The Side Hustle Thread (split from Bees with AZD)

June 27th, 2015 at 12:42:47 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
In the past, I've posted about reptile wrangling as a side hustle one added bit of income from that is milking venom and then selling it to pharmaceutical labs.
July 12th, 2015 at 10:04:28 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: odiousgambit
I'm experiencing this odd thing of completely missing seeing this thread till now! what the?
Fascinating, let me catch up.

well, OG, Fasten your seatbelt because here is the ultimate in side gigs ECA ENVIRONMENTALLY CONTROLLED AGRICULTURE.

Its cheap sensors (temp humidity water flow uv light spectrum sensing sensors all arduino linked (raspberry pi predecessor) data intensive, automated for super yields.
examples
growing corn in a cave rich in carbon dioxide
growing 900 pounds of tomatoes on a quarter acre in vegas
growing roses, chickens and strawberries on an eighth of an Oregon acre under ultra high carbon dioxide
growing 137 pounds of potatoes in one barrel
growing oodles of strawberries upside down

It takes a bit of wiring skill to install sensors and electronic scales and its all computer controlled because environmental issues often forbid or restrict entry by humans or daylight or normal air, etc.
July 22nd, 2015 at 7:03:06 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
THE LIFE OF AN AIRPORT COURIER

Oil and Gas is dead as Dillinger right now. So I have taken what should be a side hustle and made it a main hustle for now. When I get back to my regular biz I plan to keep doing this on the weekends and some evenings as it is fairly easy and a good backup plan.

THE BACKGROUND

I did some courier work before. It was mostly easy. Go here, get that, take it there. Problem was that work was really sporadic. Lots of "around the block" work, fed lots of parking meters. You had to show up and sit, awaiting work. At the time I had a smaller car so that limited me. But it kept me form defaulting on any bills. I liked the solitude of the job. I always put it in back of my mind that if I was out of work I would look at it again while I was out.

THE "INTERVIEW."

The ad was fairly simple, need a car, need a smartphone, call! So I did. I did not even know what they were hauling, didn't much care. They said it was baggage so a decent size car was needed, also an Android phone as the app does not work right on the iPhone. A clean background was a must. I had 2/3 and said I would get a cheapo android. I was pretty much in at this point. Nothing to do but wait for the call.

THE GIG

Have you had a suitcase not show up when you did? That's where I come in. Every 3 hours or so we "sweep" all the airlines servicing PIT. Then a semi-scientific sort for geography and who can fit how much in their vehicle. Call people if needed. Route it with google maps, then you are off.

After you load up!

Yes, she is totally full, along with the passenger seat if I am lucky. I say "lucky" because this is a total commission gig. It gets sweet if you have a "stacked" day. IOW, I get paid the bag and the trip. So if one bag goes 90 miles and another 100 I get paid both, if I just get one for 100 I get paid once. Two bags in one address I get paid once. It works out, but there is variance. You take the good, you take the bad. I know from managing routes that people who whine are a pain and those who take what is in front of them get called more often.

THE TAKEAWAYS

A few things I have learned or relearned:

America, you pack too much. You cannot believe how heavy some bags are.

America, you do not put good numbers on your houses. But I will let Face handle that further.

My work priorities have changed as I have aged. Over the years I thought how great it would be to be in management. To work downtown amongst all the tall buildings. Or to work at a company with one of those huge office campuses with a gym and fancy stuff. To have my own desk and office. You know the drill, what you think of growing up, in your schooling, and at a job you no longer like.

Well, I have done all of the above. And I have found my biggest motivation is to be in a job where I do not get hassled. This one is great for that. Everything the boss laid out to not do or do was either common sense or I learned it on a paper route at age 13. the pay is not huge, but it is a food-in-the-fridge job, holding out between freelance gigs.

One danger is that the life is a little addicting. Sleep late or at the least get up early and loaf. Pick up bags, deliver. Repeat. If I was retired I would do this to pass the time.
The President is a fink.
July 22nd, 2015 at 9:45:44 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: AZDuffman

America, you do not put good numbers on your houses. But I will let Face handle that further.

DON'T GET ME STARTED!

You frickin' people... it takes 20 seconds and about $1. Just put some contrasting, 3" numbers on your house conspicuously. Don't use red because it fades. Don't put mauve numbers on your beige house. Don't engrave the numbers into a rock and then display the rock in your weed filled garden. Put them on your mailbox, put them on the post that holds your mailbox, put them on a sign and hang it by your front door, anything. Label your GD houses! Even if you hate the mailman, the ambulance/firetruck don't know you, either. And 10sec is a long damn time when your heart is plugged or your kid is choking.

I'm wondering where you live, AZD. Not to get specific and ruin your privacy, but I've never even heard of a lot of the hustles you talk about. I suppose that's a product of living on the outskirts of a town of 2,900. I suppose you must live closer to metro?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
July 22nd, 2015 at 10:08:35 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Face
DON'T GET ME STARTED!

You frickin' people... it takes 20 seconds and about $1. Just put some contrasting, 3" numbers on your house conspicuously. Don't use red because it fades. Don't put mauve numbers on your beige house. Don't engrave the numbers into a rock and then display the rock in your weed filled garden. Put them on your mailbox, put them on the post that holds your mailbox, put them on a sign and hang it by your front door, anything. Label your GD houses! Even if you hate the mailman, the ambulance/firetruck don't know you, either. And 10sec is a long damn time when your heart is plugged or your kid is choking.

WHAT HE SAID!

Quote:
I'm wondering where you live, AZD. Not to get specific and ruin your privacy, but I've never even heard of a lot of the hustles you talk about. I suppose that's a product of living on the outskirts of a town of 2,900. I suppose you must live closer to metro?

I live in Pittsburgh Metro, about 20 mins from the airport. Yes, larger metro = more hustles. OTOH, I seem to be predisposed to finding them. Family and best friends all ask, "How on earth did you find that?" or "how many side things do you do anyways?" The life sounds more exciting than it is, though to someone chained to a desk listening to a boss drone on about gobblygook that gives value to nobody I can see why they say they wish they had the guts. When I have most of my personal debt paid in 2-3 years then I can really get wilder.
The President is a fink.
July 22nd, 2015 at 11:22:17 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Face
DON'T GET ME STARTED!

You frickin' people... it takes 20 seconds and about $1. Just put some contrasting, 3" numbers on your house conspicuously.?

I live in a townhouse community.
My number is not on my front door, its on my garage.
My front door is jut to the right of my garage, the logic is my driveway has a sidewalk attached going to my front door. The other side of my garage is my neighbors frond door but you have to cross a small strip of grass to get to his front door.
Therefore Fedex always looks at his number on his garage, instead of following the sidewalk attached to the driveway, they cross the small strip of grass and leave me the package.
Got tired of this, went to hardware store, spent a couple dollars on numbers to put on my door.
Fedex or UPS has not made a mistake since.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 22nd, 2015 at 11:34:08 AM permalink
Fleastiff
some washington state counties recently went thru street number and street name standardization....... big mess.

Often curb painted numbers are boy scout projects or large reflective numbers are distributed by the local fire department on turn in your hazardous chemicals day.
July 23rd, 2015 at 8:08:21 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Third week into this and finally a real check on the way! Some songs just make more sense:

Let me say that you have not live until you have been up 40 hours and driven for 23 of 24! What did last Sunday look like? I arrived at the airport at call it 12:01 AM. Took on a load. I forget how many odd miles but I get home about 12:30, or about 12+ hours later. Only real food was some Tim Horton's breakfast items, yummers! Now, I had been up since 6 before I went to work at midnight. At sunrise I had 1-2 more bags to deliver and when the sun comes up your mind realized you have been up 24+ hours and cannot stop. Hit a rest area and did some jumping jacks, windmills, and benders which was the old high school workout. That got the blood flowing and I pushed on. Make last delivery and have the aforesaid breakfast. Head home. BUT, I have to be back at work at 2:30!

To call what I had "sleep" is exaggerated. If you have ever seen that show with real Navy Seal training and the trainer says how they get to the edge of sleep but not fully asleep, that is it. I did not want to miss my next run. 2:30 back to the airport. I had loaded on coffee before midnight and got one more over the night so my body by now kind of a mess. No time to worry, you can sleep during the week when it is slow. Pull out, drive all over creation again. 11:30 and I am up the block from home, just then it hits exactly 24 hours ago I was leaving for this shift!

What is weird is such a shift can be exhilarating. I woke up the normal time and worked Monday! By Tuesday my muscles were starting to get upset with me, however. I always loved the highway as as kid, I think that is what I like now. One thing learned is avoid crossing into PA from OH on the Turnpike as it is a $6 toll collected one-way. Westbound is free.

Another tip to Mr and Mrs America---LABEL YOUR LUGGAGE! Put your name and address on the outside. It saves me time and makes sure you get the right bag.
The President is a fink.
July 23rd, 2015 at 10:53:45 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
a) They have Timmies down there? We'll colonize you yet.
b) Many would argue 'Tim Horton's' and 'Real Food' are not like concepts. I disagree, they make great road fuel.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
July 23rd, 2015 at 11:11:31 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: TheCesspit
a) They have Timmies down there? We'll colonize you yet.
b) Many would argue 'Tim Horton's' and 'Real Food' are not like concepts. I disagree, they make great road fuel.

Not enough of them, few and far between. Unlike in Buffalo. I usually like them, a cut above most fast food and a change from Dunkin.
The President is a fink.