Great quotations

October 23rd, 2019 at 2:45:07 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
“When you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left."

Clint Eastwood, Interview, Time Magazine, February 20, 2005
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 28th, 2020 at 6:12:12 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
“Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants – but debt is the money of slaves.”
― Norm Franz
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 1st, 2020 at 10:52:45 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
“But the one great shocking occasion, when tens or hundreds or thousands will join with you, never comes. That’s the difficulty. If the last and worst act of the whole regime had come immediately after the first and smallest, thousands, yes, millions would have been sufficiently shocked—if, let us say, the gassing of the Jews in ’43 had come immediately after the ‘German Firm’ stickers on the windows of non-Jewish shops in ’33. But of course this isn’t the way it happens. In between come all the hundreds of little steps, some of them imperceptible, each of them preparing you not to be shocked by the next. Step C is not so much worse than Step B, and, if you did not make a stand at Step B, why should you at Step C? And so on to Step D.

And one day, too late, your principles, if you were ever sensible of them, all rush in upon you. The burden of self-deception has grown too heavy, and some minor incident, in my case my little boy, hardly more than a baby, saying ‘Jewish swine,’ collapses it all at once, and you see that everything, everything, has changed and changed completely under your nose. The world you live in—your nation, your people—is not the world you were born in at all. The forms are all there, all untouched, all reassuring, the houses, the shops, the jobs, the mealtimes, the visits, the concerts, the cinema, the holidays. But the spirit, which you never noticed because you made the lifelong mistake of identifying it with the forms, is changed. Now you live in a world of hate and fear, and the people who hate and fear do not even know it themselves; when everyone is transformed, no one is transformed. Now you live in a system which rules without responsibility even to God. The system itself could not have intended this in the beginning, but in order to sustain itself it was compelled to go all the way.”

They Thought They Were Free
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 2nd, 2020 at 3:50:08 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Face
They Thought They Were Free

had to wonder what you were quoting

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 10th, 2020 at 1:18:36 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: odiousgambit
had to wonder what you were quoting

Are you now wondering how I became so goddamned prescient?

Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 10th, 2020 at 1:56:02 PM permalink
flebner37
Threads: 0
"Baseball is what we were. Football is what we have become."
-Mary McGrory
February 10th, 2021 at 5:56:57 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
"I started out as a kid up in Abbott, Texas, a little town of about 300 people. They say the population never changes: every time a baby’s born, a man leaves town!"
-Willie Nelson
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 7th, 2021 at 9:20:18 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
Anybody who has ever boiled any starches such as potatoes or pasta and has had bubbles overflow suddenly knows the value of placing a wooden spoon over a boiling pot.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 7th, 2021 at 10:12:26 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Lady Astor to Winston Churchill: “If I were married to you, I’d put poison in your coffee.”

Reply: “If I were married to you, I’d drink it.”
June 17th, 2021 at 12:37:31 PM permalink
rxwine
If you open it — close it 
If you turn it on — turn it off 
If you unlock it — lock it 
If you break it — mend it 
If you borrow it — return it 
If you use it — take care of it 
If you make a mess — clean it up 
If you move it — put it back