Resurrection on ABC

Page 2 of 2<12
March 9th, 2014 at 10:01:48 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Mosca
Mrs watched it, I messed around on the computer with an eye on the TV every now and then. It seemed like hogwash to me.

I went out with friends and missed it entirely. Except I didn't particularly miss it, if you know what I mean. Thanks for the report!
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
March 10th, 2014 at 12:36:12 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I never watch TV shows now unless they're a real hit with a
couple seasons under their belt. The one mentioned in
this thread looks like a dog to me, premise is too flaky.
Works as a shocker, boring in a series.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 10th, 2014 at 1:38:58 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Mosca
It seemed like hogwash to me.
I'm sure it was hogwash.
March 10th, 2014 at 4:57:03 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

I just watched the Resurrection premier, and as expected it is kind of the Disney treatment of the subject matter. With the exception of "Marvel's Agent of Shield" ABC has designed almost all of their programming so that it is trying to appeal to mostly women.

The French series on Netflix is much creepier and a lot more violent. It's also like a Robin Williams skit, as the French seem to react to everything by smoking a cigarette.

March 10th, 2014 at 6:20:58 AM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
My gf wanted to see it, so it was on in the background while I surfed Wizard's forums on my laptop. Absolutely awful. Opening scene, a white kid about 10yo is discovered alive in a Vietnam swamp and returned to America where he's picked up by a cop to figure out who he is and where he belongs. It's discovered kid disappeared 34 years ago. Kid is mostly unresponsive, so cop gets on his smartphone to pass the time. Kid shows mild curiosity in phone, so cop hands it to him as if to say "will this jog your memory?". Kid grabs it, holds it horizontally with both hands and immediately starts texting with his thumbs like he'd been doing it his whole life. I lol-ed, and gf says "you're not supposed to notice those things!"

Another time later, cop is interviewing a woman who is busy bar-b-qing some meat. Her henpecked husband enters the scene, and she tells him "Honey, dinner's in thirty. You wanna go get cleaned up?" He obediently goes to wash his hands, 30 minutes before dinner.

Whole theme was the religious-based weep-fest you'd typically find on Sunday evenings. I switched channels when gf answered her cell and never went back. I recorded Cosmos at the same time to watch this morning.
March 10th, 2014 at 11:52:25 AM permalink
Pacomartin
The French series on Netflix is getting darker and more twisted as I watch more episodes. I highly recommend it.
March 14th, 2014 at 9:04:05 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
I watched it on DVR with my wife and sister-in-law here in CT.

Total BS hogwash with religious undertones and so many holes you could drive a truck through it. Every single biologist, religious and paranormal journalist would be all over that town until it was figured out. There would be about 1,000 news vans parked in front of their house. And give me a break, the kid doesn't know what year it is, or that their parents are significantly older after supposedly being absent for what, a day or two?

Stupid and preposterous.

Now Cosmos, on the other hand, made me weep for joy. A science show on network prime time, based on a series by my hero, Carl Sagan, with executive producer credits to his widow, a Star Trek writer, and Seth McFarlane! Frickin' amazing!!!
March 19th, 2014 at 3:58:34 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: boymimbo
Stupid and preposterous.

The French series was more internally consistent. The returned all are from this small town in Savoy in the French Alps. They can have sex. They are much better looking. People don't act with joy when they see them.

The fact that the little boy comes back from the dead wearing the clothes he died in is a little strange. Presumably he wasn't buried in a t-shirt. The second person to be revived returns in the suit he was cremated in. It is entirely intact including items that were in placed in his pocket after he was dead.

One requirement of good fantasy is that it be internally consistent.
March 21st, 2014 at 11:28:15 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: boymimbo
Now Cosmos, on the other hand, made me weep for joy.

UhOh.. http://www.evolutionnews.org/2014/03/its_a_shame_rea083441.html

Good ol Carl, more a salesmen than a scientist. He was
selling atheism.

"Carl Sagan, now an icon of science and skepticism, was wrong. A lot. He engaged in pseudoscience and failed to apply scientific knowledge in his own writings."

http://www.skepticink.com/incredulous/2012/11/09/carl-sagans-stumbles/

http://www.dyeager.org/blog/2010/02/carl-sagans-belief-spite-facts.html
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 12th, 2014 at 2:25:33 AM permalink
Pacomartin
I think Ressurrection surprised executives as being not only the most watched new show, but the highest rated TV show out of ABC scripted lineup.

ABC scripted shows 2013-14 Viewers (mil)
1 Resurrection 10.22 million
2 Modern Family 10.09
3 Castle 10.00
4 Scandal 9.02
5 Grey's Anatomy 8.55
6 The Middle 7.98
7 Once Upon a Time 7.22
8 Marvel's Agents of SHIELD 7.21 (new show)
Page 2 of 2<12