Computer Help Desk ...

Page 25 of 26« First<2223242526>
August 6th, 2020 at 5:26:12 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
This is weird, wondering if anyone knows.

Placing a sports bet yesterday (love dem Pirates!) and the geolocation was not working. Guy said it was because I was using my ethernet, said it had to be wireless to geolocate.

Has anyone heard of this? The IP of either the computer or my internet box should be the same, should it not?
The President is a fink.
August 6th, 2020 at 5:52:05 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: AZDuffman
This is weird, wondering if anyone knows.

Placing a sports bet yesterday (love dem Pirates!) and the geolocation was not working. Guy said it was because I was using my ethernet, said it had to be wireless to geolocate.

Has anyone heard of this? The IP of either the computer or my internet box should be the same, should it not?

Yes, several gambling platforms that require geolocation do not work with a wired internet connection. I never looked into exactly what they are doing from a technical standpoint, but they often require WiFi.
August 6th, 2020 at 6:11:30 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

You can use ethernet connection, but you must have wireless turned on as well in order for geolocation to work well. If not they try to use your IP address to map you to a location, but that can easily result in errors up to 80 miles.
August 6th, 2020 at 7:38:11 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Weird that it has to be wireless.
The President is a fink.
August 6th, 2020 at 7:44:13 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Weird that it has to be wireless.

“ As the industry expanded to the state of New Jersey, a new method of geolocation was deployed.[5] This method triangulated wifi networks near the player to determine his or her physical location. This method was much more precise.[6] Players reported fewer difficulties and even those located close to New Jersey's border could still correctly pass the geolocation check.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geolocation_in_online_gambling
August 6th, 2020 at 7:59:06 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: gamerfreak
“ As the industry expanded to the state of New Jersey, a new method of geolocation was deployed.[5] This method triangulated wifi networks near the player to determine his or her physical location. This method was much more precise.[6] Players reported fewer difficulties and even those located close to New Jersey's border could still correctly pass the geolocation check.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geolocation_in_online_gambling

That explains a lot. But I cannot believe they can pick up my WiFi signal like that. Whatever. One day this state to state thing will be no more I hope.
The President is a fink.
March 23rd, 2021 at 2:07:56 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Just bought a new laptop
Trying to install Civilization 5
1st got to install Steam
They own it and need to go through them to play
Windows would not let me install Steam
WTF
Its not microsoft software
WTF
I have to get out of some damm "S"mode which I think is safe mode
I got out of S mode and finally allowed to install Steam
sheesh
When I click on something as the administrator, I should be allowed to do what I want
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 23rd, 2021 at 3:17:33 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: terapined
Just bought a new laptop
1st got to install Steam
WTF
WTF
sheesh
When I click on something as the administrator, I should be allowed to do what I want

Civ 5 is amazing.

As for you laptop defaulting to safe mode I cannot assist you, but installing Civ 5 is a worthy cause.
March 24th, 2021 at 6:17:03 AM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3
Quote: terapined
Just bought a new laptop
1st got to install Steam
WTF
WTF
sheesh

You should have done proper RESEARCH BEFORE you purchased the laptop.

You go buy a “s” mode MS laptop, which is specifically designed to increase security and performance by only allowing apps from the Microsoft Store to be run/installed and then you complain when you are unable to install (without disabling the “s” mode security protections) non-MS Store software. WTF, sheesh give me a break.
Let's go Brandon
March 24th, 2021 at 6:25:09 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: fleaswatter
You should have done proper RESEARCH BEFORE you purchased the laptop.

You go buy a “s” mode MS laptop, which is specifically designed to increase security and performance by only allowing apps from the Microsoft Store to be run/installed and then you complain when you are unable to install (without disabling the “s” mode security protections) non-MS Store software. WTF, sheesh give me a break.

I think all the new ones are S mode
I really dont think in reality it's done for safety
I think it's a marketing tool to discourage using software outside of Microsoft
It was actually a very simple fix
Just initial frustration because I never encountered this before.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
Page 25 of 26« First<2223242526>