Can we have the replacement refs back please?

November 22nd, 2012 at 2:00:45 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Forsett's knee was clearly down. But because the coach throws the review flag, the play becomes unreviewable. Rib, we was robbed, I tell yah!

(Yes, I know, there was plenty of ways the Lions could have won that game.. Hanson missing a 47 yarder was the last of those issues...)
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 22nd, 2012 at 2:50:18 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: TheCesspit
Forsett's knee was clearly down. But because the coach throws the review flag, the play becomes unreviewable. Rib, we was robbed, I tell yah!

(Yes, I know, there was plenty of ways the Lions could have won that game.. Hanson missing a 47 yarder was the last of those issues...)

I'm a Texans fan but that rule violates the whole "two wrongs don't make a right" deal for me...

The refs blew the call

The coach blew the replay

I say change the rule...15 yard penalty with the result of the review counting...then it is a more acceptable outcome for everyone.

The Texans dodged a bullet...
November 22nd, 2012 at 3:11:33 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: RonC
I'm a Texans fan but that rule violates the whole "two wrongs don't make a right" deal for me...

The refs blew the call

The coach blew the replay

I say change the rule...15 yard penalty with the result of the review counting...then it is a more acceptable outcome for everyone.

The Texans dodged a bullet...

I agree, I don't have a real problem with the the 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct (harsh, but reasonable). But a review getting waived off because of a subsequent penalty... they didn't do that last week when there was a unsportsmanlike conduct on a touchdown for over celebration!
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 22nd, 2012 at 3:52:34 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
I agree, I don't have a real problem with the the 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct (harsh, but reasonable). But a review getting waived off because of a subsequent penalty... they didn't do that last week when there was a unsportsmanlike conduct on a touchdown for over celebration!

They said the ruling had to do with the "illegal challenge"...the team making the illegal challenge cannot benefit from said challenge. Since the runner was never blown dead, they needed the booth review to overturn the call on the field but couldn't get it because it would benefit the team making the illegal challenge.

Who the hell went to all the trouble to come up with such a circuitous way to let a horrible call stand? They couldn't see something like this happening?

The only positive is that it would have been first down Texans no matter what...they might even have scored without the call....
November 22nd, 2012 at 4:02:15 PM permalink
TheCesspit
That's a nonsense as the review has to happen anyways. All TDs I thought were reviewable. It must be the only TD this year that was NOT reviewed.

15 yard penalty, automatic first down, at around the 40.

And laps for the defence for not playing to the whistle.
November 22nd, 2012 at 5:10:00 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

I haven't seen the game, but it seems you're blaming the refs for applying existing League rules. Blame the League instead.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 22nd, 2012 at 9:28:32 PM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
Guys, it had nothing to do specifically with the throwing of the flag or an "illegal" challenge, ANY foul that delays the next snap precludes a review that might benefit that team. Here is the official communication from the NFL.

So if Detroit had committed some other penalty that resulted in a delay of the next snap, the same thing would have happened: no review, play stands as called (TD).
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
November 22nd, 2012 at 11:11:17 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: AcesAndEights
Guys, it had nothing to do specifically with the throwing of the flag or an "illegal" challenge, ANY foul that delays the next snap precludes a review that might benefit that team. Here is the official communication from the NFL.

So if Detroit had committed some other penalty that resulted in a delay of the next snap, the same thing would have happened: no review, play stands as called (TD).

There we go, thanks, you live and learn. I'm no longer pissed about it. I'm normally only angry for 30 minutes after a Lions loss (I've had practice().