before or after. The world was wonderful,
everything was great. I can see if you have
a downer life that you could easily get
hooked. It was China's biggest problem
when Mao too over in the late 40's, so
he made it the death penalty if you
were caught selling opiates. It turned
the whole country around.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 6th, 2015 at 7:08:28 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Thought you all had seen this already:

Quote:
A woman born incapable of feeling pain has been hurt for the first time – thanks to a drug normally prescribed for opioid overdoses. She was burned with a laser, and quite liked the experience.

Only a handful people around the world are born unable to feel pain. These individuals can often suffer a range of injuries when they are young. Babies with the condition tend to chew their fingers, toes and lips until they bleed, and toddlers can suffer an increased range of knocks, tumbles and encounters with sharp or hot objects.

The disorder is caused by a rare genetic mutation that results in a lack of ion channels that transport sodium across sensory nerves. Without these channels, known as Nav1.7 channels, nerve cells are unable to communicate pain. Researchers quickly sought to make compounds that blocked Nav1.7 channels, thinking they might be able to block pain in people without the disorder.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn28623-woman-who-has-never-felt-pain-experiences-it-for-the-first-time/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 6th, 2015 at 7:24:38 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: rxwine
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn28623-woman-who-has-never-felt-pain-experiences-it-for-the-first-time/
Interesting
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 7th, 2015 at 6:56:11 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
On an ironic note, our cluster postal box was broken into last night. all eight were pried open. My understanding is that this is not uncommon around this time of year. People trying to find Christmas packages most likely.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 7th, 2015 at 4:57:23 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: AZDuffman
Wait a minute, are you paid by the delivery? I thought USPS was hourly? Or are you on some kind of quota per hour?

Rural Carriers are paid what's called "evaluated time". Using some algorithm, they compute distance plus stops and determine how long the route should take. J Routes are 8.5 hrs, K routes 9.5, etc. That's the "hourly" I get paid. I'm on a K right now. In the summer when there's low volume and barely any parcels, I'll bang the whole day out in ~6 hours. Still get paid 9.5. If today was an anomaly, just a random clusterf#$% that took me 14 hours, I'd still get paid 9.5. That's just how it works. But, since it is non-stop 14 hour days, I've gone so far over the evaluated that it reverts to typical hourly with OT. It's sort of a special case that only happens during this holiday season. When the DPS was all jacked up and I had that one, random 11 hour day in the summer, I only got paid for 9.5. I guess it evens out over the long run; it just sucks that I worked like one day a week when I could bang it out in 6 hours, and am now the goddamn Running Man trying to survive the next 14hr torture test =p

Quote: DRich
On an ironic note, our cluster postal box was broken into last night. all eight were pried open. My understanding is that this is not uncommon around this time of year. People trying to find Christmas packages most likely.

I am both surprised it doesn't happen more often, and surprised they bothered with the cluster.

There's a billion packages in all sorts of mailboxes. In the box, on people's steps, they're just everywhere. You could easily go box to box and nick 'em all, and you don't even need force or tools. Granted, you'd score mostly dick pills, but there's gotta be some electronics, jewelry, and other small items tossed here or there.

I fantasize about being carjacked every single day. Hell, they hit me at 10a and I'll even help them unload the truck. Anything for a break from this parcel filled hell =,(

As if I needed another reason to hate Standard Time, delivering at night is near suicidal. There is so much glass with those giant windows it's like being inside a kaleidoscope. Add to that the 7 mirrors that already make clear day driving sketchy and it's just a matter of time. My delivering slows to an absolute crawl as I can't see anything. Remember, all of the dome and cargo lights must be on for me to read the mail, so it's reflection city inside. I look out a window and I have reflection of the inside, reflection of the right outside on the inside of the left window, reflection of the mirror reflecting off the window reflecting off the opposite window. I have no idea what's going on outside my truck. I've already stopped caring. I just go, no other choice.

Screaming at my boss (henceforth referred to as "Peter" in honor of the Peter Principle) got me yesterday off, but it looks like that is that. I'm staring down the barrel of 18 straight days of this s#$% with my only reprieve a holiday I loathe, and then it's right back to non-stop. I'm feeling cocky so I'll set the line at 8.5 days before something breaks. Back, patience, mind... one is going to go. Since I just lost the heart and mind of my kid and will soon lose him to Florida for good, my money's on mind. Perhaps EB will volunteer to be my liaison, so I can maintain my posting from prison =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
December 7th, 2015 at 6:13:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Kids stealing packages from porches is
nothing new. I saw a movie made in
the 30's and a gang of kids was in the
business of mail theft. 80 years ago.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 7th, 2015 at 6:35:45 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Evenbob
Kids stealing packages from porches is
nothing new. I saw a movie made in
the 30's and a gang of kids was in the
business of mail theft. 80 years ago.

Every help yourself to the milk bottle money when you were a kid EB. Was a pretty common occurrence.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
December 7th, 2015 at 9:01:08 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Quote: Face

....Since I just lost the heart and mind of my kid and will soon lose him to Florida for good, my money's on mind. Perhaps EB will volunteer to be my liaison, so I can maintain my posting from prison =p

Then what's the point, Face? Move to Florida to a part of the state where the economy is better and stay close to your child. Building and maintaining a relationship to him is far more important than any dollar amount you will make.
December 8th, 2015 at 12:24:09 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Face
. Since I just lost the heart and mind of my kid and will soon lose him to Florida for good

I thought your full custody was a done deal.

WTF
December 12th, 2015 at 3:16:46 PM permalink
Evenbob
No posts from Face since Monday, did he
live thru the week?