Glamping

Page 1 of 212>
January 18th, 2015 at 4:47:27 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I was wondering if anyone has had the experience of "glamping". I hadn't heard of it until I got a Christmas gift this year of three nights in a luxury yurt. The term comes from combining glamor and camping. It is camping in grand style.

A yurt is a nomadic dwelling, like a large teepee. They are usually temporary structures, but the one I stayed in was permanent. It had heat and indoor plumbing. It also had a small kitchen sink and a gas fireplace, a couch, two recliners, and a nice big bed. Maybe the only thing yurt like is that the walls were made out of canvas and its structure looked like a yurt.

It was on the grounds of a resort so I could walk to the restaurant everyday for lunch and dinner and there were lots of really good hiking trails. I got to read some good books and enjoyed my experience. However I don't know if I like the whole glamping idea.

It you are going to camp, go camping for reals. If you want some luxury then go for that. The combining of the two struck me as a way for people who couldn't handle the sacrifice and rigors of camping to get a watered down version of it to share and brag with their friends. Ultimately, what I valued most was the peace and seclusion for a few days. Next time I think I might just go stay in a monastery or go camping for real.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 18th, 2015 at 4:55:44 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: FrGamble

It you are going to camp, go camping for reals. If you want some luxury then go for that. The combining of the two struck me as a way for people who couldn't handle the sacrifice and rigors of camping to get a watered down version of it to share and brag with their friends. Ultimately, what I valued most was the peace and seclusion for a few days. Next time I think I might just go stay in a monastery or go camping for real.

DING DING DING DING DING!

It is no different than any other number of things a man is supposed to do a certain way or do on his own but yuppies contract out of it. I have a few well-off friends who will always take this option over the real thing. I don't get it but I am a guy who is putting a bee colony in my backyard and building a mini-foundry for fun. And who knows what other mischief after the weather breaks and I get more ideas.
The President is a fink.
January 18th, 2015 at 4:58:03 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I was wondering if anyone has had the experience of "glamping". I hadn't heard of it until I got a Christmas gift this year of three nights in a luxury yurt. The term comes from combining glamor and camping. It is camping in grand style.

A yurt is a nomadic dwelling, like a large teepee. They are usually temporary structures, but the one I stayed in was permanent. It had heat and indoor plumbing. It also had a small kitchen sink and a gas fireplace, a couch, two recliners, and a nice big bed. Maybe the only thing yurt like is that the walls were made out of canvas and its structure looked like a yurt.

It was on the grounds of a resort so I could walk to the restaurant everyday for lunch and dinner and there were lots of really good hiking trails. I got to read some good books and enjoyed my experience. However I don't know if I like the whole glamping idea.

I have a pop-up camper. Love it. 2003 Fleetwood Timberlake pop up. Its like a tent on wheels that I tow. Got all the candy, hot water heater for a hot indoor shower, heat, AC, 3 stove top burners, toilet, 2 beds, kitchen sink. table, seats ect. I take it to music festivals. Its like having a small apartment at a multi day festival. Music festivals are exhausting, but exhausting in a good way, its nice to be comfortable.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 18th, 2015 at 9:39:06 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: terapined
its nice to be comfortable.
Precisely. Some hikers take a piece of foam rubber to put under their sleeping bags, some rough it with the bag on the ground. Some opt for a nearby boat or camper that they can loop back to every few days so as to have a real mattress. And some drive these behemoth RVs with trailers and cars behind them. Its the old joke about what a (insert some ethnicity here) considers "camping" to be: The Maid's Night Off.

One man parks his RV at his daughter's home, they run a power cord out their window... and he visits for two weeks but she and her husband have a measure of normal privacy too. He then drives the RV to a multi-site film festival and has a "hotel room" real close by. One burner is fine for him, he only has one pot anyway. If he had more, he would have to wash them all the time.

In the Western USA some yurts will meet code requirements. Often countries developing Eco Tourism want to blend the money of the Yuppies with the adventuresome local environment, so some compromise is required. Some islands have gone one hundred percent marine reserve so as to attract yachtsmen's money.
January 18th, 2015 at 9:44:19 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: AZDuffman
I don't get it but I am a guy who is putting a bee colony in my backyard and building a mini-foundry for fun. And who knows what other mischief after the weather breaks and I get more ideas.
I thought 3D printing was going to put an end to foundries? Other mischief? Try building an Origami Steel Boat.
January 18th, 2015 at 10:10:02 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 19th, 2015 at 2:41:44 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
I thought 3D printing was going to put an end to foundries? Other mischief? Try building an Origami Steel Boat.

3D printing can't melt the cans and wire I have lying around. For now I will just make some ingots because I can. Still need to decide what to really make.
The President is a fink.
January 19th, 2015 at 6:32:57 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
It you are going to camp, go camping for reals.

If you want to go camping, you should have your head examined first ;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 19th, 2015 at 11:22:38 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The few times I've camped in my life I
was miserable. The whole point of modern
civilization is so we can live indoors and
no outside anymore. Even the motor homes
give the creeps. I hear people my age saying
they are buying an $80K home on wheels
and 'seeing the country'. Why would I want
to do that to myself. My idea motoring would
be touring in a new Lincoln and staying in
a resort hotel every night.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 19th, 2015 at 11:49:39 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Evenbob
My idea motoring would be touring in a new Lincoln and staying in a resort hotel every night.

You have that option. I know one woman who has lived in a marooned airstream parked behind a barn for the last several years.

Some with wanderlust travel by freight train despite the dangers. Some travel light and use a candle and coffee can for heat. It all depends on what we are willing to give up and what creature comforts we find overwhelmingly necessary.
Page 1 of 212>