$9 six-pack

Page 2 of 4<1234>
November 19th, 2012 at 9:45:34 PM permalink
98Clubs
Threads: 2
Gimme a $1.99 Oly...Great stuff back in the mid-70's. Pabst Blue Ribbon also. Gennesee and Utica Club good local brews in NE/NY.

As for today... Pabst.
There are four things certain in life... Death, Taxes, the Resistance to them, and Stupidity.
November 19th, 2012 at 9:48:39 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: Face
How long you store that for, reno, and in what manner? I always worry that it's gonna go yucky unless I keep it refrigerated, and a fridge is only so big...

I drink it within 3 or 4 months. I don't refrigerate it (until the last minute) but I do keep it out of the sun, in a cool part of the house. Plenty of grocery stores have beer displays that aren't refrigerated, so I'm not too worried about it spoiling.

It probably depends on the beer, but I just bought a dark ale at Trader Joe's with an expiration date of 2015.
November 20th, 2012 at 4:40:32 PM permalink
Johnzimbo
Threads: 0
Here in texas the grocery stores rotate sales on beer, I can grab Shiner Bock or Dos Equis etc usually for $12.99.

This reminds me of being back in college. For a few months I worked a couple hours each morning at a beer distributor, cleaning the offices and sweeping the warehouse. At the end of every month employees got to take a case of beer from the damaged product. Being the lowest man on the totem pole I always was the last to grab mine, so it was usually a dented six pack of Schlitz malt liqour, a few dented cans of Pabst, etc. But I was considered a god by my roommates, since it was free beer!
November 21st, 2012 at 1:09:39 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
yeah, watch those expiration dates.

If the trend continues I will crank up my homebrewing. IMO the basic homebrewer is duplicating English ales whether he knows it or not, so I just tend to focus on those styles. Ales and porters mostly. Lately I am into putting a certain amount of rye in my ales as an ingredient. Adds a lot of flavor and seems to help head retention. Only for people who like flavor in their beer, however!

You can make excellent beers at home. As for money, the gurus of the craft prefer not to emphasize this, but compared to buying better beers you save money. I use no malt extract, only real grain, so that is especially true for me. Used to be if you searched for the cheapest beer and best bargain, it was about the same, but I wonder now about that. My costs go from about 25 cents to 50 cents a beer, rarely more, and that includes everything I can think of including breakage and other waste.

Any other homebrewers out there?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 21st, 2012 at 4:50:28 PM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
Quote: odiousgambit
My costs go from about 25 cents to 50 cents a beer, rarely more, and that includes everything I can think of including breakage and other waste.

Yeah, but what is your time worth?

Okay, that was mostly a joke, since I'm assuming you actually enjoy obviating this point :)

Quote:

A lot of my friends are hobbyists, but I have never felt the desire to pick it up. I like beer, but I don't love it - not enough to make my own.
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
November 21st, 2012 at 6:36:59 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: odiousgambit

You can make excellent beers at home. As for money, the gurus of the craft prefer not to emphasize this, but compared to buying better beers you save money. I use no malt extract, only real grain, so that is especially true for me. Used to be if you searched for the cheapest beer and best bargain, it was about the same, but I wonder now about that. My costs go from about 25 cents to 50 cents a beer, rarely more, and that includes everything I can think of including breakage and other waste.

Tried it once. My problem was the quantity I had to make was more than I could consume before it went bad, plus I like variety instead of making 2-3 cases at a time. And nowdays I cannot do beer in bottles, it bloats me. I need cans or draught.

IIRC there was once a chain called "U-Brew" in Ontario dedicated to letting people "home brew" in a store as a way to skirt the GST. Anyone have more on that? It was the early 1990s when I read about it.
The President is a fink.
November 21st, 2012 at 9:04:42 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
There's several U-Brew's and version of it here in BC. You have to drop in the yeast, and bottle the results, and you don't just skip the GST, you skip the liquor taxes.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 21st, 2012 at 9:41:27 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: rdw4potus
That's driving me NUTS. Where am I supposed to buy beer in this state? I managed to find wine and liquor, but apparently the liquor stores don't sell beer. But neither do grocery stores. So what am I missing??

What part of PA are you in again? Wegman's supermarkets sell beer, as do many "beer delis". I have no trouble buying 6 packs of anything from Budweiser to Arrogant Bastard. You want Old Rasputin, Wegman's has it.
November 22nd, 2012 at 5:12:36 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mosca
What part of PA are you in again? Wegman's supermarkets sell beer, as do many "beer delis". I have no trouble buying 6 packs of anything from Budweiser to Arrogant Bastard. You want Old Rasputin, Wegman's has it.

The "Beer Delis" are a modified liquor license for a bar, as is the Wegman's. Giant Eagle has the same here, you can only buy in smaller units and only in the hot-foods section of the store. Sheetz flagship in Altoona is part of the experement as well. The biggest part stopping full liberaliztion is the value of the beer distrubutor licenses. They are a powerful lobby, and there may be a thin cast that the state would have to make good on lost value of the license agreement as more and more places are allowed to sell beer.

BTW: Until the 1980s at least you were not allowed to own more than one beer distributor (or maybe 2, I forget exactly.)
The President is a fink.
November 22nd, 2012 at 9:00:14 PM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
Quote: TheCesspit
There's several U-Brew's and version of it here in BC. You have to drop in the yeast, and bottle the results, and you don't just skip the GST, you skip the liquor taxes.

Wow, sounds a lot like WA state's "roll-your-own" cigarette shops, which were all shut down earlier this year. They were shut down due to a Federal law regarding regulations, but even without that law, the state legislature had passed a tax subjecting the RYO cigarettes to the same taxes as regular cigarettes anyway. So they would have faded in popularity as the price advantage all but disappeared.

Surprised your local government hasn't done something similar with these places.
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
Page 2 of 4<1234>