Belief contrary to evidence.

Page 1 of 212>
August 28th, 2015 at 11:26:31 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Why is apple so often lauded for its genius in design?

Having used an iphone for several months now (over a year??), I have found several irritating details in the design. To wit:

The phone is slippery and tends to fall off tables, even when the surface seems level. How come the screen hasn't even cracked yet, is a mystery comparable to the nature of Dark Matter,

The lack of a native OS back button requires looking for one in each app. Typically they'll be in different places on each.

The physical home button makes no sense on a touch device. Clicking it twice to bring up the app switcher is not intuitive.

If you don't use the phone as Apple intends, it never lets you forget. Strike that. It will constantly annoy you until you do. I've mentioned before I've cellular data switched off for a number of apps, including podcasts, Audible and news readers. Why? Cell data costs money. I don't pay for it, my employer does, but it's limited. I don't really know how much I have available, nor do I want to bother keeping track. It's easier not to enable cell data for downloading massive files like podcasts and audio books, or to tempt me to waste it on news readers. I use them well enough with WiFi. I need the cell data to use Google maps, and to receive and send email and messages.

But the Apple OS reminds me I don't have cell data enabled whenever I run these apps without available WiFi. This in itself wouldn't be so bad, except the app cannot be used until you dismiss the warning. Worse yet, even when there is WiFi, if the app is open and on top when you exit the lock screen, then WiFi or not you get the warning and the delay in using the app.

I can't wait to get a proper Android phone.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 28th, 2015 at 7:16:23 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
I crap works just like the average person that uses it. They also insist we do it their way and will keep bitching and making rules until we follow their way since of course it is the proper way.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
August 29th, 2015 at 4:08:24 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: kenarman
I crap works just like the average person that uses it. They also insist we do it their way and will keep bitching and making rules until we follow their way since of course it is the proper way.

See? That's why I treat Apple as a religion.
August 29th, 2015 at 12:01:04 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Before the end of the century history will have Steve Jobs as a martyr who was persecuted and killed by Bill Gates.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
August 29th, 2015 at 5:32:45 PM permalink
Nareed
Before the end of the century history will have Steve Jobs as a martyr who was persecuted and killed by Bill Gates.

First he has to resurrect, then be gloriously uploaded to The Cloud.
August 29th, 2015 at 7:07:41 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62

I thought that was Godbout who was flying when IBM came calling and whose basic language Bil Gates sold for 200.00 extra.
August 31st, 2015 at 10:07:45 AM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
Did I miss something?

Why is this thread listed under "Religion"?
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
August 31st, 2015 at 12:56:49 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: DJTeddyBear
Did I miss something? . . . Why is this thread listed under "Religion"?
Heck, I can't even figure out Nareed's signature line much less Nareed's topic analysis. I think it is that the most profound "beliefs" are in the area of religion wherein many incidents have to taken with a pinch of salt or in the case of Lot's wife a whole tower of salt.

Other areas of life have great rifts between that which is scientifically established and that which is believed.
September 2nd, 2015 at 2:23:30 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I watched a Jobs/Gates docu last night. I had
forgotten they were friends at one time and
did business together, until Gates started
going after the same buyers as Jobs.

Never owned anything Apple, got no plans.
Having a portable computer I can carry in
my pocket, the Iphone, makes me yawn. I
have no use for it and why would I want to
invent uses if I don't have to.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 2nd, 2015 at 6:21:04 PM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
Quote: Evenbob
Having a portable computer I can carry in
my pocket, the Iphone, makes me yawn. I
have no use for it and why would I want to
invent uses if I don't have to.
I used to be like that.

I swore I would never be one of "those" guys.

Now? I'm one of them.

I get a bat shit crazy if I leave my house without my iPhone.

But the truth is, I'd probably feel the same way if I had gotten any other brand of smart phone.
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
Page 1 of 212>