Clarkson Sacked, Top Gear Dead

Page 2 of 4<1234>
March 25th, 2015 at 12:51:24 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: TheCesspit

Absolutely it is, that's the point, and the brand. I honestly think it was not for previous crimes, but for punching someone out. I know few jobs where doing that wouldn't get me dismissed.

True, and I agree. But I want to pout, so I'm going to for a bit =p

Quote: TheCesspit
Sod 'im, for sure it's a shame, but his overly entitled arse can go find another channel, and he'll be back on air, probably with May and Hammond. The hard part will be advertising revenue on a show that's quite likely to slag off any car brand that might advertise on it. Top Gear won't be a BBC cash cow, and that might cause 'em long term problems, but the Beeb isn't meant to be a profit churning exercise.

Now that I think about it, and have a Brit captive ;), could another network do it?

As a typical oblivious American, I guess I viewed the BBC as huge, as in, the largest over there. That means they have a ton of assets, assets that allow them rental fees for airstrips, insurance on multi-million dollar cars, and the ability to tote three guys, three cars, and a host of support all over the bleeding planet for their "events", like "The Search for the Source of the River Nile". You know, all the stuff that makes Top Gear, "Top Gear". I assume there are other outlets up to that challenge? Or do I really not understand money and Top Gear sort of finances itself so it's not an issue? =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 25th, 2015 at 1:01:21 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Never seen either one, I don't know why. I did see
the Brit guy is a good travel movie about food,
does that count?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 25th, 2015 at 1:08:11 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
The BBC suffered several headline making scandals.

Falkland's War: Never once said 'our troops' only "British Troop". UK didn't like that.
Saville Kiddie Sex scandal: Oodles of bad press after one of their stars died and attackers came out of the woodwork.
BBC report on the Saville affair: Reports of delay and soft pedaling to protect him and to protect top management.
BBC report on female discrimination in the work place.

Basically this Top Gear was viewed as the last straw... the BBC had to be seen as acting firmly and promptly. No more scandals.
March 25th, 2015 at 1:53:55 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Dont watch Top Gear.
Not a car head but for some reason, love to watch "Chasing Classic cars"
Anyway, this guy attacked somebody for 30 seconds because his steak dinner was not ready.
As a kid, sure I got into fights.
As an adult, I just cant imagine getting into a fight. Its really unthinkable.
A mature adult deciding to physically punish somebody with blows for 30 seconds, its criminal.
To beat up somebody simply because your steak dinner is not ready.
Sheesh.
He did not leave the BBC much choice but to fire him.
I am a very valued employee, if I hit a fellow employee just once, I'm fired. If I make a fist and simply threaten to hit a fellow employee, I'm fired.
30 seconds of blows, wow, criminal.
One punch homicide, happened up the street from me at the Steak n Shake parking lot. Walking distance from my house
http://www.sptimes.com/2004/03/11/Hillsborough/For_fatal_punch__10_y.shtml

You hit somebody with a fist, it could mean homicide.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 25th, 2015 at 2:01:36 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I think the show will go on. The concept is sound, and remains popular. The hosts can add to the experience, but don't individually make or break the show.

The American version of the show continues to play, despite a different spin on the concept.

Now, if they were to try to make a show without the "Super"cars... that would be a disaster. As long as you can continue to line up the exotic wheels, there are plenty of combinations of human talent that can make it work.
March 25th, 2015 at 2:30:45 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Ayecarumba

The American version of the show continues to play, despite a different spin on the concept.

I just vomited in my mouth a bit. I'd rather be punched in the mouth than watch that garbage =p

Quote: Ayecarumba
Now, if they were to try to make a show without the "Super"cars... that would be a disaster. As long as you can continue to line up the exotic wheels, there are plenty of combinations of human talent that can make it work.

I wonder. They occasionally do reviews based on requests from "Mr. Needham", and always of something dull. Granted, they often spice it up (reviewing a Focus by escaping from a baddie in a Vette, for example), but often times it's just cheap stuff and it's hilarious. Car rugby was a good example, as was car soccer, as was the hot hatch episode in Italy where they raced them on the Monte Carlo GP circuit. And my favorite of all is when they take completely ordinary vehicles and do something extraordinary with them. A hundred dollar moped the length of Vietnam, a Toyota Hilux to the north pole, sports coupes through Iraq, estates through Africa. Those, IMO, are by far the best episodes.

I love a Koenigseggggeegggggegg as much as the next guy, but every guy has his favorites. I find the McLaren MP4-12C to be boring. Lambos are big, blocky, and too complicated. Of Ferarris, the 458 was the first one that gave me "the fizz" since the F-40. So unless you hit something in my wheelhouse, the supercars are just filler to me. The same review in a Morris Marina would be just as entertaining, and probably even funnier.

Drop every supercar but allow the three to be themselves, and I'd continue to tune in every chance I get.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 25th, 2015 at 2:31:45 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
I used to watch the tame car testing show on PBS. If you like watching car testing, you like watching car testing.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 25th, 2015 at 3:00:52 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Watching the later seasons of Top Gear, I thought they had become a menace - leaving a trail of destruction behind them.

They turned over a patio restaraunt during their hovercraft episode, for instance, and turfed some guy's yard and littered parts all over the place during the caravan episode.

If those things were all staged, then I admit that I have been fished in.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 25th, 2015 at 3:38:55 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Face
True, and I agree. But I want to pout, so I'm going to for a bit =p

Now that I think about it, and have a Brit captive ;), could another network do it?

As a typical oblivious American, I guess I viewed the BBC as huge, as in, the largest over there. That means they have a ton of assets, assets that allow them rental fees for airstrips, insurance on multi-million dollar cars, and the ability to tote three guys, three cars, and a host of support all over the bleeding planet for their "events", like "The Search for the Source of the River Nile". You know, all the stuff that makes Top Gear, "Top Gear". I assume there are other outlets up to that challenge? Or do I really not understand money and Top Gear sort of finances itself so it's not an issue? =p

The Beeb gets a licence fee from every household in the UK that has a TV. That's how it's paid for, plus millions of pounds for overseas sales of Top Gear (and some period dramas and detective shows, I'm sure).

Sky and ITV could do it, but I am not sure they'd want to. One of them had 'Fifth Gear' for a while, which had half the old Top Gear crew on (Tiff Needell and Vicki Butler-Henderson). But it they took the Top Gear idea of old (car reviews and motoring related pieces) rather than the more boys own club stuff. Oh... as i search for Ms Butler-Henderson, it seems 5th Gear is still on satellite TV in the UK....

I suspect Top Gear more than paid for itself. I heard some stat like one in every 2 pounds of overseas money and rights sales was from Top Gear. I also heard that the team were having budget cuts all the time, so go figure. Old Clarkson made 12 million last year out of the Beeb, some from presenting and some from other sources.

The production company is possibly independent of the BBC, so they might start shopping the show. It's all possible, though I suspect some of the stunts are far easier with BBC backing (like getting the British Marines involved for a review of the Ford Fiesta).
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 25th, 2015 at 6:03:34 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Face
I just vomited in my mouth a bit. I'd rather be punched in the mouth than watch that garbage =p

I wonder. They occasionally do reviews based on requests from "Mr. Needham", and always of something dull. Granted, they often spice it up (reviewing a Focus by escaping from a baddie in a Vette, for example), but often times it's just cheap stuff and it's hilarious. Car rugby was a good example, as was car soccer, as was the hot hatch episode in Italy where they raced them on the Monte Carlo GP circuit. And my favorite of all is when they take completely ordinary vehicles and do something extraordinary with them. A hundred dollar moped the length of Vietnam, a Toyota Hilux to the north pole, sports coupes through Iraq, estates through Africa. Those, IMO, are by far the best episodes.

I love a Koenigseggggeegggggegg as much as the next guy, but every guy has his favorites. I find the McLaren MP4-12C to be boring. Lambos are big, blocky, and too complicated. Of Ferarris, the 458 was the first one that gave me "the fizz" since the F-40. So unless you hit something in my wheelhouse, the supercars are just filler to me. The same review in a Morris Marina would be just as entertaining, and probably even funnier.

Drop every supercar but allow the three to be themselves, and I'd continue to tune in every chance I get.

I don't think the majority of viewers share your love of the "boys". If you were to ask them which had to go, the people or the cars, I suspect most would say the humans... Well, maybe everyone but "The Stig".
Page 2 of 4<1234>