Broadchurch

February 1st, 2015 at 3:35:49 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Broadchurch is a BBC series about the murder of an 11 year old boy in a small town in the south of England. It was remade as an American series, Gracepoint, and a will be remade into a French series Malaterra.

It is pretty gripping story, if a bit long. I would recommend it (on Netflix).
February 1st, 2015 at 11:15:54 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Pacomartin
Broadchurch is a BBC series about the murder of an 11 year old boy in a small town in the south of England. It was remade as an American series, Gracepoint, and a will be remade into a French series Malaterra.

It is pretty gripping story, if a bit long. I would recommend it (on Netflix).

Gracepoint was... not good. I watched it only for recognizing places in the city I live in. Five minutes of Broadchurch, and the acting is miles ahead of the US version... odd. Didn't watch it all, as I don't need to see it again quite so soon. Might watch season 2.

I think you also recommended Southcliffe... that was powerful, sad and depressing. Lots of looong silence and stares, and really had very few positive notes in it. It tells the tale of a man who goes on a killing spree in a small village in the UK, and the effects of it afterwards. Deals with grief, betrayal and loss. Fantastic TV in that was very uncomfortable watching it, but cause a reaction, which I say is the sign of good art. I can't imagine the US commercial TV doing something quite the same.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
February 1st, 2015 at 5:50:15 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: TheCesspit
I think you also recommended Southcliffe...

I didn't, but I will try and watch it. Sean Harris was in Prometheus.

I also liked Wallender (the British version). I did not see the Swedish version.
February 1st, 2015 at 8:22:07 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Scandinavian Noir, Tartan Noir, etc. all seem to embrace middle aged police officers whose careers and personal lives are failing, alcoholism, unrepentant theft, ethical violations, conflicts of interest, sexual relationships of questionable morality and at times questionable legality abound. Instead of the careful plodding of a by the book policeman in a French Roman Policiere novel there is more the inept stumbling of a near drunken, near dirty-old-man whose methods and morality are fit for the gutters in which he has spent his entire life.
February 1st, 2015 at 10:14:54 PM permalink
TheCesspit
I didn't, but I will try and watch it. Sean Harris was in Prometheus.

Yep. It also stars Rory Kinnear, who does a good job of the middle class man with a huge chip on his shoulder despite all his privileges, here and in other shows. It's just not a pleasant show. Odd seeing him after seeing his Dad play fat fools, suffering side kicks and downtrodden dads. He died filming the Return of the Three Musketeers.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
February 2nd, 2015 at 9:20:43 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Odd seeing him after seeing his Dad play fat fools, suffering side kicks and downtrodden dads. He died filming the Return of the Three Musketeers.

Not bad work for 30 years. Still it is a drawback of being fat. You can get a heart attack from unrelated injuries.

It tells the tale of a man who goes on a killing spree in a small village in the UK, and the effects of it afterwards

It is amazing how much murder figures into British lit. Considering that USA has an intentional homicide rate that is 14X as high as UK. The Oxford University Murder Mysteries have been written now for over 8 decades, making some people calling it the most dangerous place to live outside of Cabot Cover, Maine.
February 2nd, 2015 at 9:35:25 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Not bad work for 30 years. Still it is a drawback of being fat. You can get a heart attack from unrelated injuries.

Oh wow, I forgot he was in The Hill. I should go back and rewatch that.

Quote:

It is amazing how much murder figures into British lit. Considering that USA has an intentional homicide rate that is 14X as high as UK. The Oxford University Murder Mysteries have been written now for over 8 decades, making some people calling it the most dangerous place to live outside of Cabot Cover, Maine.

I though Midsomer was the most dangerous place in the world:

February 2nd, 2015 at 10:54:49 AM permalink
Pacomartin
I though Midsomer was the most dangerous place in the world:

Midsomer is a fictional place. Of course, so is Cabot cove. Oxford is (of course) real, but the names of the colleges are almost always fictional.
February 2nd, 2015 at 1:17:17 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Midsomer is a fictional place. Of course, so is Cabot cove. Oxford is (of course) real, but the names of the colleges are almost always fictional.

As a big fan of Morse (and Endeavour), the town and gown episodes are normally the best. There's several in the series that lack something when you don't get a few academics in.