New beekeeping with AZDuffman

May 10th, 2017 at 2:37:39 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
The exterminator who was supposed to come to the house yesterday came today. We all stood about 35 feet away from what is left of the swarm and he had some things to share with us. First he said, "those bees are angry". He told us when they move there can be tens of thousands of them that move together and they are carrying everything with them like, honey, building materials, young bees/larvae. Everything to start fresh. He said they are building right away, which we all figured, but I thought they had to go out and gather everything, I didn't know they traveled with it?

He also said he would put on his gear and get spraying and plug the hole for 250.00. I decided to try again tonight with another kind of spray. I know I have gotten many of them. I guess this will continue until I get the queen or I get stung badly? He also mentioned that if I could, try to do it without any lights. I can't do that, I don't want to trip and fall out there in the dark and go turtle with a thousand angry bees after me. The swarm left outside the entrance is about the size of a dollar bill, with bees going in and out.

I will try the foaming spray tonight, this project is getting long winded. He also said because of the extra rain we have received this year there are more bees, flowers etc. Also more termites and that we have a perfect habitat for all the desert bugs with flowering trees and shrubs and water.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 10th, 2017 at 3:03:03 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Idea:
Plug the hole, let them starve to death.
May 10th, 2017 at 3:25:38 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Fleastiff
Idea:
That is my eventual plan, but I can't get close enough yet to plug the hole without a bee suit. They are angry about something?
May 10th, 2017 at 3:34:37 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
Idea:

If you do it had better be plugged good, they are going to try any way possible to get out. Ficam P was the best stuff on the market but the EPA de facto made them pull it for no reason. I took down many a hive with that stuff.
The President is a fink.
May 10th, 2017 at 4:11:09 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: petroglyph
That is my eventual plan, but I can't get close enough yet to plug the hole without a bee suit. They are angry about something?

Whatcha do is take bed liner and roll that s#$% over the hole in like a 3' circle. Watertight, they won't get out.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 10th, 2017 at 5:57:05 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Get a 50ft garden hose and a funnel. Get one end of the hose near and under your target. Need a Windless night. Start pouring a couple gallons of ammonia and bleach into the funnel.

This is dangerous. Or can be. You have to figure out how to mix it and not breathe it at the same time..

Now if you could also trap them under a disposable plastic painter's tarp at the same time it would be gold.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 10th, 2017 at 6:04:29 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Face
Whatcha do is take bed liner and roll that s#$% over the hole in like a 3' circle. Watertight, they won't get out.
It would look good to. I"m going to have to wear a bee suit while I"m painting.
May 10th, 2017 at 6:07:22 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
When bleach is mixed with ammonia, toxic gases called chloramines are produced. Exposure to chloramine gases can cause the following symptoms:  
Coughing.
Nausea.
Shortness of breath.
Watery eyes.
Chest pain.
Irritation to the throat, nose, and eyes.
Wheezing.
Pneumonia and fluid in the lungs.

Kills bees.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 11th, 2017 at 2:52:28 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
Kills bees.

Kills anything that breathes. This should NOT be tried. Very dangerous.
The President is a fink.
July 17th, 2017 at 5:09:14 PM permalink
AZDuffman
UPDATE

Hives are really behind where I think they should be. So we will start feeding again. Fed yesterday, 2 hives ate nearly 4 pounds of sugar in a day and a half! I put out 3 more pounds today, all I have. Will buy more tomorrow and keep putting it out daily until they stop taking it. I will show the feeders when the new ones come, 10 days or so.

Take action among yourselves as to the over/under what they eat.
The President is a fink.