And the Oscar goes to a movie you have never seen

Page 11 of 12« First<89101112>
April 2nd, 2022 at 1:11:51 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
My son, early 40's, started losing his hair so he opted to shave his skull.

It looked "OK" initially, but then he decided to grow out his beard: not long, just for that "grizzled look" that is fashionable: looks a lot better with the beard.

Me, I have most of my hair but a month ago I started growing my beard out for that grizzled look: I like it.
April 2nd, 2022 at 1:37:13 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: rxwine
Generally I would distinguish, that a true "disability" doesn't generally double as a fashion statement in other instances. If you're born with freckles all over, you may be distressed by it, but some people like that look. The effects of aging occur at different time. Some people go gray in their thirties.

Steve Martin = The comedian's hair and beard were originally a dark brown, but he went prematurely gray by the time he was 32, according to a Rolling Stone profile from 1977.

And more than a few people have a fit seeing the first gray hairs in their 50s. Distressing condition for some. Not for others.

It doesn't even matter. In every roast disabilities are on the table. I have seen people in wheelchairs, missing limbs, missing eyes, etc.... IE disabilities and conditions that actually effect people's lives be on the table.

Even if you want to grant that balding is a disability (which is a stretch to say the least), there is no reason that it should be off the table (when severe disabilities get no such protection). People losing their hair younger than they planned or their hair graying earlier than planned is not something I would have even slight sympathy for.

To be clear I am not saying in a professional or even social setting these issues should be touched or even hinted at (unless that is part of your dynamic with that individual). But, when you are expecting to get roasted, its completely different. Comics are going to prod at issues that make you uncomfortable and staddle the line, that is what the goal is (and that is generally the foundation for the best jokes).

I guarantee Steve Martin loses no sleeps over the endless jokes of him looking the same for the last 40 years. (And, if he did he would not be the great comic that he is).

Will Smith is a comic who is very wealthy and well known. If he can't take a joke about his wife naturally balding by another comic, he needs to grow up. There was zero justification for violence in response to words in a place that you chose to be.
April 2nd, 2022 at 1:47:59 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
There's also options. None of it is particularly awful to endure. I see they got rid of hair plugs.

Quote:
As technology has improved, hair plugs have been phased out by the newer FUT and FUE techniques. These newer techniques offer many advantages like quicker procedure times, a lower risk of scarring, and more natural results.

Early hair transplants took a long time. A study from 1971Trusted Source describes the process taking 16 weeks to complete a procedure for deep hairline recession.

In comparison, modern techniques take about 4 to 8 hours.

Decent wigs or hair pieces aren't prohibitively expensive at a couple thousand.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 3rd, 2022 at 8:26:22 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
Netflix and Sony have stepped away from their projects with Will Smith a week after he slapped Chris Rock at the Academy Awards.

Upcoming projects that Smith expected to complete have now officially halted as a result of the now-infamous Oscars slap, the CBC reports. The Netflix film “Fast and Loose” and Sony’s highly anticipated movie, “Bad Boys 4” have both been put on hold, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

If he was a known brand for mild or regular controversy, it wouldn't damage his brand relationships. But he's not.

Mel Gibson had the best reaction to being asked about his thoughts on this. He completely avoided it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 17th, 2022 at 8:21:46 PM permalink
Riverjordan
Threads: 23
I thought something along the lines of,"Meh, don't really care," when I first saw the "Will Smith slaps Chris Rock at Academy Awards. Lately, I have been looking up Everybody Hates Chris clips and Fresh Prince Of Bel Air clips for fun and there is copious amounts of comments referring the Will Smith slaps Chris Rock at Academy Awards, something I found old right off the bat. Ugh.
Alec Baldwin's gun should have been CGI. Would have prevented the tragedy. Facts.
April 17th, 2022 at 10:03:21 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Riverjordan
I thought something along the lines of,"Meh, don't really care," ...

How many billions of times has one man punched another man over something he said. Even among two friends. A slap is almost nothing compared to a punch.

Actors are simply upset about their ceremony being upended.

I did like Ricky Gervais comment about making a joke at the expense of a medical condition of a woman. He pointed out that he is balding, overweight and diabetic. How many jokes have been made at roasts based on men losing their hair?

Much Ado About Nothing
April 18th, 2022 at 6:32:46 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Pacomartin
How many billions of times has one man punched another man over something he said. Even among two friends. A slap is almost nothing compared to a punch.

Actors are simply upset about their ceremony being upended.

I did like Ricky Gervais comment about making a joke at the expense of a medical condition of a woman. He pointed out that he is balding, overweight and diabetic. How many jokes have been made at roasts based on men losing their hair?

Much Ado About Nothing

I disagree
A violent action by an adult over words sickens me
That's why it's against the law
Every society on the planet has agreed its wrong and have passed laws regarding this criminal behavior.
In my old neighborhood we had a 1 punch homicide
2 families devastated
One dealing with a dead teen
Another now dealing with an incarcerated teen
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 30th, 2022 at 7:18:48 AM permalink
Riverjordan
And... I continue to get unsolicited updates on the Will Smith slaps Chris Rock. I looked this up on YouTube the first day I heard about it, thought,"I really don't care all that much," and then never again looked it up and I continue to get unsolicited updates about it. Is this what the internet has come to? Throwing unsolicited updates about things people looked up one time? 🙄
Alec Baldwin's gun should have been CGI. Would have prevented the tragedy. Facts.
April 30th, 2022 at 10:34:55 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Riverjordan
And... I continue to get unsolicited updates on the Will Smith slaps Chris Rock. I looked this up on YouTube the first day I heard about it, thought,"I really don't care all that much," and then never again looked it up and I continue to get unsolicited updates about it. Is this what the internet has come to? Throwing unsolicited updates about things people looked up one time? 🙄

What's there to update
I saw it
Millions saw it
We are updated
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 30th, 2022 at 12:49:40 PM permalink
Riverjordan
Quote: terapined
What's there to update
I saw it
Millions saw it
We are updated

I keep getting unsolicited updates on Critics criticizing Will for not properly apologizing to Chris Rock for the slap. I do not really care! I looked up the slap only once the next day after it happened and didn't and don't really care. There doesn't seem to be a "Leave me alone," option to stop these unsolicited updates.
Page 11 of 12« First<89101112>