and see if I can find a link where someone mentions a good rating or a couple top rated ones by Consumer Reports.

Sometimes you have to go through a page or two of links. Hey, but it's free.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 9th, 2015 at 3:13:39 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I'm thinking of getting the Garmin Edge 1000. Any comments pro or con?
September 9th, 2015 at 4:26:35 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89

iPhones have several offerings for apps that provide GPS functions, including at least one I have seen with audible turn by turn directions. Are you sure you need a separate device for your anticipated tasks?

I would be reluctant to put any electrical device in a position where it could receive sharp impact. Mounting it on a unicycle would be such a place.

I have had a good experience with my old Garmin. Even after several years of use, the screen is still visible in daylight, the volume can be set loud enough for me to hear above the road noise, and entering addresses is fairly easy via the touch screen. The only bummer, is that the built in battery doesn't hold a charge for more than a few minutes now, so the only time I use it is when it is plugged into the lighter.
September 9th, 2015 at 6:05:34 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I don't get the suggestions about cell phone coverage being good enough, care to explain, anyone?

I have a lot of respect for Garmin handhelds. I also once had a Magellan handheld, and it had elements of trying to be more user-friendly. That was some time ago though.

I have heard of tom toms being around $100, that sounded good. But I would spend more if worth it; I don't want to spend $450.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 9th, 2015 at 6:50:52 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Ayecarumba
iPhones have several offerings for apps that provide GPS functions, including at least one I have seen with audible turn by turn directions. Are you sure you need a separate device for your anticipated tasks?

One reason I want a GPS is to track long bicycle/unicycle rides. Potentially up to eight hours. The Strava iPhone app does what I want but it is a huge battery and data hog. Plus, it is cell tower based, and I sometimes go places with no coverage.

Question for the GPS experts -- If I buy a satellite based one, it is my understanding it is pre-loaded with US map data. What would happen if I took it to Europe? Would it recognize where it is and download street data as needed?
September 9th, 2015 at 10:05:13 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I would be concerned with it getting dropped if it is attached to your unicycle. It would need a housing much tougher than what you would usually need for a road bike. I would be concerned with battery performance too. My Garmin unit's battery life faded pretty quickly. Consistently running it for 8 hours will not be possible after a year or two. You will need another battery or charging source along the way.

Garmin has international maps available on their website. You have to buy them by country or region, and they run about 80 per. It adds up if you are going on the "Grand Tour".
Page 1 of 212>