Petraeus resignation

November 10th, 2012 at 1:18:53 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Without knowing the details, we have a 60 year old man who had an affair after on his wife of 37 years. If the President can have sordid sex in the oval office with a woman less than half his age who is an employee, and that has nothing to do with his position, then why would Petraeus resign over this private affair.

Is the issue deeper than just an affair? Is he somehow being made the fall guy over a political issue? Or is he just a principled man?
November 10th, 2012 at 4:02:17 PM permalink
MonkeyMonkey
Threads: 0
Quote: Pacomartin
Is the issue deeper than just an affair? Is he somehow being made the fall guy over a political issue? Or is he just a principled man?

And while those are all interesting questions, what I would ask is: So what if he isn't Director of the CIA anymore, why can't he testify before congress? Lots of people who aren't the Director of the CIA have been able to accomplish this task, I wouldn't think it would be that difficult for him.

...Unless there's something "they" don't want him to say.
World's most discriminating Kool-Aid connoisseur
November 11th, 2012 at 4:19:48 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
As I understand it, he wasn't pressured to resign, but did it on his own accord. He probably just felt embarrassed about it.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 11th, 2012 at 7:53:01 PM permalink
98Clubs
Threads: 2
Right now I don't think there's any disagreement with the CAC. Behind closed doors, who knows... I'll speculate it may be about withdrawl schedulding.
There are four things certain in life... Death, Taxes, the Resistance to them, and Stupidity.
November 12th, 2012 at 2:19:34 AM permalink
Mooseton
This whole story just smells fishy. There has got to be some sort of unknown motive going on here,,,,, or I'm going paranoid.
November 12th, 2012 at 6:57:26 AM permalink
rdw4potus
Threads: 10
Quote: Mooseton
This whole story just smells fishy. There has got to be some sort of unknown motive going on here,,,,, or I'm going paranoid.

Yeah, it's definitely not quite right. On Saturday, CNN was reporting that the FBI told Eric Cantor about the affair in October; while NYT was reporting that the FBI didn't tell Clapper until 5pm last tuesday. If those are both true, someone at the FBI is in a shit-ton of trouble in addition to the actual issue(s) with Petraeus.
I'm not wearing any pants, film at 11
November 12th, 2012 at 7:07:11 AM permalink
MonkeyMonkey
Quote: Wizard
As I understand it, he wasn't pressured to resign, but did it on his own accord. He probably just felt embarrassed about it.

I don't know, that doesn't wash for me. Tiger Woods didn't resign from golf. Bill Clinton didn't resign the presidency.

I'm smelling the fish here as well. I don't know if he was pressured to resign, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was pressured to wait until after the election. And there's still the troubling bit about why the White House is saying he isn't available to testify before congress about his previous statements that seem untrue at best and an outright lie to deflect a scandal right before an election. If he's no longer Director of the CIA and now just a private citizen why does the White House have any control over whether he testifies before congress or not?
World's most discriminating Kool-Aid connoisseur
November 12th, 2012 at 11:21:14 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
This whole thing has certainly opened a can of worms. Another General seems to be caught up.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/us/top-us-commander-in-afghanistan-is-linked-to-petraeus-scandal.html
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?