Computer Help Desk ...

April 22nd, 2019 at 11:47:50 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Evenbob
Haven't had a printer in 15 years,
I never use them. If I need something
printed the library does it for 10 cents.
I hate home printers with a passion, even though I concede they can come in handy.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 9th, 2019 at 9:08:14 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Anyone know how I can let music play on YouTube in the background while I open other tabs to visit other sites? Youtube seems to stop playing about thirty seconds after I try to go elsewhere.
June 9th, 2019 at 9:58:39 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff
Anyone know how I can let music play on YouTube in the background while I open other tabs to visit other sites? Youtube seems to stop playing about thirty seconds after I try to go elsewhere.

Use Pandora, problem solved.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 9th, 2019 at 10:19:16 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Thanks, I just wiki'd them and discovered they have a free version. At 14.58 a month discretionary spending I can't afford any subscription services.
June 10th, 2019 at 9:31:16 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Pandora is totally free, subscription is just for ad free listening. It's likely the best app I've ever owned. What I originally hated (random songs in genre of artist as opposed to just that artists albums) has turned me onto so many new sounds it runs all day here, and has for years.

Spotify is good if you DO want to select an artist and listen to only them. Also free.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 10th, 2019 at 2:24:44 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Face
Pandora is totally free, subscription is just for ad free listening. It's likely the best app I've ever owned. What I originally hated (random songs in genre of artist as opposed to just that artists albums) has turned me onto so many new sounds it runs all day here, and has for years.

Spotify is good if you DO want to select an artist and listen to only them. Also free.
How do I get it to play in the background like youtube will while I'm doing other stuff on the puter?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 13th, 2019 at 1:31:53 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: petroglyph
How do I get it to play in the background like youtube will while I'm doing other stuff on the puter?
The same way, no? i.e. using tabs or more than one window. Perhaps you mean u-tube will do that on a smartphone and pandora won't?
June 15th, 2019 at 5:52:37 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Anyone know if the presence of a bluetooth beacon can be detected? it seems that even if your smartphone is off, grocery stores have dozens of concealed devices that measure how long you spent near certain items and data brokers then push ads and coupons to you if you lingered near the yougurt or something.

I only have a flip phone and don't get to go shopping much, but I still loathe the idea that such things are happening.
June 15th, 2019 at 8:50:21 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I finally did it, both the office and bedroom
laptops are solid state. Got one last fall,
and the 9 year old Dell in the office has
been acting up for months. Saw an
opportunity to buy a refurbished Dell
that was $1500 new in 2017 for under
$600.

Can't believe how slow the old Dell is
by comparison. Could'a gotten 16gb's
of ram, but I read you can't tell the
difference between 8 and 16, just
like 16 and 32 feel the same. Saved
a hundred bucks getting 8. Dude,
your gettin a Dell..

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 16th, 2019 at 5:48:51 AM permalink
odiousgambit
solid state? that sounds like '70s talk! you must mean something else

Quote: definition per link
1.(of a device) making use of the electronic properties of solid semiconductors (as opposed to electron tubes).

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&channel=cus&q=solid+state+meaning