Never hire from Columbia or UCLA Law Schools?

December 13th, 2014 at 6:12:43 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Earlier this week Columbia Law School decided it would allow students who felt bad about the recent twin Grand Jury decisions to ask to postpone their final exams. Law students at Harvard and other Ivy League schools soon demanded the same treatment.

Later, a UCLA Law Professor was attacked for daring to use the case as part of a current event question on an exam. Students were "offended."

Would you ever hire a lawyer form schools with a record like this? If they get this upset at something so simple, how will they handle a real case with possibly lives on the line?

Discuss
The President is a fink.
December 13th, 2014 at 1:13:49 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Lawyers are suing law schools all over
the country for lying to them. They were
promised good lawyerin jobs upon
graduation and law schools failed to produce
them. A new lawyer can expect to
go into just about any profession
except the one he was trained for.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 13th, 2014 at 4:27:59 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: AZDuffman
Earlier this week Columbia Law School decided it would allow students who felt bad about the recent twin Grand Jury decisions to ask to postpone their final exams. Law students at Harvard and other Ivy League schools soon demanded the same treatment.

Later, a UCLA Law Professor was attacked for daring to use the case as part of a current event question on an exam. Students were "offended."

Would you ever hire a lawyer form schools with a record like this? If they get this upset at something so simple, how will they handle a real case with possibly lives on the line?

Discuss

I totally support the protesters regarding Eric Garner.
Just saw pictures from New York tonight, looks like a very diverse crowd of protesters. I like that.
On the flip side, no postponement of final exams. That's absurd.
The offended student is absurd.
Also don't agree with protesters trying to shut down events or businesses.
As to hiring a lawyer, I wouldn't punish an entire group. I'm sure that there are students that are not offended or don't want to postpone.
Those that are offended or want to postpone probably cant cut the mustard anyway.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 13th, 2014 at 7:31:19 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Quite frankly I would not remember this to even let it be a factor. Kind of idiotic painting all the graduates the same because of some stupid news story anyways.
December 13th, 2014 at 7:44:28 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
Lawyers are suing law schools all over
the country for lying to them. They were
promised good lawyerin jobs upon
graduation and law schools failed to produce
them. A new lawyer can expect to
go into just about any profession
except the one he was trained for.

They thought life would be like L.A. Law. I have worked with a few, doing the same work as me or marginally senior to me. It is the same way with MBAs. A few high-level ones make big bucks. Lots of people hear and go to school. The top 10% of the class at the top schools get the big paydday in return for 100 hour weeks. The rest end up with an expensive piece of paper.

Quote: 1nickelmiracle
Quite frankly I would not remember this to even let it be a factor. Kind of idiotic painting all the graduates the same because of some stupid news story anyways.

It is not quite painting the graduates the same, it is questioning the education they received.
The President is a fink.
December 13th, 2014 at 8:00:20 PM permalink
Evenbob

It is not quite painting the graduates the same, it is questioning the education they received.

As always it's not your education that
gets you ahead, it's who you are. None
of these men had a degree.

Edison
Ford
Rockefeller sr
Ray Kroc
Dick DeVos (Amway)
Rush Limbaugh
Sean Combs
Steve Wozniac
Walt Disney
Dick Schulz (Best Buy founder)

Richard Branson dropped out of HS at 16
and later founded Virgin. How many billions
is he worth. Higher education is the new
flim flam, over sold and over promised, you
seldom get what you think you paid for.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 14th, 2014 at 5:38:05 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
As always it's not your education that
gets you ahead, it's who you are. None
of these men had a degree.

Richard Branson dropped out of HS at 16
and later founded Virgin. How many billions
is he worth. Higher education is the new
flim flam, over sold and over promised, you
seldom get what you think you paid for.

Correct and this is why I get upset when people blast Rick Santorum for saying fewer people should go to college. Now of course I want my doctor to have his degree. And of the guys above, most have some college. A few courses will help, though they need not be as formal as getting admitted.

As I have gotten older I find your degree has about a 10 year "Best Before" date on it. I have actually had to produce my diploma once. I assume it was checked one other time. The only catch is so much of what makes me marketable now is what I learned on the job the degree got me. However, I could have learned it elsewhere.

At this later point in life I just love seeing people who make their living by just hustling a little here and a little there. Maybe they jump in and out of things. Used to more respect people who moved up the corporate ladder. Then I learned how much you sell your soul to do that. Trying to be that person myself, have a few legs started now. Always trying to get more.

I know a guy who is almost 30, hasn't finished college and I keep hearing he is going back for a degree for whatever. Makes me want to scream.
The President is a fink.
December 14th, 2014 at 11:47:02 AM permalink
Evenbob

I know a guy who is almost 30, hasn't finished college and I keep hearing he is going back for a degree for whatever. Makes me want to scream.

It's sold as a degree is your passport
to money, happiness and everything
you could want. Not quite true when
everybody you're competing with has
the same degree. They say you forget
90% of what you learned in 4 years
unless you use the info on a regular
basis. So most degrees are a waste of
time, they're just the entry fee into the
game.

I know a guy who owns a job placement
agency. 10 years ago he said these recent
grads would stride into his office and have
a list of what they wanted in their first job.
High salary, rank, perks, pension, the works.
When he had to inform them they were lucky
to get a job as assistant manager at a mall
shoe store, some of them bawled like babies.

That was 10 years ago, now that mall job is
a good one, beats moving back home like half
of college grads have to do.