Gigafactory

May 17th, 2015 at 7:29:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
I am just saying that Evenbob must have a single switch somewhere that shuts off all power to his house. He may have a different account for his barn,

I said shut off the main box and it's all dead.
Barn has new service from it's own pole at
the road. I have 220 coming to the house
from the barn on an underground Romex
I put in. I should hook a breaker box to
that and run some new wiring in the house.
Completely illegal, of course. Just like the
drywell I put in last year instead of putting
in a new drain field. Guy who did it risked
his heavy equipment license, but cash is
king. Cost me 1/10th of what a field would
have cost.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 18th, 2015 at 3:43:50 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob

Barn has new service from it's own pole at the road. I have 220 coming to the house from the barn on an underground Romex I put in. I should hook a breaker box to
that and run some new wiring in the house. Completely illegal, of course.

I am not sure why that is completely illegal. We have a garage with a gardener's apartment 25 years from the house and there is an underground conduit that has been used for electricity and cable TV.
May 18th, 2015 at 12:16:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
Any new electric line has to be approved by
the township. I installed the last 2 furnaces,
also illegal here. You can't even buy a furnace
with out a license. I ordered them from out of
state. The electricians union wants a piece of
everything, so they pushed for all these laws.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 25th, 2015 at 2:04:36 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Power outage darkens Rittenhouse Square luxury tower

See here are good customers for the Tesla Powerwall. these 143 condos in center city Philadelphia are sold for up to $12 million apiece, and they lost power for 30 hours. They don't have room for individual generators, and given the price of the apartments they can easily afford $3K for a 220 pound battery to keep some essential services running.
May 25th, 2015 at 2:08:32 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

See here are good customers for the Tesla Powerwall. these 143 condos in center city Philadelphia are sold for up to $12 million apiece, and they lost power for 30 hours. They don't have room for individual generators, and given the price of the apartments they can easily afford $3K for a 220 pound battery to keep some essential services running.

Makes it a smarter buy than one of the cars.
The President is a fink.
May 25th, 2015 at 2:57:20 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: AZDuffman
Makes it a smarter buy than one of the cars.

The economics of these kind of apartments are different

But it's still a far cry from Elon Musk's talks about changing the world.
May 25th, 2015 at 3:02:56 PM permalink
Evenbob
The economics of these kind of apartments are different

I could never live there, it's like living
in a hotel room. I've been in a really
old house most of my life, the modern
ones have no personality.
May 25th, 2015 at 11:16:35 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Looks fine to me. If Evenbob turns it down, I'll take it.

I was just thinking.

Here could be an easy way to make money.

1. Small device you plug into your homes outside outlet, and it has an outlet.
2. It measures and calculates the amount of power as well as calculates the energy cost at your current rate.
3. Electric vehicles find your house through an app, pull up and can charge their vehicle. Some method of payment to you the owner. That part would be the beauty of it, especially if there is some auto way of paying without even bothering the owner.

Basically, if you could distribute thousands of such devices, people could cross the country in an electric vehicle without fear of never having a charging station, because even remote farmhouse could have a home station.

Forgot 4. Profit. Not a lot, but some. And basically you've created a grid of power across the country without building a thing.

(yeah yeah, probably loads of zoning regulations and stuff, -- an idea though)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 26th, 2015 at 1:59:08 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
IN fact, come to think of it, with the right kind of electric vehicles there's no reason to rely on gas stations for fueling, or speciality made power stations.

Though it wouldn't surprise me at all if industries try to build in propriety systems to lock in consumers.

Which is still my theory why big companies are interested in hydrogen fuel cells over electric. Too complicated for the average consumer.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 26th, 2015 at 2:31:36 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
ou the owner. That part would be the beauty of it, especially if there is some auto way of paying without even bothering the owner.

Basically, if you could distribute thousands of such devices, people could cross the country in an electric vehicle without fear of never having a charging station, because even remote farmhouse could have a home station.

Forgot 4. Profit. Not a lot, but some. And basically you've created a grid of power across the country without building a thing.

(yeah yeah, probably loads of zoning regulations and stuff, -- an idea though)

Sounds like airbnb for charging, and may be the way to go. Mark it up to $.20 kw/h.
The President is a fink.