Delta and Asian flights

Page 1 of 212>
February 13th, 2018 at 12:10:58 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 773
This is probably a specific question for terapin, but I will post it

Yet, Delta has scheduled the first seven of its new flagship A350-900 aircrafton the following days
DTW: Tokyo-Narita Oct. 30, 2017
DTW: Seoul Nov. 18, 2017
DTW: Beijing Jan. 17, 2018
ATL: Seoul March 24, 2018
DTW: Amsterdam March 31, 2018
DTW: Shanghai April 19, 2018 (4th of 5 Asian routes from DTW. Only remaining is Nagoya)
LAX: Shanghai July 2, 2018

Delta Air Lines current flights to Japan (HND and NRT) and ICN in Korea
HND: Los Angeles, Minneapolis/St. Paul
ICN: Atlanta, Detroit, Seattle/Tacoma
NRT: Atlanta, Detroit, Seattle/Tacoma, Portland (OR),Honolulu, Manila, Singapore
NRT: Koror (ends 5 May 2018), Saipan (ends 6 May 2018), Shanghai–Pudong (ends 19 July 2018)

The problem is that Skyteam membership has 3 Chinese Airlines, 1 Tawain airline, 1 Korean airline, 1 Vietnamese airline, but ZERO Japanese airlines

Some people have suggested that Delta will move towards Seoul to work with it's Korean Air. But it is difficult to believe that they would give up on Japan entirely. What do you imagine this network will look like in two years? For example-

Delta Air Lines: possible future #1
HND: Los Angeles, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Portland (OR), Honolulu
ICN: Atlanta, Detroit, Seattle/Tacoma, Portland (OR), Manila, Singapore

Delta Air Lines: possible future #2
ICN: Atlanta, Detroit, Seattle/Tacoma, Los Angeles, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Portland (OR), Honolulu

Delta Air Lines: possible future #3
HND: Honolulu
ICN: Atlanta, Detroit, Seattle/Tacoma, Los Angeles

===========================
Delta currently has 24 nonstop routes to Asia Pacific from 7 USA airports
1 PDX
1 MSP
2 ATL
4 HNL
5 SEA
5 DTW
6 LAX
February 13th, 2018 at 1:40:42 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 40
Who goes to Japan?
Just kidding
Delta does not have partners in Japan like UA (NH) and AA (JL) but they do have 2 huge partners in China. MU and CZ.
I dont book much to Japan these days, seems everybody goes to China instead. I probably book 10 times more China then Japan
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 13th, 2018 at 2:28:41 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 332
Quote: terapined
Who goes to Japan?

People who like anime.
If Trump where half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be twice as smart as he really is.
February 13th, 2018 at 3:05:14 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 2
Looks like they are replacing the 747 routes with the 350.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
February 13th, 2018 at 3:09:14 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 2
That is exactly what they are doing.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/2017/10/20/the-airbus-a350-is-not-the-boeing-787-but-delta-loves-it/

The 350 is their new "flagship"
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
February 13th, 2018 at 3:15:13 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 5
Delta built a huge, beautiful atrium hub gate in PDX in 1990. Sorry to see them no longer jumping off from there as a West Coast-Pacific Rim hub.

It used to be daily except Saturday to Nagoya, Narita, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Seoul, all L1011. At some point, they added Beijing. Also at least 2 a day direct ATL, Royal Crown service returning, others to SLC, LAX, and JFK.

Next week will be 9 years retired FAA for me. Not the same to have worked consultant/contract tower since. Guess I'm very behind these days. I suppose things really changed when Delta bought Northwest, and it evolved to now, with PDX in disuse.

I still remember my local (tower) check ride with those guys coming in after 14 hours flight or so, and squeezing out a B737 in front of one. Had about 6001' spacing needing 6000'. Pilot of the L1011 cussed me out on the air. Supervisor said, "Yeah, now you're pushing some tin. Congratulations, you're certified.."
Holding on to anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die. -ersatz Buddha
February 13th, 2018 at 3:54:40 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Delta does not have partners in Japan like UA (NH) and AA (JL) but they do have 2 huge partners in China. MU and CZ. I probably book 10 times more China then Japan

For an airline with so many Chinese partners, they really don't seem to have many flights there.

DELTA ASIA FLIGHTS
> Detroit, MI
Beijing, China
Shanghai, China
Seoul, South Korea
Nagoya, Japan
Tokyo, Japan
> Los Angeles, CA
Shanghai, China
Sydney, Australia
Tokyo, Japan
> Seattle, WA
Beijing, China
Shanghai, China
Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Seoul, South Korea
Tokyo, Japan
> Atlanta, GA
Seoul, South Korea
Tokyo, Japan
> Minneapolis, MN
Tokyo, Japan
> Honolulu, HI
Fukuoka, Japan
Nagoya, Japan
Osaka, Japan
Tokyo, Japan
> Portland, OR
Tokyo, Japan
> Guam, TT
Tokyo, Japan
> Saipan, TT
Tokyo, Japan

DELTA EUROPE ONLY FLIGHTS
Boston, MA
Cincinnati, OH
New York, NY
Newark, NJ
Philadelphia, PA
Pittsburgh, PA
Raleigh/Durham, NC
Salt Lake City, UT
February 13th, 2018 at 5:40:42 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 40
Quote: Pacomartin
For an airline with so many Chinese partners, they really don't seem to have many flights there.

I don't sell them much to China. Not enough flights.
I mostly book UA to China and use CA to bounce them around China.
I do book a lot of DL to Europe because they have an extensive network with AF and KLM covering just about all cities in Europe.
Even though DL has a partner in KE, MU and CZ. The relationship is not that close. Often the fares are not interchangeable.
On the flip side, the DL relationship with AF and KLM is very close and the fares are interchangeable
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 14th, 2018 at 4:36:57 AM permalink
Pacomartin
On the flip side, the DL relationship with AF and KLM is very close and the fares are interchangeable

Delta is purchasing 25 Airbus A330-900neo which will presumably be outfitted with 293 seats to match their 31 A330-300s
The older Boeing 767-300ERs being retired have 211-226 seats.

Delta seems to be staking much of it's future on increasing TransAtlantic service in addition to Latin America. United seems to be primarily focused on growth in Trans Pacific.
February 14th, 2018 at 7:19:51 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 332
Early rumor has it Delta wants to be the 797's launch customer.

I'm trying very hard not to laugh.
If Trump where half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be twice as smart as he really is.
Page 1 of 212>