iZombie worthy successor to Buffy

Page 1 of 212>
June 5th, 2015 at 1:28:02 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

I honestly haven't enjoyed a fantasy TV show since Buffy and Angel as much as iZombie.

While CW has 9 fantasy type series all aimed at young adults, I think you will find iZombie the most entertaining to older adults.
iZombie (Zombies created by energy drink)
Supernatural (Demon hunting)
The Vampire Diaries (Vampires)
The Originals (spin off from Vampire diaries)
Beauty & the Beast (genetically engineered cross species DNA splicing | supersoldiers)
The 100 (post apocalyptic re-population of the earth)
The Messengers (angels fighting Satan to prevent Rapture)
Arrow (DC comic superhero Green Arrow)
The Flash (DC comic superhero The flash fastest man on earth)
June 5th, 2015 at 4:43:18 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Between the two photos presented, I'll take the top one each and every time.

What happened to Buffy, the Vampire Slayer? Was her character killed off? Did she get to old, like beyond 22 or something?

Young Adults?? I thought these zombie, vampire, robot movies for for twelve year olds one step away from being in custody for mental issues. You know, that the world really did end when the calendar rolled over into 2000 and this is merely the Millenium Vestigial Galactic Time Warp.
June 5th, 2015 at 7:49:02 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
Young Adults?? I thought these zombie, vampire, robot movies for for twelve year olds one step away from being in custody for mental issues.

Age groups that are reported are: 13-17, 18-24, 25-34, 35-54, 55+, and 18-49.

These shows have less than 2 million viewers. The only reason they stay on TV is that most of them are in the 18-34 year old age bracket.
June 5th, 2015 at 11:15:55 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I don't get zombie movies, and why there
are so many of them. First it was vamps,
which I kinda got. But there is nothing
sexy about living dead people staggering
around eating people. I've tried to watch
maybe two zombie movies and never
made it even halfway.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 5th, 2015 at 12:13:48 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
. But there is nothing sexy about living dead people staggering around eating people.

They make the character of Liv Ullman as cute as you can make a zombie

Sallie Malik in Being Human is a cute ghost, but she becomes a zombie after going to limbo and back. You can see her in the second photo wth some bad flesh.

June 5th, 2015 at 4:49:48 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I don't get zombie movies, and why there
are so many of them. First it was vamps,
which I kinda got. But there is nothing
sexy about living dead people staggering
around eating people. I've tried to watch
maybe two zombie movies and never
made it even halfway.

I totally agree also.
I want a clever villain with great lines to root against.
A zombie to me is boring.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 6th, 2015 at 4:07:18 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: terapined
A zombie to me is boring.

Try watching iZombie. The zombies in this show remain very intelligent and can pass for humans if they feed on brains. They can even have sex. If they don't feed for weeks, they become the traditional zombie.

Liv is a zombie who eats brains at least twice a week

Marcy is a zombie who has not eaten in weeks
June 6th, 2015 at 12:25:04 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
These are sticky points for me, a zombie
can be a normal person if he eats brains
a few times a week. That's a person who
eats, not a zombie. Like in Buffy, vamps
have no beating hearts, they even showed
Angels empty chest once. Yet they eat
and drink and get erections to have sex.
Those little details bothered me somewhat.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 6th, 2015 at 1:58:59 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
We've been watching the show, and find it interesting.

Funny you mention Veronica Mars - we've just started getting those disks from Netflix, too.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
June 6th, 2015 at 2:09:52 PM permalink
Pacomartin
These are sticky points for me, a zombie can be a normal person if he eats brains a few times a week.

I haven't read the comic book, because, I am an adult. But I understand in the comic book she eats brain once a month, and gets putrefying very fast if she is late.
In the TV show she eats a brain about twice a week so she is able to use the memories, skills and emotions of the person to help solve their murder (if they were murdered). She doesn't get putrifying unless she doesn't eat for weeks on end, and she gets emotional and angry she becomes dangerous with scary eyes.

They don't bleed if cut and they can survive being thrown from a car

In "Death Becomes Her" the immortals had to live with whatever horrible things that happened to their body (like broken necks and holes). It is not clear if the zombies can patch up knife cuts, and broken limbs. They are not immortal, and can be killed with severe head injuries or bullets to the brain.

You can see in this zombie fight that both of them have taken a knife through the hand, and it is painful. But presumably afterwards the wound would still be visible which would make it difficult to "pass" for human.

Quote: Dalex64
Funny you mention Veronica Mars - we've just started getting those disks from Netflix, too.

Rom Thomas created Veronica Mars, and he also developed iZombie for TV from the comic strip. They seem similar in some ways.
Page 1 of 212>