Cuckoo Kaku?

January 31st, 2015 at 6:11:45 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Some to the things the scientist Kaku has been saying about the future of the mind in his book with that as the title is just plain wild.

If you haven't caught some of his stuff on TV, you need to catch up! Maybe buy the book. But I don't want to make a post that is TL/DR.

I only want to make one point, that the Schwarzenegger movie "Total Recall" came very close to being a really great movie; the problem was that the director [I guess he is the one to blame?] couldn't take the premise seriously it would seem. In any case the movie included a lot of silly elements that ruined it as a classic for me, although others seem to consider it such.

Now that the latest things are coming out as in this book, we see that just maybe downloading memory will be something that happens in the future, maybe in even my lifetime. What forms it will take, whether it is practical or not, all remains to be seen; those who predict the future often miss the mark. But in any case, the premise of the movie, this very thing, but false memories implanted by evil overlords, man! no reason to take this as a joke!

I see the movie was remade in 2012. It did not get particularly good reviews; however, stay tuned to this station and I hope to review it with the above in mind.

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 31st, 2015 at 1:28:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I saw the orig again just this week. It's
OK until they get to Mars, then it's
just silly. Looks like the set from Lost
in Space.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 31st, 2015 at 3:54:26 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: Evenbob
It's OK until they get to Mars, then it's just silly.

That's what I remember, been a while. What sticks out to me is the scene where Schwarzenegger and someone else wind up falling out into the Martian atmosphere, which would have killed them. Instead the scene shows them reacting like it kind of stung a little bit, then they were OK... and this reaction was clearly intended to be funny.
January 31st, 2015 at 7:08:33 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It was worse than that. Their faces bloated,
their eyes popped out, their lips got huge.
Like you could survive that.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 1st, 2015 at 5:51:54 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
You would think by now we would know what happens to someone/something in a vacuum or low pressure atmosphere.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
February 7th, 2015 at 4:24:40 AM permalink
odiousgambit
I saw the new remake of "Total Recall"and am reviewing it in another thread http://diversitytomorrow.com/thread/564/24/#post25718

More on Michio Kaku: the book is full of all kinds of amazing stuff, but in some TV appearances a couple of things really struck me:

*memory implantation has been successful in mice etc, and will be on the menu for humans soon enough. Alzheimer's patients could really benefit. He doesnt much address what evil men might do.

*what has been done for Stephen Hawking is amazing, and this will spread to maybe all of us for certain things, and with more applications. Hawking now types by just thinking; some chip implanted picks up the signals. This has already spread to artificial limb technology, some guys are now making their artificial hands work by thinking.

*new understanding of mental illness promises some cures