Future of Cable TV

Page 34 of 34« First<31323334
February 19th, 2020 at 4:09:55 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: reno
Totally coincidentally, streaming services are also getting more expensive:

Live streaming is not really necessary outside of sports. Some people think "news" must also be live, but what most people call news is personalities talking about world events. You could get BBC World News for free, and not miss out on most of the world events.

Streaming services are going to become increasingly corporate centric.

For instance, you should be able to buy the following networks in one app since they are all owned by the same corporation.
Bravo
CNBC
E!
MSNBC
NBC
Oxygen
SYFY
Telemundo
Universal Kids
Universo
USA
February 19th, 2020 at 4:29:27 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
I don’t have traditional cable service, but I spend quite a bit on streaming services.

Hulu+Streaming Cable: $48
Netflix: $15
HBO: $15
Disney+: $6.99
Amazon: $8

$93/month is about the streaming equivalent of a premium cable subscription.
February 19th, 2020 at 4:30:44 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: Pacomartin
Live streaming is not really necessary outside of sports.

I agree. For comedies & dramas, I don't care if they're from last week or 4 years ago.

Some people think "news" must also be live, but what most people call news is personalities talking about world events. You could get BBC World News for free, and not miss out on most of the world events.

Yes. And for election nights or Presidential debates or State of the Union, my TV antennae is perfectly adequate for over-the-air broadcasts.

Streaming services are going to become increasingly corporate centric.

Incidentally, I bought Disney+ for my two young kids. Prior to the launch, there was a sale: a 3 year subscription for $144 including all taxes. That's an incredible bargain for my kids who loves Marvel and Pixar. That's the price of one and a half months of cable.
February 19th, 2020 at 5:56:55 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: gamerfreak
I don’t have traditional cable service, but I spend quite a bit on streaming services.

Hulu+Streaming Cable: $48
Netflix: $15
HBO: $15
Disney+: $6.99
Amazon: $8

$93/month is about the streaming equivalent of a premium cable subscription.

Actually it's a lot less and you don't have to watch commercials. For us:

$59.99 CATV basic subscription (No HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz)
$45.95 CATV non-optional surcharges (broadcast, sports, entertainment)
$6.13 CATV taxes and franchise fee
$112.07 total CATV

plus

$27.00/month: Equipment rental for TiVo DVR and three televisions that would cost $ hundreds to purchase or $18 for no DVR for three televisions.

CATV is sold to the same 80-year-olds that pay $800 a year for the local newspaper

===========================
There are rumors that some cable companies may be selling Sling TV subscriptions on special set-top boxes that are leased from the cable company. The target consumer would be the technophobes that are afraid of buying their own streaming devices, plus people who are frustrated with bad wifi, and don't have the skill or desire to wire their homes with an ethernet cable.

Roku Streaming Players as an example
Roku Express $29.99
Roku Premiere $39.99
Roku® Streaming Stick®+ $49.99
Roku Ultra $99.99
Roku Smart Soundbar Exceptional audio with a powerful Roku player built in. $179.99

Only the last two devices can be run on ethernet instead of wi-fi
Page 34 of 34« First<31323334