Great quotations

Page 3 of 12<123456>Last »
August 11th, 2015 at 6:55:33 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Mosca
"Whenever you feel like criticizing a man, you should walk a mile in his shoes first. Then you can criticize him all you want. Because you're a mile away, and you have his shoes."

Kind of reminds me of all the Steven Wright -isms

Quote:
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."
- Steven Wright
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 11th, 2015 at 9:14:16 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
"An expert is a guy from out of state. " Really gets to me when a big city has to interview guys from out of state to be Police or Fire Chief or head of the school sysyem, etc. Like all the locals are stupid !
August 12th, 2015 at 1:34:34 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Jack Nicholson to Bob Dylan at the national academy awards, awarding Bob Dylan a Grammy for lifetime achievement: [in the best Nicholson voice] "for a constant state of restlessness that has enabled you to seek newer and better means, of expressing the human condition with words and music, for living your creative life fearlessly and without apology and leading the way no matter how the times changed"

https://youtu.be/UxYcaGbHU90 speech by JN starts at 9;50
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 18th, 2015 at 4:55:41 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Recognize the distinction between caution and fear.

Caution helps you cross the street safely, fear freezes you on one side. [Sood]
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 8th, 2015 at 7:53:00 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
The cubicle-izing of people in modern corporations is monolithic insanity."

- Robert Propst (the inventor of the office cubicle who came to regret his invention)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 8th, 2015 at 11:58:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
A hundred years ago, people sat all in one
room, with their typewriters and adding
machines. It was very noisy, and no privacy
at all. The cubicle was inevitable.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 25th, 2015 at 8:27:24 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins—not through strength but by perseverance.
-H.J. Brown, Jr.
June 11th, 2016 at 3:55:23 PM permalink
rxwine
If fact I like that quote enough I'll put it here

Quote:
If this place has done its job—and I suspect it has—you’re all scientists now. Sorry, English and history graduates, even you are, too. Science is not a major or a career. It is a commitment to a systematic way of thinking, an allegiance to a way of building knowledge and explaining the universe through testing and factual observation. The thing is, that isn’t a normal way of thinking. It is unnatural and counterintuitive. It has to be learned. Scientific explanation stands in contrast to the wisdom of divinity and experience and common sense. Common sense once told us that the sun moves across the sky and that being out in the cold produced colds. But a scientific mind recognized that these intuitions were only hypotheses. They had to be tested.
June 23rd, 2016 at 8:56:36 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
"It might be a good idea to keep your friends close and your enemies closer. But what's crucial is to throw your lukewarm allies under the bus; they're the ones who can hurt you the most." Nareed.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 23rd, 2016 at 10:35:21 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: rxwine
If fact I like that quote enough I'll put it here
Sorry RxWine, (or in my financial state it would be RxBeer) but Science, while it might be a commitment to a way of thinking, is fortunately not a commitment to a way of acting, else we would all be eating grubs and rats for their superior nutritional value and killing priests for heresy.
Page 3 of 12<123456>Last »