Jokes like this one

August 12th, 2015 at 9:45:36 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Women and Money

Are jokes like this as common in the gay world as they are in the straight world? I am not so naive as to ask if there are gay people that exploit sex for money, but I am simply asking if the jokes are as ubiquitous ?
August 13th, 2015 at 1:44:26 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
there was no audio.

It is not a joke, it is a fundamental truth of the universe.

Just because a gay reacts to the female figure the same as he would react to a statue, does not alter his sense of humor or his perception of fundamental truths of the universe. His version of the video would be a seated older gay male sloughing off dollar bills to retain the interest of a handsome younger gay male.

Its like the famed "expose yourself to art" poster: the man opening his rain coat to a statue is performing a humorous act no matter what the viewer's orientation is.
August 13th, 2015 at 7:09:04 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
..., does not alter his sense of humor or his perception of fundamental truths of the universe.

John Barrowman is a handsome actor (gay in real life) who starred in the British show, Torchwood. In his initial appearances in Doctor Who he is the object of attraction to the lead female character, and then he is revealed to be sort of omni-sexual. In one scene he kisses both a Rose and Doctor Who and he labored to kiss them both in exactly the same way.

He gradually becomes more romantic with another man which I thought was ground breaking for terrestrial TV. His partner Ianto is killed in a sad episode.

In the next season, Barrowman picks up a man in a gay bar. In some sense it was a different taboo that was broken IMHO. Although we have seen similar scenes before they usually end up with one or the other being a sociopath . In this episode, there is no sociopath, but just two people having sex with no deeper feelings.

I was struck by how often we see one nighter's depicted between straight people on TV, but they are seldom seen among gay characters.
August 13th, 2015 at 11:14:19 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I wouldn't know about doctor who shows. Never watched them despite their longevity and apparent wide spread appeal.

One night stands and their aftermaths are often depicted as to heterosexuals since its so easy to have consequences: pregnancy, disease, blackmail, revenge, divorce, etc. I'm told the activity of gay males and some gay females is quite common and while it might be depicted it would be unlikely to have cinematic "legs". Police shows have often depicted assaults wherein no outright mention was made that a male victim 'walking in the park' was in a cruising area. Police shows often depict male "curb crawlers" driving slowly in female cruising areas including "baby strolls".

One silicon valley woman at a convention in las vegas got picked up by a single and ring-less plumbing firm executive for a one night stand and chose to write about the incident when he was the ring-wearing convention speaker the next morning.

Linda Fiorentino, who in real life brought down an fbi agent, played in Acting On Impulse a woman having a one night stand with both a man and another woman. the man was likeable, shy, engaged, the woman was a psychotic murderer. I suspect real life would normally have such roles reversed as in the prostitute who killed the silicon valley exec on his yacht.
August 13th, 2015 at 1:45:56 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
I wouldn't know about doctor who shows. Never watched them despite their longevity and apparent wide spread appeal.

The episode of Ellen where she "comes out" aired on ABC on April 30, 1997.

Russel Davis was the creator and showrunner of British TV show Queer as Folk (1999–2000) where as a plot point one of the primary characters is a Doctor Who fan. Doctor Who had run from 1963 to 1989, and there was an unsuccessful attempt to revive regular production in 1996.

Russel Davis then brought to American cable (Showtime) an American version of 'Queer as Folk' for five years.

Afterwards he took on the challenge of reviving the "Doctor Who" series beginning in 2005. He decided to introduce some gay characters into the family TV show. However he envisioned a more risky show with more adult themes and increasingly explicit straight and gay sexuality. The spin offshow was called "Torchwood". Less successful, it ended it's UK run 10 July 2009 with a five part miniseries and a combined US/UK run with another miniseries which ended on 9 Sep. 2011. You can watch both shows in their entirety on Netflix.
August 13th, 2015 at 3:03:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin

I was struck by how often we see one nighter's depicted between straight people on TV, but they are seldom seen among gay characters.

Among the Gay men I knew in Calif,
one night stands were their forte.
They lived for them, to have as many
as possible in their lifetimes. Even
couples living together had them.
This was before AIDS and sex was a
sport. BJ's were a sport.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.