The Side Hustle Thread (split from Bees with AZD)

Page 24 of 26« First<212223242526>
April 11th, 2018 at 12:49:18 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
How about an Anti Click Bait site? Could it take money.

Collect all those 'teaser headlines' and the clickbait stories that put one sentence per page and feed you dozen adds.
But
Just present them directly with no constant clicking. It will draw traffic to the one or two ads that you allow?

Would it fly?
April 11th, 2018 at 12:54:35 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Fleastiff
How about an Anti Click Bait site? Could it take money.

Collect all those 'teaser headlines' and the clickbait stories that put one sentence per page and feed you dozen adds.
But
Just present them directly with no constant clicking. It will draw traffic to the one or two ads that you allow?

Would it fly?

That would mostly likely involve copyright violation.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 11th, 2018 at 6:02:59 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: DRich
That would mostly likely involve copyright violation.
I thought that booktitles and newspaper headlines were not subject to copyright laws. The stories linked to are news items not necessarily owned by clickbait sites. And often the seeker has no desire to read the whole story anyway, just the gist of it, perhaps ten percent at the most.
April 12th, 2018 at 7:05:17 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I thought that booktitles and newspaper headlines were not subject to copyright laws. The stories linked to are news items not necessarily owned by clickbait sites. And often the seeker has no desire to read the whole story anyway, just the gist of it, perhaps ten percent at the most.

You are correct as long as you don't copy the actual stories.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
June 7th, 2018 at 9:57:48 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Getting onto a popular dog walking app as a dog walker is as rigorous as "getting into Harvard." Makes sense, you'll be going into stranger's houses often when they're not home. If you don't have plenty of prior experiences, references, clean background checks, they aren't going to let you on their app to work.

Quote:
Amy Woldrich is traveling across the country in an RV, staying in a new city every month or two (she is currently in Austin, Texas). And she's able to do it thanks to her flexible and lucrative side gig as a dog walker for Rover.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careersandeducation/this-35-year-old-is-traveling-america-in-an-rv-making-up-to-dollar1000-a-week-—-thanks-to-a-dog-walking-app/ar-AAyi6eS?ocid=spartanntp
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 7th, 2018 at 3:43:39 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Dog walker, doggie day care, etc. are profitable and therefore people who just got out of rehab are drawn to it. Trustworthiness is the important thing. Always.

One woman was a professional house sitter every winter that took trust also.

A lot of people out there don't want to wind up with dead dogs because the dog walker left then in the hot car when she went into an air conditioned bar.

Of course there was that famous Oprah Winfrey show where they sent this young attractive girl into a Nanny Agency disclosed the jail and rehab history even disclosed the felony child endangerment conviction and the Nanny Agency still sent her out to unsuspecting NYC area parents who needed a nanny for a day.

At least the dogs will be safer.
June 23rd, 2018 at 6:32:57 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Let's face it. Pretty much everything is
online now. Craigs list, Angie's List, Google Home Services, etc. etc.

But its hard to judge quality much less express it in meaningful terms.

A maid service can be prompt and honest but often the problems that arise with customers are really language barrier things. And no mater how often an English-speaking homeowner demonstrates that sheets go on a bed lengthways, its not going to make much difference to the Spanish speaking maid how often the woman uses the English word "long". The maid may work long and hard but they live in a world where they speak Spanish, not English and really are not paying attention to the English speaking homeowner simply because she is speaking a foreign language.

As maid services grow they hire other maids and then it becomes an issue of supervision and management and scheduling issues, which would severely change the ratings on Angie's List or the like, but there is no way those lists can be accurately and promptly curated.

Once that incident of half a dozen dogs dying in a hot car because the doggie day care driver went into an air conditioned bar and drank all day hit the news I'm sure ALL pet care services in the area suffered greatly.
June 23rd, 2018 at 1:10:07 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Let's face it. Pretty much everything is
online now. Craigs list, Angie's List, Google Home Services, etc. etc.

But its hard to judge quality much less express it in meaningful terms.

I was looking for a utility vest, (tool vest) but although I can find them online, it's really hard to judge the function of it, since I am using it for specialized equipment. If the large pocket is split into multiple pockets, that makes it useless for certain objects. Or if it is just too small. It's hard to judge that kind of thing online comparing vests, where it's easy on a rack.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 23rd, 2018 at 1:38:14 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Many online vendors simply post a small picture of the item, a quick description and a price. Often its advantageous to go to the manufacturer's own website and see if better photographs and a more detailed description is available.

Trust is an issue.

Returning things is annoying and can trigger vendor scrutiny.

trust in dog walker app, trust in home services, trust in anything ... hard to do online but that is the new world of ecommerce.
July 1st, 2018 at 5:09:29 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Web skills can be purchased for awhile as you develop better skills. Patience is "purchased" rather easily too... you find patience comes when you drive to the bank with all your profits.

I wonder how many embark in a rickety old boat with a video camera, a dog and a broad but soon sink? After all that Australian guy who recently got a million dollar yacht and a great contract from the builder did run his boat across well-marked rocks on his very first voyage, never having even considered water depth or looking at a chart.

The three young adventurers who years ago bought a rickety old sailboat and went wandering arond the Caribbean did sail into a state of 'no food, no water, no money' but now they are: a world famous cryptographer, a wealthy and talented wedding photographer and a very happy botanist. Boldness helps but I guess luck plays a role.
I posted both in this thread and in the DIY thread about the adventuresome life of "micro influencers". That Australian couple who started sailing and youtubeing around the world and parlayed it into a two million dollar catamaran for free have been doing very well for themselves. Their sponsors and patrons all know so I thought I'd let everyone here know that they had been discussing having a baby and their first try at it was a success. So they will be doing the Bahamas for awhile with frequent trips to Florida. They intend to have a Florida birth and US citizenship for the kid. Not bad for a man who bought a sailboat in Italy but knew nothing about sailing and a girl singing for her supper as she bummed around the world. They met, dinner, drinks and the sack. When she woke up the next morning he asked her if she would like to come sailing around the world with him. She said yes. And now they have a multimillion dollar yacht, considerable electronic posessions, a library of recorded songs and haven't worked a day in their lives ever since meeting each other.
Page 24 of 26« First<212223242526>