Firearms With Face

Page 46 of 47« First<4344454647>
October 18th, 2019 at 2:55:30 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 47
Atatiana Jefferson was in her home with a gun because she heard noises outside the house
A cop shot her from outside her house window and killed her
Been all over the news. Very high profile story. I'm sure everyone on the board heard it.
Atatiana Jefferson has a right to have a gun in her home without being shot by police
I would expect the NRA to be all over this supporting Atatiana Jefferson
but
They are not. In fact they are strangely silent
Why? Pretty weird
And now Foxnews did a segment defending the cop

I'm pretty shocked. I expected gun rights supporters to be going ballistic on this supporting Atatiana Jefferson
https://thegrio.com/2019/10/17/nra-silent-atatiana-jeffersons-killing/
https://www.mediamatters.org/fox-news/fox-news-guest-runs-defense-police-officer-who-shot-atatiana-jefferson-her-own-home

Is this because she is Black?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 18th, 2019 at 3:37:26 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Threads: 61
Quote: terapined
Atatiana Jefferson was in her home with a gun because she heard noises outside the house
A cop shot her from outside her house window and killed her
Been all over the news. Very high profile story. I'm sure everyone on the board heard it.
Atatiana Jefferson has a right to have a gun in her home without being shot by police
I would expect the NRA to be all over this supporting Atatiana Jefferson
but
They are not. In fact they are strangely silent
Why? Pretty weird
And now Foxnews did a segment defending the cop

I'm pretty shocked. I expected gun rights supporters to be going ballistic on this supporting Atatiana Jefferson
https://thegrio.com/2019/10/17/nra-silent-atatiana-jeffersons-killing/
https://www.mediamatters.org/fox-news/fox-news-guest-runs-defense-police-officer-who-shot-atatiana-jefferson-her-own-home

Is this because she is Black?

I'm afraid I can't help you too much... unless my lack of help helps.

I've been a critic of the NRA in years past. I was a fan in the 90s, looked to them as "an ally" in the aughts, but my impression of them continues to decline. I do not support them now (never been a member), and reference them only for practical purposes (they do have a wealth of knowledge). But rather than "stay the course" (IMO) they've fallen to the same power grabs and backroom BS that I feel most of the nation's big players are forced to engage in, if they are to stay "on top". I'm not so sure I'd go so far as to say they're a "foreign entity" (dunno if you've heard the Russian connections, and I've not pursued that knowledge myself), but the NRA is no longer The Place for folks like me. Gun Owners of America has filled their shoes in fighting the good fight via reason and good faith, and where I send likeminded folks these days.

I've no higher thought on this topic save for my typical cynicism. We have a major policing problem in the US. Turns out when you give police military weapons, you get enforcement via military action. That and many 5-0 are former military. A good soldier follows orders. A good cop is a diplomat. It's not a good fit. Many 5-0 are former athletes. Athletes succeed by physical force. A good cop succeeds with understanding. It's not a good fit. We have such a deluge of laws in the US it takes a man,... what is it, ace, 12 years to understand a specific segment? 5-0 get 6 months to understand it all. Add in misinformation about drug users, add in sensationalized, fear mongering cable TV, 200yrs of demonizing colored folk, and you get...

This. IMO, of course.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
October 18th, 2019 at 4:37:49 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 47
Quote: Face
I Gun Owners of America has filled their shoes in fighting the good fight via reason and good faith, and where I send likeminded folks these days.

Has the GOA commented on Ms Jefferson
Its the most high profile case in the news this week regarding a gun
I went to their website. It kind of sucked. Would not load properly and not easy to search to see if they have a position on this case
added edit
Chrome worked
Searched site, nothing on Ms Jefferson
GOA doesn't have a position or comment on this case. Wonder why
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 18th, 2019 at 5:22:59 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
There's not. That's not what they do, or at least how I understand it. They're activists, not infotainment. They don't write about incidents, they write Congress. Inform the public on their activities and provide counter misinformation. Sue infringing governments. They do work, and do it for us. No games, just pro gunnery.

A quick phone search showed a blurb about Limbaugh, but the rest was all suits and information about their current goings on (stop Trump and red flag, end capacity restrictions, why we need suppressors, e.t.c). No opinion pieces to be found.
October 18th, 2019 at 6:18:22 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 22
Looking forward to this arriving at a gun store near me: Really starting to like Keltecs. https://www.gunsweek.com/en/pistols/news/kel-tec-p17-new-22-long-rifle-semi-automatic-pistol-block

16+1, Face probably wouldn't like it?
Everyone gets thrown from the plane to maintain altitude
October 19th, 2019 at 8:30:15 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 24
Quote: petroglyph
Looking forward to this arriving at a gun store near me: Really starting to like Keltecs. https://www.gunsweek.com/en/pistols/news/kel-tec-p17-new-22-long-rifle-semi-automatic-pistol-block

Heavy gun, the article says 14 lbs when loaded. I assume they mean 1.4 lbs.
October 19th, 2019 at 10:34:36 AM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: DRich
Heavy gun, the article says 14 lbs when loaded. I assume they mean 1.4 lbs.

Different link: https://www.guns.com/news/2019/09/07/kel-tec-announces-p17-new-affordable-sub-200-pistol

"The polymer-framed pistol features a lightweight design, tipping scales at 0.8-ounces unloaded and a mere 14-ounces loaded. Offering 16+1 capacity, the P17 delivers a barrel length of 3.93-inches with an overall length of 6.65-inches. The barrel comes with the added benefit of 1/2×28 threads to accommodate suppressors and other muzzle devices."

Good catch DRich.
October 19th, 2019 at 6:41:30 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 24
Different link: https://www.guns.com/news/2019/09/07/kel-tec-announces-p17-new-affordable-sub-200-pistol

"The polymer-framed pistol features a lightweight design, tipping scales at 0.8-ounces unloaded and a mere 14-ounces loaded. Offering 16+1 capacity, the P17 delivers a barrel length of 3.93-inches with an overall length of 6.65-inches. The barrel comes with the added benefit of 1/2×28 threads to accommodate suppressors and other muzzle devices."

Good catch DRich.

I don't believe that is correct either. No way it weighs 0.8 ounces unloaded. 8 ounces I might believe.
October 19th, 2019 at 7:55:33 PM permalink
petroglyph
Not my day for references
October 20th, 2019 at 8:56:21 AM permalink
Face
Administrator

Because of 16+1? Only problem with 16+1 is they still run out lol. Emperor Cuomo is the one who doesn't like it, but we DGAF what he thinks, now, do we?

I noticed the 14lbs too. Made me stop my gardening and do the math real quick lol.

I "don't like it" because it's a plastic plinker auto. Nothing against them, it's just not what I like. Though if I didn't have my AMT or 442, something like that WOULD be desirable for a city carrier. Small and capacious, light, doesn't rust or scratch, everything you'd want. No complaints from a gunner standpoint, it's just that I'd rather carry, I dunno, a 12g sawed down to 14" lol. Yeah, like a repeating blunderbuss. That's the ticket! =)

/sigh. Jealous, petro. Oh, to live in a free state.
Page 46 of 47« First<4344454647>