NBC sitcom''s last hope

Page 3 of 8<123456>Last »
March 13th, 2015 at 7:22:27 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
Admittedly the oldest myths involve a one way trip into the future.

Thanks. I'd no idea.

Quote:
The oldest story involving going backwards in time and then returning to the present was written in Russia in 1836.

I wonder who first used a paradox or even mentioned it.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 13th, 2015 at 10:05:03 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
I wonder who first used a paradox or even mentioned it.

The word has been part of the English language for five centuries, and before that Old French and Latin. But it didn't have the meaning it does today. It is a compilation of para- "contrary to" + doxa "opinion". As "doxa" is from dokein "to appear" (see decent) it may have been used to describe eccentric behavior.

Nat Schachner, one of Isaac Asimov's favorite authors seems to have been the first to use the term in reference to time travel. Asimov was born in 1920, and Nat Schachner published his stories when Asimov was a teenager. I don't know an exact year.

Although phrases like "I must be cruel to be kind" are listed as paradoxes, I only think of the word in relation to time travel. I may be biased.
March 17th, 2015 at 2:19:53 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Dalex64

Yes, that was it!

I think I may have seen it once. I kind of remember a scene with a fridge full of blood in bottles.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 20th, 2015 at 7:24:33 PM permalink
Pacomartin
NBC has trotted out two more sitcoms this week on very limited runs. Undateable made it through 13 episodes last year, and is up for 10 more. "One Big Happy" is on a limited 6 episode trial run.

"One Big Happy" is about a straight man and a lesbian who are best friends (reverse Will and Grace) who decide to have a baby via artificial insemination. At the same a whirlwind romance results in him getting married to a woman about to be departed after knowing her for less than one week.

It sort of jumps the shark on the pilot episode. As Ellen Degeneres is an executive producer, she can probably count on some of her fans helping keep the show on the air.That's the nice thing about having a popular talk show. You can just use it freely to promote your other interests.

March 21st, 2015 at 11:43:01 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Looks stupid in the previews. Gender
humor, what a surprise.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 21st, 2015 at 1:21:51 PM permalink
Pacomartin
If you look at the half hour sitcoms presently alive on broadcast that are two seasons or more and in or headed to syndication the list is very short.

The only two shows known to the bulk of viewers are "The Big Bang Theory" and "Modern Family".

CBS
The Big Bang Theory (in syndication) renewed for 9th/10th season
Mike & Molly (in syndication) renewed for 6th season
2 Broke Girls in syndication in September 2015
Mom (promising 2nd season)

ABC
Modern Family (in syndication) renewed for 7th/8th season
The Middle (in syndication) 6 completed seasons
Last Man Standing available for syndication in September 2015
The Goldbergs (promising 2nd season)

NBC
nothing

FOX
New Girl available for syndication in September 2015
The Mindy Project (completed 3rd season with low ratings)
Brooklyn Nine-Nine (renewed for a 3rd season)
May 11th, 2015 at 11:21:42 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Broadcast is still not ready to give up on the sitcom. Ellen Degeneres' comedy about a man with a new British wife and a lesbian best friend who he impregnated got cancelled (big shock). But Undateable had good ratingss. NBC has moved out of direct competition and is putting it's first two comedies Undateable and "People are Talking" on friday at 8PM where they should vanish without a trace.

Fox's two returning stupid sitcoms Brooklyn Nine-Nine and The Last Man on Earth will rotate with their animated shows on Sunday nights, giving the non-Football crowd something to watch

Fox is also introducing on Tuesdays two sitcoms both with 51 year old handsome guys (John Stamos and Rob Lowe). . John Stamos is divorced and finds that he has a son and a granddaughter that he didn't know about. Rob Low plays a TV actor attorney who tries to become a real life attorney.
Grandfathered The Grinde

ABC will is going with 10 sitcoms (6 old and 4 new) to fill 8 spots on three different days. A big boost to the genre.

CBS announces lineup tomorrow.
February 10th, 2016 at 6:04:58 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I've only seen a few episodes ever, but Megan Fox is filling the shoes of Zooey Deschanel in New Girl.

Quote:
"She's phenomenal," Johnson said about Fox. "I didn't know her at all (prior). She is one of the easiest people to work with. She's kind, she's funny. She's also crazy and loves talking about aliens and lizard people, which makes work so fun," he laughed. "She's genuinely fun."

Sound like my type.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/megan-fox-girl-filling-zooey-deschanel-36814808
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 14th, 2016 at 11:10:41 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Sitcoms seem to be doing just as bad as ever at NBC, with the rare show, Superstore being renewed for more than 11 episodes. Fox's two attempts to get back to traditional sitcoms have failed, so they are sticking with shows that air to very young people. ABC has a renewed interest in ethnic sitcoms, only cancelling The Muppets. CBS only keeps a new sitcom if runs after TBBT (Life in Pieces with Tom Hank's son).

NBC
Superstore (renewed)
The Carmichael Show (only aired 10 episode but probably cancelled)
Crowded
Telenovela
Undateable
Truth Be Told

FOX
New Girl (season 5)
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
The Last Man on Earth
Grandfathered
The Grinder

ABC
Modern Family
The Middle
Last Man Standing
The Goldbergs
Black-ish
Dr. Ken
Fresh Off the Boat
The Muppets

CBS
Big Bang Theory
Life in Pieces
Mom
The Odd Couple
2 Broke Girls
Mike & Molly
Angel From Hell

Still nothing even in the same orbit as The Big Bang Theory.
May 14th, 2016 at 11:37:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Speaking of NBC, they did something really odd.
3 weeks ago they killed off the secondary main
character on Blacklist, Elizabeth Keene. She
had a baby and died in childbirth.

Now, this has happened before, on other shows.
It's a fake, she'll comeback. But the grieving
was very real, even by Reddington. If they
come back and say she's
still alive, it's going to look very phony. There's
no way Reddington would go thru the private
hell he did if he was just faking it.

I can't stand her character, and reading the reviews,
I'm not alone, She's not very bright, constantly
doesn't take Reddington's advice, constantly
tells him she's out of his life, only to immediately
return. It's a very very good show, and she's a
drag on it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 3 of 8<123456>Last »